No announcement yet.

Rear Shock/ Front Forks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cool. Thanks BigO! I'll give them a look. Surely their shipping will be less than the UK guys. That 112.00 is bullshit.
    I'm trying to get all the stuff I'll need so I can do all of it in one tear down. That way I'll be ready when we get some
    decent weather besides this rain/cold or just plain ole cold. My old bones (and other parts)can't handle the chill like I used to.
    "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

Comment

Anyone know about a YSS shock for the Zed?
      it’s the MZ456 model from YSS

Comment

Where are you Charlie? I've got a complete new set of 05 forks with triple tree that I bought from someone on here(Pilot? I think). I never got around to installing them. I gave him 2bills for them and picked them up local. I'd like to get back what I've got in them. Shipping would be costly tho. I'm a truck driver and I'm based in Denver. I go to LA a lot, so if we could meet somewhere on route I could probably deliver.

Comment

I’ll keep that in mind. As far as shipping, we could figure that out at the time. I’m in Alabama so drop off / pick up ain’t happening, ha. I’m interested though. I’ll let you know. What’s that zip out there and what’s the weight? No hurry

Comment

When y'all get around to checking on shipping costs, check out shipnex.com as they are the cheapest I've found if the package isn't too big or heavy.
            Last edited by Leo; 03-11-2018, 09:31 PM.
            "Here's to our men in uniform. ALL uniforms." Maximus
            "If you can't get it done on a ZZR1200, you can't get it done on a 14 either." CrazyTrain
            "If the space shuttle didn't keep exploding it would be a pretty good space ship." helodoc
            "Re: Turbo-Connie: It had to be done...
            Like putting a solid-fuel rocket booster on a wheelchair." Danno

Comment

Nonmadnomad, PM sent

Comment

Originally posted by CHARLIE View Post
                Nonmadnomad, PM sent
                PM answered.

Comment

My 5c ... The main problem is the forks. I had an 05 with the adjustable rebound, fitted a fork brace, and changed the oil for a Motul synthetic 5W. And nothing really helped. I was able to get decent rebound with the heavier oil, but then compression was too stiff. Although the fork brace certainly helps, the fork tubes themselves are too small and flex.

Really, it needs a new front end. I did think seriously about it, but living in NZ it would have been too difficult and expensive to source all of the parts. Much simpler and probably cheaper to buy a ZX14, although I now have a 99 R1 that I tour on sometimes. You can't ride that far in NZ though :)
                  "You don't get slower with age, you just get more cautious." Michael Rutter

06 Ocean Blue ZZR1200, the coolest colour.
                  99 Yamaha R1

Comment

With my street riding, no track days, I'll go with the 05 setup over my 02 units. My old ass probably won't need much help.
                    Shit, anything is better than this wore out shit on it now. I ain't for modding it up for my needs. Plus, it would probably
                    cost more than it's worth to modify it with some better inverted type. Like I said, for street use and my abilities, I think
                    they'll work out ok. Plus I'm going with a better aftermarket shock/spring on the rear so it should be like a motogp
                    bike compared to now.

Comment

With my street riding, no track days, I'll go with the 05 setup over my 02 units. My old ass probably won't need much help.
                      Shit, anything is better than this wore out shit on it now. I ain't for modding it up for my needs. Plus, it would probably
                      cost more than it's worth to modify it with some better inverted type. Like I said, for street use and my abilities, I think
                      they'll work out ok. Plus I'm going with a better aftermarket shock/spring on the rear so it should be like a motogp
                      bike compared to now.
                      That's kinda what I was thinkin when I bought this 05 set. And that they might make the bike worth a little more when time comes to sell. My days of "rippin the twisties" are pretty much gone, I can't take the chance of bustin myself up like I used to. The bike handles ok now for the type of riding I do. Plus, I changed jobs and Moved to Denver so I don't have time to ride anymore, much less work on it.

Comment

bike compared to now.
                        I'd suggest changing the oil on the new forks. The factory stuff is like water.

99 Yamaha R1

Comment

I was planning on that. Factory stuff is 5W as well. Ain't gonna cut it. Going with 10W or 15W Maxima or equivalent.

Comment

Sent you a PM Charlie.
                            I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

Got it, and once again, thanks.

Comment

I was planning on that. Factory stuff is 5W as well. Ain't gonna cut it. Going with 10W or 15W Maxima or equivalent.
                                Sorry, I actually used Motul Factory Line Medium in the Zed, which Motul rate as a 7.5 weight. (I checked the container). A 5 weight might have been better as then I could have used the rebound adjustment. But if you live somewhere hot, it would probably be about perfect.

The factory oil is Kayaba 01, which is thinner than most 5 weight oil. But fork oil weight depends on who makes it, so it's best to use viscosity to compare. Here's a link to a table if you're interested: http://mahonkin.com/~milktree/motorcycles/fork-oil.html

99 Yamaha R1

Comment

Working...
                                X