Rear Shock/ Front Forks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Shock/ Front Forks

Ok, this is another subject that has had lots of ink. What? (if any) other rear shocks that can be easy modded or adapted to the 02 ZZR1200?
    Without having to buy an aftermarket unit that is way too $$$ for my budget. Also would some of the later model front fork sets out there
    (the ones with preload and rebound adjustments not on the 02 Zed) or just rebuild the ones on it. I hope I can find some answers 'cause
    I think mine are basically shot.
    "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

I think you're fooked on any kind of rear shock other than OEm unless you want to pay big bucks as you said. However, you might be able to ship the rear shock off to Traxxion Dynamics or Race Tech and they can probably rebuild it for you. I'm guessing around $300-$400 for a rebuild. Might be less though. Give em a call.

As for the forks, any forks from an 04-05 (more adjustable than yours) will slide right into the triples with no fuss. I believe site member ZZ-r had a pair he was selling at a reasonable price. Shoot him a PM.

That's all I got.
    I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

See the first OP.

https://zzrbikes.com/forum/general-z...om-the-factory

He used a ZX9 shock.

dinky

Comment

I used to get a lot of stuff from race tech back in the stone ages.
        Young men know the rules, OLD men know the exceptions.

Comment

Originally posted by eteach01 View Post
          I used to get a lot of stuff from race tech back in the stone ages.
          Yeah, Racetech is still going strong - I'm planning to revalve the R1 forks with their stuff.

If you check their website, this is what they say about the Zed forks and shock, which doesn't leave many budget options.

Non-rebuildable (sealed) cartridge

Stock shock is non-rebuildableebuildable (sealed) cartridge.
          Stock shock is non-rebuildable

I don't know if the later model forks are worth it - the rebound adjustment didn't seem to do much on my 05.

For me, the suspension really was the main negative about the Zed. I usually ride on back roads, which are quite bumpy with tight corners near where I live, and the forks especially weren't great.
          Last edited by Moise; 11-17-2017, 04:33 PM.
          "You don't get slower with age, you just get more cautious." Michael Rutter

06 Ocean Blue ZZR1200, the coolest colour.
          99 Yamaha R1

Comment

I was OG on the ZZR12 mods, Morpheous had the wherewithal to complete the build on his Zed. Lots of research on my part, wasted monies and parts pile. I still have the files and have no problem sharing as I did with Morpheous. Myself, as time has moved on, I'd go 2nd Generation 'Busa for the improvement in braking and suspension, to my knowledge, fork length was unchanged so Trail would remain the same with the forks even with the top Riser. Rear shock, hooboy. ZX-9 was the only candidate yrs ago and I'm sure it's the only OEM option without going aftermarket. Mounting method and length are the main precursors and it's inhibiting. Research. Spend the time. It's out there,you just have to dig.

Comment

Oh, and Casper is still here at the casa, neglected and forlorn.

Comment

Back on this again. I have decided to go aftermarket on the rear shock situation. I'll just rebuild the front myself looks like.
                Which aftermarket rear setups does anyone recommend? I've looked at the HyperPro and the YSS units out of the UK
                but was wanting some good input on someone who has gone this route and what was their opinion on the one they tried.
                I know it's a lot of $$$ but at this point I've had it for 15 years and don't want a new one....yet. It's an 02 ZZR1200

Comment

Originally posted by CHARLIE View Post
                  Back on this again. I have decided to go aftermarket on the rear shock situation. I'll just rebuild the front myself looks like.
                  Which aftermarket rear setups does anyone recommend? I've looked at the HyperPro and the YSS units out of the UK
                  but was wanting some good input on someone who has gone this route and what was their opinion on the one they tried.
                  I know it's a lot of $$$ but at this point I've had it for 15 years and don't want a new one....yet. It's an 02 ZZR1200
                  Did you ever reach out to Traxxion Dynamics?

If it can be rebuilt I'm sure they can do it for probably 1/3rd the price of a complete aftermarket unit. They 'll respring and possibly revalve it for your weight and riding style.

I'm telling ya, give em a call
                  I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

Nobody I've contacted will rebuild a rear on the Zed. Said, "throw it away and buy another one".
                    Which if I can pick up a good aftermarket unit for around 5-600 bucks, hell I recon that ain't too
                    bad. I'm keeping the ole girl forever, so not that bad, ha. Some aftermarket rears I have found are twice that.
                    For the front, I think I'll find another set of forks, prolly the 05 ones with rebound settings, rebuild them with better springs
                    then just swap out for the ones I have on it and have spares.
                    Last edited by CHARLIE; 02-03-2018, 05:41 PM.

Comment

Well, if Traxxion Dynamics told you they couldn't rebuild yours then I guess you don't have a choice.

Is Hyper pro only wanting $500-600 for their unit?

Also, as I mentioned before, ZZ-R (Troy) has/had an 04-05 shock for sale.

Comment

Keep an eye open on eBay for an aftermarket rear shock. You may get lucky and find one for a reasonable price. Good luck getting it sorted. I ran an ohlins rear and put heavier ohlins springs in the front of my ZZR1200. It made a big difference in the way she handled. If I recall correctly the front springs were reasonably priced, the rear shock not so much. ☹️

"I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it!"

Comment

Originally posted by NotDeadYet View Post
                          Keep an eye open on eBay for an aftermarket rear shock. You may get lucky and find one for a reasonable price. Good luck getting it sorted. I ran an ohlins rear and put heavier ohlins springs in the front of my ZZR1200. It made a big difference in the way she handled. If I recall correctly the front springs were reasonably priced, the rear shock not so much. ☹️
                          Found this one.Ebay item #142649393319
                          I think this ain't a bad deal with what I've found so far

Comment

Price looks good until you get to $112 shipping charges

There has to be a US supplier

Comment

Hey Charlie,

Here is a Hyper Pro dealer in the United States.

http://epmperf.com/

A lot of BMW riders swear by them.

Maybe they can help you too.

At the top of page #8 they have a ZZR shock listed for $529.

http://epmperf.com/wp-content/upload...ces-6-2017.pdf

Give em a call
                              Last edited by BIG O; 02-04-2018, 11:27 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X