Stick coils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stick coils

I sold my ZRX1200 not too long ago, but removed the stick coil setup.

Stick coils and harness are now for sale, asking AUD $75, plus postage.

They will also fit the ZZR1200, or even the ZZR1100.

NewWiring.jpg
    Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement.

Bill, can I put my name on them until we can catch up?
    Always have a go yourself. Remember that a novice built the Ark. And experts built the Titanic.

Comment

Sure thing!
      So, tentatively sold.
      Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement.

Comment

I found these were a noticeable improvement. Its not an expensive mod.. the wiring is fairly simple if you do it yourself. The bike idles better.. slightly better power in the midrange and your eliminating a lot of parts that can wear out and fail...

Comment

Hey Bill I found your number. Talk later today.
          Always have a go yourself. Remember that a novice built the Ark. And experts built the Titanic.

Comment

IMG_3396.JPG

Brendon, layout:

IMG_3395.JPG

Note the colours for each cylinder.
            Last edited by BillDownUnder; 11-22-2020, 04:33 AM.

Comment

On another note, I installed some of those stick coils (off a ZX-10R) on my ZX11D many years ago. They indeed clear off a lot the area over the cylinder head cover and this is the main reason I wanted to install those. But, maybe because my buttmeter is defective, I saw absolutely no gain in power or idling.

However, they did introduce a hot starting problem that was often present. I had to fiddle a lot to find the cause of it but never did. In a last resort move, I installed back the OEM coils and the hot starting problem vanished forever for about the three last years I had my 1100. And I know I am not the only ZX11 owner that got this problem. Not everyone had it though...

I believe those coils are more "wattage hungry" and can create problems on some bikes with marginal power output.

Comment

The opposite with mine. They have eliminated the hot-starting problem.
                There was never any gain in power, they don't give the bike any extra "horses".
                But, my idiing improved.

Comment

Another thought on starting and idle improvements. The installing of a 4deg advancer
                  my Zed, it starts and idles a lot better. You just bump the starter and it's running. It runs
                  better at all RPM ranges too. I run 93-94 octane as well, which is more expensive
                  but won't break the bank on a motorcycle.
                  "If it ain't broke, don't fix it...
                  but sometimes it just needs a mod"

Comment

There are good technical reasons why replacing the standard coils with stick coils is not a great idea. I tried them on the R1, and it certainly idled better and was smoother cruising at light throttle.

But the engine would cut out sometimes at low revs, which I could not get to the bottom of and made me nervous for the long term health of the igniter.

I subsequently found that a set of iridium plugs provided many of the same gains with the added benefit that spark plug life is at least doubled.
                    "You don't get slower with age, you just get more cautious." Michael Rutter

06 Ocean Blue ZZR1200, the coolest colour.
                    99 Yamaha R1

Comment

I have had absolutely no issues using them on my ZRX, nor on my ZZR.
                      Both bikes use the 4 degree advancer mentioned by Charlie, as well as iridium plugs.
                      All good for a number of years now.

Comment

Working...
                      X