Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommended shops for tune ups & repairs near Surprise, AZ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is a lot of money for a carb service.
    Try pouring some carb cleaner additive into your tank for starters.
    Perth, Western Australia.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” - Oscar Wilde

Comment

Or, perhaps you have a fouled plug.

Comment

Good idea

I have half a can of Seafoam I'll put in the tank. We'll see what it does.

Comment

Do the easy stuff first - fresh gas, Seafoam, Techron, fuel filter.

While I am master of my sword, I shall never think any man greater than myself.
          ~Eumenes of Cardia

I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth. ~Steve McQueen

I work over by worlds of fun. ~JimmyMac

My photo album - http://zzrbikes.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=146333

Comment

After a half can of Seafoam, she seems to be idling better and running more smoothly at lower rpm's. Ran her harder than usual to blow out carbon for about 20-30 miles

There were a few odd moments before things smoothed out - stalled at a stoplight, which has never happened before. Faint white smoke seemed to be coming from the front of the engine (Headers? Small exhaust leak?) that went away after a few miles. Started without using the choke for the first time in my ownership after sitting for a few hours, too.
            Will keep you posted if it starts acting up again. Thanks for the feedback and input, all

- Chuck

P.S. - I'm still interested in learning how to work on carbs and anything else with these bikes if anyone is having a tech day or garage meet up to wrench.

Comment

A bunch of helpful how-to's here: http://www.camcycle.net/HowTo/howto.html

Nice touring setup!
              “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”...Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Originally posted by Lil_Silver_Rocket View Post
                After a half can of Seafoam, she seems to be idling better and running more smoothly at lower rpm's. Ran her harder than usual to blow out carbon for about 20-30 miles

There were a few odd moments before things smoothed out - stalled at a stoplight, which has never happened before. Faint white smoke seemed to be coming from the front of the engine (Headers? Small exhaust leak?) that went away after a few miles. Started without using the choke for the first time in my ownership after sitting for a few hours, too.
                Will keep you posted if it starts acting up again. Thanks for the feedback and input, all

- Chuck

P.S. - I'm still interested in learning how to work on carbs and anything else with these bikes if anyone is having a tech day or garage meet up to wrench.
                Glad the Sea Foam did the trick

Where you located?
                I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

Originally posted by BIG O View Post

Where you located?

Would that be Surprise, AZ ?

Comment

It would be at that

Comment

Update,

I added another 1/2 can of SeaFoam to the gas tank at fill up with 91 yesterday. Rode 50+ miles with zero issues. Ran like a champ!

Today, it would not start at full choke. Had to turn the choke off & use throttle to get it to light. Would not idle without using the throttle for 3-4 min. before it would stay on without manual assistance.

Lots of backfires, rough idle, and is running rough. Feels like it is "Chugging" at all rpm's now. Took it on the freeway for 10 miles to see if she'd clear her throat, but no luck.

I contacted Steve earlier as I mentioned when the bike wasn't idling correctly (See previous posts), but am having challenges getting the bike there within his business hours (7am-2pm M-F, no weekends).

Got any other shops or individuals you'd recommend?

Thanks in advance,

Chuck

Comment

And...She's back to running right again

I guess 1/2 can of SeaFoam is too much in a tank of gas for her. Down the road, I'll likely try 1/4 or so if needed.

Filled up with 91 at about a half tank, and all was well again. As they told us in Science class, "Dilution apparently is the solution."

- Chuck

Comment

Good news!
                          I guess there is no cold weather there to stop you from going for a ride, so you can make the most of it.
                          Are you planning on adding seafoam on a regular basis?

Comment

I was thinking of adding a small amount at fill ups, but haven't come to a definitive decision yet. Do you run SeaFoam regularly?

Comment

Techron is a good cleaner to use regularly. It has the advantage that it doesn't just clean the carbs but removes deposits from the inlets also.

I keep some at home and try to use it every few tanks.
                              "You don't get slower with age, you just get more cautious." Michael Rutter

06 Ocean Blue ZZR1200, the coolest colour.
                              99 Yamaha R1

Comment

I don't add anything to the fuel in the tank. I do spray a little WD40 into the tank lock to keep it from blocking up and therefore not creating a vacuum in the tank.
                                Last edited by BillDownUnder; 01-14-2021, 06:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X