Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fuel tank smell, can you spot a problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel tank smell, can you spot a problem?

Hey guys.

I have had a problem with my Zed ever since I got it about 4 months ago.

It came with an after market filler cap on, just a twist thing with no key. I bought the bike into my house and it stand of fuel coming out of the cap.

I bought a legit new Kawasaki filler cap but it didn't solve matters.

I can always smell petrol strongly coming out of the cap even up into my helmet when I ride which isn't good if I am getting high on the fumes while riding a scud missile lol.

Also I am worried fuel may gush out the tank dousing me in fuel :(

Hopefully there is an image attached. The top image is my tank and filler cap, and the bottom image is one I took off a tank for sale on ebay also for a ZZR 1400 and also for an 07 plate like mine, but they look different.

The bottom image seems to have a rubber ring around it that mine doesn't have, also inside the filler neck mine has an oval and the other one is round.

I couldn't see on the microfische thing a rubber ring that goes with this, so what part am I missing?

If anyone knows how to solve this that would be wonderful and if anyone knows why the two diff styles of inner filler neck that would also be interesting.

I'm now going to go for a ride holding my breath lol.

Many thanks in advance :)
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.
    Kawasaki ZZR 1400 - Black Widow 200mm 3k Carbon Silencers (blue tip) - Colour Angel Eyes - CNC Preload Adjusters - Valtermoto Exhaust Brackets - Single Seat Cowl - Rearsets - ZX14 Heel Plates - Stubby Levers - Renthal Grips - Goodridge Hoses - Brembo Pads - Puig Short Bar Ends

Check your fuel tank vent hose it is probably plugged or kinked.
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.

Comment

Thanks a lot mate I will have a look :)
      Kawasaki ZZR 1400 - Black Widow 200mm 3k Carbon Silencers (blue tip) - Colour Angel Eyes - CNC Preload Adjusters - Valtermoto Exhaust Brackets - Single Seat Cowl - Rearsets - ZX14 Heel Plates - Stubby Levers - Renthal Grips - Goodridge Hoses - Brembo Pads - Puig Short Bar Ends

Comment

You can get to it by removing seat and maybe the tray above battery. It's on the rear right of the tank I think.
        Runs down inside the frame rail to that wire loop on the swing arm. Also check around the airbox to make sure
        the drain hoses on the lower back of it have not come off, and there is a larger hose on the lower right of the airbox
        that can come lose if not secured after services. Look for a rubber plug on the back lower airbox as well. Do you have
        a service manual or PDF? I have an aftermarket fuel cap on mine, I just got tire of using the key to open the OEM.
        Last edited by CHARLIE; 10-09-2021, 06:50 AM.
        "If it ain't broke, don't fix it...
        but sometimes it just needs a mod"

Comment

Thanks for that Charlie. Next day I get to inspect the bike I'll reference this and have a good look around.

Yes I have the PDF manual.

I do fancy an aftermarket one, but it came with one on and had a real strong smell of fuel coming out the cap, so I bought a replacement new one with key and that hasn't changed matters, it's like it's not sealing correctly.

I'll investigate :)

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
          X