Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let the ZX14R Valve Adjustment Fun Begin!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let the ZX14R Valve Adjustment Fun Begin!

So, here we go! Before I start tearing off plastic, a couple more quick questions-
    - What are the odds I will need a new valve cover gasket? Bike is now 6 years old. Order one with my spark plugs?
    - Any other parts (aside from maybe a manual cam chain adjuster) I should consider?
    - What value do I torque the cam bearing caps to?

I am mixed on doing the PAIR system elimination. Don't want to cause any electronic problems for myself.

G
    "The Price of Speed is Eternal Vigilance" 2015 ZX14R 30th, Four Kids

I would do a new gasket.

Always nice to have a extra hand full of all those little various size plastic pop rivets on hand if you don't already.

Dry silicone spray used on fairing parts that squeeze/slide together.

Couple of small bungee cords to hold cam chain after removing cams.

white paint marker to mark chain/cam sprocket locations.

Our ability to distribute interesting information is out pacing our ability to create it.

Comment

Thanks- where do you get those plastic rivet thingies?
      I was gonna use white-out to mark the cam sprockets and chain.

Comment

Originally posted by gregness View Post
        where do you get those plastic rivet thingies?
        Kawasaki. I order a few of each size and those pesky O shaped plastic cable holders too. Always
        nice to have a few extra on hand.

Our ability to distribute interesting information is out pacing our ability to create it.

Comment

Be ready to spend two days in your garage
          I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

Also, you might take some pics as you go.

They'll come in handy when plugging all of the electrics back in and showing you how things were routed.

You have a shim kit already laying around?
            I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

I do not have a shim kit. I was wondering if I should wait and see what I need before ordering, or getting a set of the most commonly needed sizes would be a good idea. And I plan to take MANY pictures as I go!

Comment

Order what you need and a few extra.

Rocky Mountain ATV, $1.95 each including 1/2 sizes. Been using these for years.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...x-valve-shim-p

Comment

If it is anything like the ZX12R, I found it easier to get at places with the front wheel removed.
                  Perth, Western Australia.
                  “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” - Oscar Wilde

Comment

I know it would be easier and probably faster if you just took the engine out. LOL!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Well today was Day 1. After spending 6 hours exposing and removing the cam cover (w/o pulling the throttle bodies) I was finally able to check my valve clearances. To my surprise they are all within spec. Tightest intake is at a loose .16 MM, the others all around .18 MM, and three exhausts are at a comfy .23+, with one at .25MM. I am not pulling the cams to put my valves into the middle of the range. So tomorrow I will put it back together, with new oil and filter, new air filter, new coolant and new plugs. Plugs did not look that bad, but what the hell it takes 6 hours to get to them...
                      I consider it to be a major accomplishment not to have broken any of my seven year old plastic bits taking it apart!

G

Comment

Job well done!

"I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it!"

Comment

You lucky bastage!!

Comment

A bit of post ho'ing. I too waded in to the valve pool. First time I've ever been this deep in to an engine. #4 exhaust valves are at .102 mm so I suppose I should adjust those. Need to find some shims. Carbs are rebuilt. Revzilla is shipping me two out of the four plug gaskets I ordered. Hopefully I remember how to reassemble it.

Comment

Originally posted by slayman View Post
                              A bit of post ho'ing. I too waded in to the valve pool. First time I've ever been this deep in to an engine. #4 exhaust valves are at .102 mm so I suppose I should adjust those. Need to find some shims. Carbs are rebuilt. Revzilla is shipping me two out of the four plug gaskets I ordered. Hopefully I remember how to reassemble it.
                              Hehe.

I did the valves on my ZZR at 50K miles and a number of them needed new shims. Everything seemed to go back fine, but when I tried to start it there was a bunch of misfires w/o an actual start. Several hours of troubleshooting and found that I had miswired the coils. Felt like I dodged a huge bullet.

Comment

Working...
                              X