X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• piken
    replied
    Originally posted by bretb View Post
    Piken, it looks like in your pic you folded or rolled the rubber cover back, or is that a cover over the intakes? And, not for nothing, but having the radiator out of the way makes massive amounts of room on the front side by the look of your picture. Might have to consider doing the same thing.

Yes, rubber blanket rolled back. Radiator only like couple bolts and couple of hoses. With all that cleared away plenty of room to work.

Couple of bungee cords and paint marker and everything goes back exactly as taken apart.

I did mine around 17k clearances where pretty good, only couple of exhaust and a intake were a little tight.

val-bung.jpg

Leave a comment:

• NotDeadYet
    replied
    I’m lucky I have a long term friendship / customer relationship with a great indy mechanic. If I didn’t have him I would definitely do more of my own work.

Leave a comment:

• bretb
    replied
    I had mine at the shop for the first major service in August. Was surprised they had an opening, and it was 6 working days available. Dropped it off, left instructions to do full first major service including valve adjust, plugs, fuel filter (sock), and whatever else was necessary. Shop called a week later and told me it was done. Before I left to pick it up, I got an email from a different person at the shop asking if I wanted the spark plugs replaced. Decided to call and get some clarification. In one weeks time, they changed the oil (I provided), adjusted the chain, and claimed to have a bad phone number for contacting me about remaining service I requested (mechanic said valve adjust was a waste of time and money, so he didn't do it). So when asked how they called me telling me it was done....can only imagine the look on the face. Was told to leave it and they would get to it but would be 2 more weeks. I said I was on my way. Haven't been back or talked to them since. Left the next morning for the ride with Gregness, BCTrout, and Florian. And that is the story as to why I'm doing the valve adjust. Not that I don't wish to learn this bike like the ZZR, it is a matter of time and managing that time. My truck is with the body/paint man. I try getting out there when I have any free time and help out with the build and resto.

Piken, it looks like in your pic you folded or rolled the rubber cover back, or is that a cover over the intakes? And, not for nothing, but having the radiator out of the way makes massive amounts of room on the front side by the look of your picture. Might have to consider doing the same thing.

Leave a comment:

• NotDeadYet
    replied
    Mine are due for adjustment again too. Mine will be going to the shop before spring riding season. I will take it in soon so my mechanic can fill in his slow season. He gives me a break on prices that way. It’s not a DIY job given my skill set.

Leave a comment:

• piken
    replied
    Not that bad. Just a lot of crap to remove.

zx14vavle.jpg

Last edited by piken; 01-03-2020, 11:00 AM.

Leave a comment:

• BillDownUnder
    replied
    Restricted space wise, like the ZX12R I used to have.
    I found that removing the front wheel gave me a little more space to work with. Perhaps the same can be done with the 14's.

Leave a comment:

• BIG O
    replied
    It is definitely a pain in the ass.

The monocoque frame is nice until you need to access the top end

If you feel they are too tight I'd definitely adjust them now.

Doubt you'd ever have to adjust them again.

JMHO

Leave a comment:

• bretb
    replied
    Funny...you just completed what I'm about to endeavor. 2017 ZX14R SE. Got the tank off last night and will continue working it little by little over the next couple weeks. Current miles on mine are around 19k-ish miles. Not looking forward to removing the throttle bodies with the small tight space.

Leave a comment:

• M.Rad.
    replied
    I wouldn't worry about the lash clearances. If you are only .001" out of spec on intakes and .003 out on exhaust after 16,000 miles that's not too bad, especially if this is the first adjustment. Remember, .003" is only the thickness of a sheet of notebook paper.
    Adjust the clearances and check again at the specified interval (or at half if you are really worried) and listen for any unusual tapping or ticking in the meantime. I doubt you'll have any problems.

Leave a comment:

• jimmymac
    replied
    Running some Techron in your fuel sometimes will keep your valves clean. The 14 doesn't have cam wear issues.

Leave a comment:

• show101
    started a topic 1st valve adjustment

1st valve adjustment

Last summer I upgraded from the ZZR1200 to the ZX14R - a 2013 used but with only 7500 miles on her. I'm at 16k now and the winter months are a good time to take things down for the valve inspection in my household. BTW, I love the upgrade in all aspects and have no regrets.....

Here's the 1st issue - #4 outer intake valve top has a bunch of build-up on top of the valve. Has anyone else seen this?

And I just finished checking all the clearance's - 7 out of the 8 exhaust side need adjusted and 6 out of the 8 on the intake side. The adjustment is only 0.001" on the intake, but up to 0.003" on the exhaust side. What level of a problem do I have? And everyone I have talked to says the ZX doesn't tend to have cam wear issues.

Everything was running 'fine' when I took her down - no noticeable issues at all.
Working...
X