Review: Sargent Seat for ZX14R

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Review: Sargent Seat for ZX14R

As nice a bike as the biggest Ninja is, the seat, IMHO, sucks for riding more than an hour. This was not a shock to me, as it has been true of every Kawasaki I have ever owned (about 11 bikes since 1979).

So, with many miles and days of sport touring coming up this summer, a new seat for my steed was mandatory. After much research and consulting the other Kawi-philes on this site, I decided on the Sargent. It is available in a stock-height model, or one that is one inch lower. I went for stock height. It cost me $497, I bought it through Rev-Zilla.com. When it arrived, I promptly went out and installed it.

First Impressions:
    1. Looks nice, quality seems good.

2. Fit is... OK. I have to press the back of the seat down hard to get it to latch though.

3. The built-in document storage unit on the under-side is a nice place to keep registration, manual and insurance info.

Ride Impressions: I did a 320 mile ride yesterday, and followed that up with a 130 mile ride today, so I think I can comment fairly on the comfort and "butt fit" now.
    1. Comfort is good. No hot spots like the stock seat gave me, and no sliding forward into the tank. After a couple hours it is starting to get a little uncomfortable, but I am just getting some miles in after a long winter off, and even my car seats get a little old after a few hours. (note- I am 5'11" with a 30" inseam, and weigh about 240. Your fit and comfort may vary)

2. Though I specified the higher model seat, it seems low to me compared to the stocker.

3. There is room to move around while riding the bike, you don't feel "pinned in".

4. Several times after riding I have gotten off to find that the seat had unlatched itself at the rear. Hopefully I can adjust the latching mechanism so this does not happen in the future.

I plan to work in a 400 mile day or two before the big Rally ride, and if the comfort level after several hours declines much I will probably buy a gel-pad for the long haul days.

I hope this information is helpful.

G
    "The Price of Speed is Eternal Vigilance" 2015 ZX14R 30th, Four Kids

Re: Review: Sargent Seat for ZX14R

I just purchased a 2010 zx-14 with a Corbin. Bike is 400 miles away and going to get it in 2 weeks. I am riding it back so I'll know soon enough how that saddle works.
    Don't drive faster than your guardian angels can fly.

Comment

I love my Sargent seat. Long rides; 10 hours in the saddle are not comfortable; however, I have never owned a saddle that worked comfortably for the long rides. I never had any latch issues Greg, hopefully that is just an adjustment issue.
      My ol' ZZR1200 pics:
      http://zzrbikes.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=156883

Comment

If I remember right, you can slightly space the latch striker with washers. Or just let it break in more... At least with the Corbins.
        KN, this ride's for You.

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/p...ps2ecwj35m.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by DB7 View Post
          I just purchased a 2010 zx-14 with a Corbin. Bike is 400 miles away and going to get it in 2 weeks. I am riding it back so I'll know soon enough how that saddle works.
          DB, as has been noted in these pages (by Tex for one) Corbin seats come either custom fit to your butt or "standard". I have had two "standard" Corbins- one fit me well and was great, the other not so much. Let's hope the one on your new ride fits you well! If I were riding to Monterey this summer for WSBK (next year for sure) I would have combined that trip with a visit to nearby Hollister to have Corbin custom fit a seat for me instead of buying the Sargent. But making a special trip to their shop just to get a saddle made makes the product just to expensive in both time and money, for me at least- thus the Sargent.

Let us know how it goes with your new bike and its Corbin seat!

G
          "The Price of Speed is Eternal Vigilance" 2015 ZX14R 30th, Four Kids

Comment

I vote Sargent over Corbin.
            I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

Working...
            X