Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zx-14 front end

This actually a two part question

I have 43,000 miles on my 06. I have never changed the fork oil, and no where in the owners manual gives mention. So does it need changing

Now can fork springs lose their effectiveness at that kind of mileage. I weigh 225 suited, will going to a stiffer springs like Progessive Improve the handling, or am I just wasting my money

Also my bike handles flawlessly I am a firm believer on "If its not broke, do'nt fix it"
    If life throws you a curve, TURN

Re: Zx-14 front end

I change mine every winter. The stuff that comes out looks like gray soup. The oil absorbs water and the suspension damping action emulsifies the water into the oil. Fork oil is relatively thin stuff and the gray soup will damp almost as good as new oil, although it's a bit thinner. The main concern would be the oil's lubricating qualities. Without a regular change, fork oil loses it's ability to adequately lube the slider bushings leading to premature wear.

14s are known for their soft springs up front, but if it suits you the way it is, there's no reason to swap them out.

Comment

Thanks Danno, when I need a new front tire, I will take it to the shop and then change the oil, along with the tire

Comment

at 225 you may be ok on the spring rate if you dont ride too aggresively ie. deep into the corner hard on the brakes and then lots of lean.

i would change the oil at regular intervals. every winter is good, you've got plenty of time then.
        its pretty inexpensive and you can see bits of metal and dark stuff in it when you drain it. just like your engine oil it has all the wear from the forks suspended in it.
        that stuff becomes lapping compound.

the stock oil is 5w, i went to 15w and liked the stiffer damping, you may prefer the plusher ride its your choice.

i think if you were to slip the forks up, stiffen the springs a bit and add thicker oil you would think the handling now is not perfect. it will turn in and steer more precisely but that will show up more when you really start pushing it.

all this is based on my personal experience and preferences, yours may be different. if you want you can take mine for a spin in w.va. and see how you like it.

pete

Comment

Originally posted by 14Junkie View Post
          at 225 you may be ok on the spring rate if you dont ride too aggresively ie. deep into the corner hard on the brakes and then lots of lean.

i would change the oil at regular intervals. every winter is good, you've got plenty of time then.
          its pretty inexpensive and you can see bits of metal and dark stuff in it when you drain it. just like your engine oil it has all the wear from the forks suspended in it.

the stock oil is 5w, i went to 15w and liked the stiffer damping, you may prefer the plusher ride its your choice.

i think if you were to slip the forks up, stiffen the springs a bit and add thicker oil you would think the handling now is not perfect. it will turn in and steer more precisely but that will show up more when you really start pushing it.

all this is based on my personal experience and preferences, yours may be different. if you want you can take mine for a spin in w.va. and see how you like it.

pete

Thanks Pete, I had my suspension set up by a Proffersional, It took him about 30 minutes, front and back. The bike never even gives me shimmy at any speeds, I may take you up on your offer. You would think they would say something in the manuel

Comment

Originally posted by bbirdxx2000 View Post
            Originally posted by 14Junkie View Post

pete

Thanks Pete, I had my suspension set up by a Proffersional, It took him about 30 minutes, front and back. The bike never even gives me shimmy at any speeds, I may take you up on your offer. You would think they would say something in the manuel
            ha!! sometimes i think the main purpose of the manual is to avoid liability.

my zx-10 has a slipper clutch and there is no mention of it in the manual. i don't know if its adjustable or how to go about tuning it. reading the manual you would not know it even exists.

i really like the stiffer damping. i run 2or 3 clicks out on the adjusters with the 15w oil. i like being able to feel the tires without them being masked by the soft suspension. just my personal preference.

pete

Comment

Who is this Manuel that you speak of?

Mike
              I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

Working...
              X