Oil Cooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Cooler

After riding the C-14 yesterday with the fairing "eyebrows" and heatpanels removed because it is getting cooler down here in Texas,I was just nice and comfy but could feel the heat issue back once again on the right shin.
    I woke up thinking this morning(scary huh). I've ridden the ZZR thousands of miles in different weather,hot and cold,pushing hard on the bike and have never felt heat as an issue. Ride the C-14 10 miles and you know.
    My Idea: The oil cooler on the ZZR is hugh in relation to the size of the radiator.Does a great job too.
    The oil cooler on a C-14 is the size of a can of soup and don't do diddly as far as I can tell. See where I'm going with this?
    I'll call the Master Dub today and get his thoughts/look for a spare ZZR cooler. I plan to overlay it on the front/low portion of the C-14 if room permits. Any thoughts?

Re: Oil Cooler

Ah Crap.
    Chris,move to C-14 will ya/ Thnx.

Comment

I still think you'll have heat issues with your feet. The ZX14 would roast my feet bad, but the ZZR1200 wasn't an issue. I'm thinking you should try and block off the hot air that escapes down there. Just like DBSuperbiker did.
      KN, this ride's for You.

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/p...ps2ecwj35m.jpg

Comment

do you think the motor is actually running at a higher temp? or more tward the engine heat exiting from the bike in the wrong areas?

hmm...now that i think about it.. i do recall alot of folks claiming the zed runs on the cool side. And my C's fans are always kicking on!

Im very interested on what the Davsters inputs gunna be!

Comment

Read about it here.
          http://zzrbikes.com/showthread.php?7...ment..it-works!
          KN, this ride's for You.

Comment

Originally posted by zzrbuddy View Post
            do you think the motor is actually running at a higher temp? or more tward the engine heat exiting from the bike in the wrong areas?

hmm...now that i think about it.. i do recall alot of folks claiming the zed runs on the cool side. And my C's fans are always kicking on!

Im very interested on what the Davsters inputs gunna be!
            I'm thinking it's a combination but more related to poor escape routing as Arthur's Mod. demonstrates. I have the heatblocker panels from the guy on the GTR Fanatics site and they work wonders but pretty much force the air to come out the side as it should and then you get hot thighs from the gas tank/upper fairing junction. Sigh.
            I was thinking of the larger oil cooler as a way to lower over-all engine temps. as I'm fixing to start playing with the timing/advance rates on the Beast.
            I installed J-Macs ZX-14 Brocks Header System and it really woke up the bike,along with a new fueling map it freggin' flys now!
            I guess I'll put Arthurs lower fairing mod. on the winter to-do list.....

Comment

Just talked to DWC and he's busy playing NASCAR today at TMS.
              We didn't get to delve into it much as he is busy but if you use a car tranny cooler as correlation you can begin to see the added benefit as well as the increased oil capacity which is always a plus. We're guessing Kawasaki went to water cooling,via the radiator for emissions/faster oil warm-up to help reach operating temps. quicker.

Hmmmm,I need to go mow and ponder some more...
              Yall feel free to jump in here ....

Comment

I am not sure guys, but I guess I am impervious to this heat? I hate the warm weather and the summers here get well into the 100's.

The worst "barbeque" I have ridden was the HD air cooled beast. Never had a problem with the heat on my ST 1300, C-10, ZZR or the C-14.....

I have to ask what are you guys wearing for gear? I always wear boots and jeans are only an occasional kit so I never feel it on my shins or feet. I have run with the vents off also and it made a slight change to my upper leg area but not the feet and lower legs.....

I did check out Arthur's bike out here this summer and he deff has routed evrything out and around, looked like he got it all...

Comment

My motorcycle boots used to almost glow red when riding any distance on the ZX14. The '10 Connie has zero heat issues. I might miss it some this winter.
                  KN, this ride's for You.

Comment

Originally posted by jimmymac View Post
                    My motorcycle boots used to almost glow red when riding any distance on the ZX14. The '10 Connie has zero heat issues. I might miss it some this winter.
                    That was the friction of air just before the sonic boom....

Comment

Whether via radiator or oil cooler, the same amount of heat must be removed from the engine to maintain the proper running temperature. It is therefore a matter of routing the hot air, of which there will be just as much with a different-sized oil cooler.

If the exhaust from the oil cooler goes somewhere better than the radiator exhaust, then it might be worth thinking about a larger oil cooler. I'd still be reluctant to make such a change, as I would worry about over-cooling the oil. I think I would focus on redirecting the exhaust air.

FWIW.
                      How To Cheat on Personality Tests
                      1. When asked for word associations or comments about the world, give the most conventional, run-of-the-mill, pedestrian answer possible.

2. To settle on the most beneficial answer to any question, repeat to yourself:
                      (a) I loved my father and my mother, but my father a little bit more.
                      (b) I like things pretty well the way they are.
                      (c) I never worry much about anything.
                      (d) I don't care for books or music much.
                      (e) I love my wife and children.
                      (f) I don't let them get in the way of company work.
                      From <cite>The Organization Man</cite> by William Hollingsworth Whyte, 1956

Comment

Reid, I agree with your complete response. Manage the extracted heat. You may be able to extract more heat from the oil rather than the water but the net amount of heat that must be shed from the engine must be the same. All you have actually changed is where the heat is mechanically extracted and the air it is vented into.

If you would move the water and oil radiators behind you, say below the license plate, most of your problems would be solved.
                        Last edited by Leo; 11-07-2010, 07:22 PM.
                        "Here's to our men in uniform. ALL uniforms." Maximus
                        "If you can't get it done on a ZZR1200, you can't get it done on a 14 either." CrazyTrain
                        "If the space shuttle didn't keep exploding it would be a pretty good space ship." helodoc
                        "Re: Turbo-Connie: It had to be done...
                        Like putting a solid-fuel rocket booster on a wheelchair." Danno

Comment

Working...
                        X