Braided Steel Brake Lines for ZX14R?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Braided Steel Brake Lines for ZX14R?

Wheels are coming off to mount new tires in the coming week, and I am ordering a set of EBC brake pads to change out while I have the front wheel off anyhow. It occurs to me that my front brake lever feels a tad mushy, though I have no issues with the ultimate braking power or modulation. Anybody switched to Galfers etc., and have a comment about how much it helped?

Thanks,

G
    "The Price of Speed is Eternal Vigilance" 2015 ZX14R 30th, Four Kids

I like the feel of stainless lines. They definitely feel firmer with less effort when you pull the lever. The bling factor is also an added bonus.

"I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it!"

Comment

Originally posted by NotDeadYet View Post
      I like the feel of stainless lines. They definitely feel firmer with less effort when you pull the lever. The bling factor is also an added bonus.
      Agreed on all points! I thought I had heard or read that the lines on the ZX14R are made of a firmer material and that there was little to be gained by going to steel, so I thought I would check in with the group...
      "The Price of Speed is Eternal Vigilance" 2015 ZX14R 30th, Four Kids

Comment

Now you mention that - I have ridden the new 14r with stock braking early in the day then hopped on my 06 with stainless lines to go to the shop and back later the same afternoon. Even riding the two bikes back to back I can’t say I really noticed a difference in day to day city riding.

I would still like to add stainless steel lines to the 14r but there are a few other things that are higher on the priority list.
        Last edited by NotDeadYet; 06-02-2020, 04:43 PM.

"I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it!"

Comment

I'd suggest bleeding the brakes and also changing the fluid if it's more than a year old. I thought the front felt as though there was a little air in it, and it was due for a fluid change anyway. Sure enough, an air bubble came out and the brakes felt fine again after flushing out the old fluid.
          "You don't get slower with age, you just get more cautious." Michael Rutter

06 Ocean Blue ZZR1200, the coolest colour.
          99 Yamaha R1

Comment

Originally posted by Moise View Post
            I'd suggest bleeding the brakes and also changing the fluid if it's more than a year old. I thought the front felt as though there was a little air in it, and it was due for a fluid change anyway. Sure enough, an air bubble came out and the brakes felt fine again after flushing out the old fluid.
            This.

Cheaper than new lines and if it doesn't fix it, you can still order new lines.

FWIW... I had good success ordering from "LinesPro" on eBay.... DOT marked braided stainless with my choice of fittings and lengths.
            https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kawasaki-Ni...kAAOSwo8pbLqnX
            “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”...Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Hey Greg,

I just replaced the lines on my 14 with these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/KAWASAKI-ZX...AAAOSwHNxaCHik

They can be ordered in pretty much any color combo you can dream of. You can also add additional length if you have bar risers. I have the Heli Risers on my bike so I added an additional 1" to them. I went with the clear line with white label and stainless fitting.

It's a dual line set up so you'll have two lines coming from your master cylinder. One for each caliper. Everything is nicely labeled and all new hardware is included.

A bit more expensive than what Ramblin posted but might give you more options.

BTW

While I was at it I put on a new set of front discs. I had tried the Chinese Galfer knock offs and had good success so I went with them again: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Brake-Disc-...72.m2749.l2649

Although the ad states it is for a ZX 6 it fits the 14 too. Same bolt pattern, same thickness and same diameter (310 mm).

The only issue I encountered was that I had to put a washers between where the abs/speedo sensor is attached to the caliper mounting bracket on the fork tube. I would spin the wheel and the sensor would rub ever so slightly on the ring. For $165 you can't beat it.

DSC02349.JPGDSC02350.JPG
              DSC02352.JPG
              DSC02351.JPG
              I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

Working...
              X