RadGuard Installed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RadGuard Installed

After reading about Gregness's radiator misfortune on the 2West2018, it got the gears turning. Read the thread and I believe it was Piken (sorry if I get this wrong) who said the best radiator guard for the ZX is the RadGuard out of Australia. Poked about the interweb and found solid reviews and what surprised me the most was cost compatible with others such as Cox and R&D. Armed with a bit more information, and the desire to offset the cost of shipping, I hit up Gregness to see if he was in for splitting the shipping. He was on board (I know, you are all surprised to hear that). A new guy at work just bought a 2018 KTM Super Duke R and offered him the same thing, and he was in for a three way split. Done!! Pushed the red hot go button and got them on the way with no additional freight for the 3 guards.

6 days later (a weekend was in that), the triplets arrive, and it is installation time.

Install instructions say to remove ram air covers, split the lower fairing V, remove splash shield, and horn assy. Started at the bottom and worked my way up. Split the lower, removed splash and horn assy. Get up to the ram air covers and realize there was no additional access to be had by removing the covers so left them in place. Instructions say to get an assistant to help position the guard for install. The cat wasn't looking like she wanted to help, and the wife was busy with a customer, so I slipped it right up in place with zero drama. At this point, I realize splitting the lower V wasn't necessary either, but I could see where it might me necessary for some people, and the same for an assistant, a nicety but not a requirement. In place and loosely installed upper bolts. Applied blue lock-tite on the lower bolt and tightened all 3 bolts. The last step it to trim the splash guard by "up to 16mm". Sure as ever, I'm fresh out of metric measuring devices and I didn't really see the need for a half-round 1/2-3/4 inch anyway. Placed, marked, slivered off the minimum for clearance (did 2 slivers). Instructions say it may be necessary to bend the horn bracket down. Didn't need too for my application, cleared easily. Total time was less than an hour which included getting it up on the stand and trimming. Would be 1/2 hour if you don't use a stand or make more than 1 cut.

So this morning, made arrangements with Gregness and dropped his off his shiny black guard. Fit is awesome and I love the look. However, there is only 1 drawback, temperatures. The day before installation, the ambient temp was 90 degrees, and I was in stop/go traffic for the last 6 miles as usual. Dash indicated 205 degrees. Installed that night, and commute the next day was nearly the exact same, except the ambient was 91 degrees. Dash indicated 215 degrees. That is the only down side I've noted in the last week. There is a fix though and that is install a ZX10R front fender to allow a little more airflow. Opinions are out there about aerodynamics but I don't really see myself doing salt flat speeds to make that an issue. Anyway, pics below....because without, it didn't happen.....

And finally, I don't know who it was on here who suggested the Abba Stand, but I took that suggestion and ran with it a month after getting the bike. Wonderful kit I must say. Takes a bit to get used to using, but it way easy to use. A bit more stable than a standard front and rear stand, but I think that is subjective to the individual and what you are actually doing with the bike on the stand. R&R of wheels and tires, was a breeze and didn't leave me struggling to work around a jack, worrying about stability, etc. A huge thank you to whomever (might have been Piken or Big O) on this board suggested Abba.

Abba Stand is great.

Tip, instead of the "pull" tie strap at the rear to lift the front wheel, get a small cheap "ratchet" strap. Much easier to use on the 14 to get front wheel off the ground.

Our ability to distribute interesting information is out pacing our ability to create it.

Comment

Glad the guard worked out for you. It looks like a quality piece of kit.

As for raising temps, that could possibly happen. However, I wouldn't worry about it. Your radiator fans will solve that issue when they kick on.

Besides, I'd definitely sacrifice warmer temps for piece of mind having a punctured radiator.

What did the cover cost you?
      I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

Guard was $118 each. Mine was polished, gregness got black, and my buddy with the KTM got black as well. Shipping was $36 total for all 3, didn't matter if it was one or 5, it was a flat cost.

Comment

A few GTR1400 riders here have put the Radguard on, and notice that there is a temperature increase. Fan comes on more often.
          I suffer from kleptomania. When it gets bad, I take something for it.

Comment

Fan coming on doesn't bother me. Most of the temperature notice is because there is actually a number associated, not a digital "scale", bars, or simple needle points to the middle of the temp gauge. It will take some getting used to seeing the number a bit higher that's all. Don't think there will be any bad things with the temp as long as I keep tabs on the coolant level and do what I can to maintain some air movement. Bottom line is, this was still a good investment right now, it is doing its job, and I'm optimistic for a long life of protection

Comment

I always used water weter in all my bikes and jeep. Here it get quite hot (vegas) never had problems.

Good looking guards !!

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk

Comment

Checking in...

I finally got my radiator out, repaired and installed, and added the Radgard in the process. $70 to get the radiator repaired at Northwest Radiator in Tacoma. Much better than $965 (list) for a new one! Took four hours to reassemble the bike. Kind of ridiculous.

I then went out for a short 10 miles test ride and checked for leaks- then did a 120 mile ride (Bret knows my route). No issues- and get this; it was a 72 degree day, and my bike's temp never exceeded 175 when moving; and never went over 198 when sitting at a light. We will have to see how she does on a hot day, but so far so good!

Good to have her up and running again.

G
                "The Price of Speed is Eternal Vigilance" 2015 ZX14R 30th, Four Kids

Comment

Glad it's working well for you Greg.
                  I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

I installed one on my Aprilia. Waiting to see what kind of temps I get when sitting in traffic.

There is a big debate over on the Aprilia site as to whether installing the guard raises temps or not.

I know the Aprilia runs hot even without the guard!

Fingers crossed.

Comment

Good on you Gregness. Once the ambient temps are up above that 80 and 90 degrees, you might notice a difference. Since we have rolled back to the mid-70's, hardly even notice the temps reaching the 200. And yeah, that little route.....still loving it.

Comment

Originally posted by bretb View Post
                        Good on you Gregness. Once the ambient temps are up above that 80 and 90 degrees, you might notice a difference. Since we have rolled back to the mid-70's, hardly even notice the temps reaching the 200. And yeah, that little route.....still loving it.
                        Maybe we can do that ride one more time this year before the weather turns cold and wet....
                        "The Price of Speed is Eternal Vigilance" 2015 ZX14R 30th, Four Kids

Comment

Working...
                        X