Remove my engine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remove my engine

Trying to find a radiator leak, I have a fair bit of gear removed, such as fairings, coolers, tank, etc.
    My bike (135000km) uses some oil these days and I was thinking now might be a good time to get the head overhauled, as well as a new set of pistons rings put on.

Earlier posts show people removing various bits before engine removal, such as clutch, head cover, alternator, starter etc. However, is this strictly necessary?

Feedback welcome, thanks.
    I suffer from kleptomania. When it gets bad, I take something for it.

Re: Remove my engine

You don't necessarily have to remove those items. I guess some people do as it's less weight to handle when it comes to removing the lump. It's easier to remove clutch while the engine is still in the bike unless you have an engine stand to work with.

If you're just doing a top end rebuild (maybe re-bore, pistons, rings, valves etc) then all that can be done with engine in situ.
    2002 ZZR1200
    2009 KLR650
    1986 GPz900R
    1984 GPz750 Turbo

Comment

Thanks for the info. Top end overhaul only.

Comment

You shouldn't run those engines when they're upside down. Just sayin'.
        KN, this ride's for You.

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/p...ps2ecwj35m.jpg

Comment

That's probably why he has a leaky radiator!
          2002 ZZR1200
          2009 KLR650
          1986 GPz900R
          1984 GPz750 Turbo

Comment

Originally posted by jimmymac View Post
            You shouldn't run those engines when they're upside down. Just sayin'.
            I was thinking of re-installing it upside down, so the problem won't recur. That might also stop the coolant from running out the top.

Hang on..... we're not upside down here, you guys are, AND you drive on the wrong side of the road! I was in Hawaii for 2 weeks this month, rented a car, and had to take evasive action, non stop.

Comment

Originally posted by BillDownUnder View Post
              Hang on..... we're not upside down here, you guys are, AND you drive on the wrong side of the road! I was in Hawaii for 2 weeks this month, rented a car, and had to take evasive action, non stop.

Yeah, those Hawaiian's can't drive for shite!
              I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

If interested, I'm writing it up here. (Saves me writing twice and uploading pics).

This is the link.

Comment

If interested, I'm writing it up here. (Saves me writing twice and uploading pics).

This is the link.

Thanks for that, BDU - very helpful to have on the site

While I am master of my sword, I shall never think any man greater than myself.
                  ~Eumenes of Cardia

I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth. ~Steve McQueen

I work over by worlds of fun. ~JimmyMac

My photo album - http://zzrbikes.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=146333

Comment

A bit more done (weather is a bit better) on the LHS. Link.

Is this special tool (engine mount nut wrench) strictly necessary? I can fit a 17mm socket over the nut.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Is this special tool (engine mount nut wrench) strictly necessary?
                      Looking at the parts fiche I can see that I will most likely need that one.

Comment

See if you can make something fit, or adapt something.
                        2002 ZZR1200
                        2009 KLR650
                        1986 GPz900R
                        1984 GPz750 Turbo

Comment

I bought the "tool" from Kawasaki.
                          Any special hints on getting the faarking lock nuts undone? Mine are tight-as, and the tools slips over the top of the crowns, and therefore I can't get the adjusters to move.

Comment

I bought the "tool" from Kawasaki.
                            Any special hints on getting the faarking lock nuts undone? Mine are tight-as, and the tools slips over the top of the crowns, and therefore I can't get the adjusters to move.
                            Probably need another "special tool".

They have to make it difficult for the DIY riders
                            I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

Need to find a castle nut socket or make your own.

Then you can use a impact gun to take off.

There's lots of these castle nut sockets for sale, ebay, amazon, etc.

Or get your grinder out and make one, that's what I did for
                              the swing arm castle nut.

tool.jpg
                              Our ability to distribute interesting information is out pacing our ability to create it.

Comment

Working...
                              X