Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Low oil pressure after oil change FIXED!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low oil pressure after oil change FIXED!?

Did oil change, started bike, oil pressure light never went off until warmed up and above 1500rpm.

Started to worry so I changed oil and filter, double-checking everything, still same issue.

Have now removed oil pan and cleaned both screens but found no evidence of bearing failure.

Decided to look up at the oil pump and saw that the oil pump bracket (oil filter housing)
    has cracked from over-torquing the cartridge filter cover bolt.

/facepalm

ps: torque wrenches are for doing things correctly
    pps: ZZR-1200 oil pan is a modern art masterpiece
    Last edited by Prickly; 12-18-2015, 12:36 AM. Reason: clarity, postscript, vanity, humor, bored, etc.
    Red 07 ZZR-600, 23k miles TRADED for
    The Blue Pig 03 ZZR-1200, now 53k miles

Re: Low oil pressure after oil change FIXED!?

You lucky dog. Never tighten a filter more than hand tight.
    Last edited by jimmymac; 11-12-2015, 06:35 PM.
    KN, this ride's for You.

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/p...ps2ecwj35m.jpg

Comment

Sorry, forgot the 1200 has to be installed with a wrench. Snug...
      No more, no less.
      KN, this ride's for You.

Comment

Pretty sure it's like 17-20 foot pounds. So not much on a 3/8 ratchet. Peace

Comment

Cavitation, missing washer, bad filter, failing crank bearings, overfilled crankcase, excuse to buy a GSXR, many threads read and worried about, so many things go through your head when that little red light comes on.

I somehow managed to really tighten that thing, maybe I should buy that $200 spin on filter conversion lol.

Thanks for the words Jimmy.
          Red 07 ZZR-600, 23k miles TRADED for
          The Blue Pig 03 ZZR-1200, now 53k miles

Comment

Originally posted by Prickly View Post
            Cavitation, missing washer, bad filter, failing crank bearings, overfilled crankcase, excuse to buy a GSXR, many threads read and worried about, so many things go through your head when that little red light comes on.

I somehow managed to really tighten that thing, maybe I should buy that $200 spin on filter conversion lol.

Hey big P you can't say CAVITATION here sorry dude. One demerit 2 more and you have to go to the Suzuki site. Peace

Comment

Originally posted by ZZ-r View Post
              Originally posted by Prickly View Post

Hey big P you can't say CAVITATION here sorry dude. One demerit 2 more and you have to go to the Suzuki site. Peace
              Werd.
              KN, this ride's for You.

Comment

Lucky dude!

$22 @ Harbor Freight
                http://www.harborfreight.com/3-8-eig...rench-807.html
                “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”...Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Originally posted by ramblin66 View Post
                  +1. No excuse at that price.

I don't often get out the torque wrench when I'm working on cars, but you really do need one for bikes
                  "You don't get slower with age, you just get more cautious." Michael Rutter

06 Ocean Blue ZZR1200, the coolest colour.
                  99 Yamaha R1

Comment

Originally posted by Moise View Post

I don't often get out the torque wrench when I'm working on cars, but you really do need one for bikes
                    With old cars, maybe... these days everything is so precisely engineered you need to be precise when installing anything. Old stuff was over-engineered and could stand alot of abuse. Damn technology...
                    "The Price of Speed is Eternal Vigilance" 2015 ZX14R 30th, Four Kids

Comment

Good point, I'd forgotten how old most of our cars are!

99 Yamaha R1

Comment

Good point, I'd forgotten how old most of our cars are!
                        I'm laughing WITH you... 'because I'm in the same boat.
                        “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”...Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Originally posted by gregness View Post

With old cars, maybe... these days everything is so precisely engineered you need to be precise when installing anything. Old stuff was over-engineered and could stand alot of abuse. Damn technology...
                          Not so much the engineering part but in the search for higher mpg's everything is lighter using aluminum and plastic. So much shit is snap on now instead of screwed in. Screws would rattle loose, but the plastic breaks when it gets old.
                          sigpic

Comment

My work car is a Ford Mondeo (Fusion in the US). Changing a headlight bulb was a nightmare even after watching a couple of YouTube videos. To change the battery, you first remove the airbox. Really???

Give me a 1998 Accord any day, especially if it has a 200 hp DOHC VTEC engine! [emoji1]

99 Yamaha R1

Comment

Yikes! Close call. S'pose I should buy a torque wrench!
                              2002 ZZR1200
                              2009 KLR650
                              1986 GPz900R
                              1984 GPz750 Turbo

Comment

Working...
                              X