Cleaning and rebuilding the carbs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning and rebuilding the carbs

OK, I think it's time get into the carbs. I have some issues that I think are fuel related. Idle is erratic, varies about 200-400 RPM. And has been doing this for over a year. I have a hard acceleration hiccup, and the idle sounds rough, don't know quite how to explain it but it just is not smooth. When it's cold, she starts fine but the choke is very touchy, it will rev very high very fast and sometimes just a little touch of the choke lever is all it takes to bring it back down. When the engines cold it is hesitant on low speed, like it's fighting to find power, then it gets it. Once it's worm it's fine and on the highway, at any speed it's smooth and runs fine.

I have done all my own work on the bike but carbs have always been a little scary to me, I think that a cleaning, and replacing the gaskets is what she needs and I think, if I take it slowly and organize it that I will be fine doing the job. Any thought from you who have done this on the 1200..

Re: Cleaning and rebuilding the carbs

Originally posted by Royphotog View Post
    OK, I think it's time get into the carbs. I have some issues that I think are fuel related. Idle is erratic, varies about 200-400 RPM. And has been doing this for over a year. I have a hard acceleration hiccup, and the idle sounds rough, don't know quite how to explain it but it just is not smooth. When it's cold, she starts fine but the choke is very touchy, it will rev very high very fast and sometimes just a little touch of the choke lever is all it takes to bring it back down. When the engines cold it is hesitant on low speed, like it's fighting to find power, then it gets it. Once it's worm it's fine and on the highway, at any speed it's smooth and runs fine.

I have done all my own work on the bike but carbs have always been a little scary to me, I think that a cleaning, and replacing the gaskets is what she needs and I think, if I take it slowly and organize it that I will be fine doing the job. Any thought from you who have done this on the 1200..
    get an Ivans jet kit and someone who knows what there doing....there are some members who rebuild them and put the kit in...pull the carbs and ship them out.

Comment

I've torn a few apart. Recommend a set of vacuum gauges. It's not that complicated and if u take your time u will b fine. I actually did a valve adjustment video many years ago and if u ask, someone in your area might still have a copy. I know you're talking carbs but it will show u the steps to remove them.
      sigpicHard times don't last... Hard men do...

Comment

Thanks for the replays, i have removed the carbs before, just taken them off the bike and have done many valve adjustments of the ZZR so to that point I am ok, and I think if I take my time and go slow then I will be ok. I will check into the vacuum gauges. I don't have them.

Comment

If u can do valves, u can clean carbs. Pilots will have caps. Just drill and pry the caps off with a pick or awl.
          sigpicHard times don't last... Hard men do...

Comment

So you haven't done the shim and pilot screw mod then?
            "You don't get slower with age, you just get more cautious." Michael Rutter

06 Ocean Blue ZZR1200, the coolest colour.
            99 Yamaha R1

Comment

sounds like a stock 2002......that is when he joined

Comment

I did the shim years ago, when I first got the bike, but not the pilot screw.m

Comment

How dead is this post? I need some help with carb repair?

Comment

There are still some guys on here that know their way around the carbs. They can be pretty finicky though. If you look thru past threads regarding carbs you may find some more detailed information. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by mehush View Post
                      They can be pretty finicky though.

The carbs too!

I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

said it about 50 times on here. Even very experienced people have horrible issues trying to rebuild these. Put them in a box send them to Raul at wheel smith racing in San Rafael CA. They make the factory pro kits. He charges aroudn $300 with a jet kit.. will run better than ever. Or struggle and get into many of the nightmares others have run down here.

Comment

Working...
                        X