This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Outer Clutch Plate Scoring

that's the one I'm talking about. Never do I see any part of the tensioner get within an inch of the part of the clutch that has the scoring on it.
    How To Cheat on Personality Tests
    1. When asked for word associations or comments about the world, give the most conventional, run-of-the-mill, pedestrian answer possible.

2. To settle on the most beneficial answer to any question, repeat to yourself:
    (a) I loved my father and my mother, but my father a little bit more.
    (b) I like things pretty well the way they are.
    (c) I never worry much about anything.
    (d) I don't care for books or music much.
    (e) I love my wife and children.
    (f) I don't let them get in the way of company work.
    From <cite>The Organization Man</cite> by William Hollingsworth Whyte, 1956

Comment

I'm sorry Reid, you are correct, that was the video of the parts working correctly, I posted the wrong video link. There is a video of the parts hitting..I'll find it and amend my post. BRB....

Comment

The specified media does not exist

damn, the video was removed...i'll keep digging. I watched it last night and it was obvious that there was contact between the clutch basket and tensioner.

Comment

found it

the lighting is bad....but you can get the idea.

Comment

Thanks for that last video. Kawi must have got a trainee to design the tensioner and then never tested it!
            "You don't get slower with age, you just get more cautious." Michael Rutter

06 Ocean Blue ZZR1200, the coolest colour.
            99 Yamaha R1

Comment

yes...loook under the oil fill cap with a flashligt...very easy to see if you are

"in trouble'''...........
              there is an English bloke who make a repair kit for it....he says fixes the problem....

sorry no link,,,,,,,look in threads....its been posted already.............NBK

Comment

Glad I found this thread. Just ran out and checked mine and yes I have the scoring. Now I need to figure out how to best fix it. A manual tensioner would probably be the best fix. Going to have to surf the web.
                Mostly Stock '03
                Support a starving author!
                www.vanstry.net

Comment

Link to manual tensioner conversion on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ZRX1100-1200...ht_1133wt_1280

99 Yamaha R1

Comment

After staying up way too late last night and cruising a lot of different Kawi forums I've found that the sleeve fix works, for a while. But you can still get the failure to start up again as the piece wears more -or- you can get the catastrophic failure when the tip breaks off of the tensioner.

This is definitely a piece that needs to be inspected regularly and replaced as necessary.

Or you can make/buy a manual tensioner that doesn't suffer these issues.

The guy in Great Britain selling one is about $90 made well, but expensive. The guy Kwik who sells sleeves may be making one soon to sell for less money. If you can machine aluminum to the proper size and dimensions (which for this piece doesn't look all that hard) you can take your old one apart and use that plus the block of aluminum and a carriage bolt to make your own for probably $10 or $20.

I'm going to make my own. I'll see about putting the plans up when I'm done. I have access to a metal shop and I may even be able to get the piece of metal for free. Just need to call around.
                    Mostly Stock '03
                    www.vanstry.net

Comment

hello everyone, my name is eddie lane. i made some manual tensioner blocks for myself and a few friends. i won't sell any because i can't cut into andy bennets deal with a clear conscience. he has given his blessing to anyone that can and wants to make them for their personal use and not financial gain.
                      that, in itself is the topic for a different thread, all together, but i will share my build info with you all so that some of you can make your own. it's so easy that you can literally make one with a hacksaw, a hand drill, a hand tap and a bench vise.

start with a trip to ebay;
                      ebay.jpg
                      you can find shorter pieces for far less if you're patient.
                      then;
                      and if you want to do them as easily as possible, you could use a 1 1/2" X 1 1/2" square block and center all of your holes 1/4" from the edges.
                      after having built several of them, i have found that the distance between the two mounting holes is actually closer to 1 1/16" on center, rather than 1".
                      all holes are 1/4" in diameter and the bolt hole is tapped with a 5/16" x 18 tap to accept a 2" carriage bolt.
                      i had originally posted several pics but our site experienced problems and they were all lost. i took this one to show the finished product. if i can be of any more help, please don't hesitate to ask. i'm not here to make money, i just want to help as many people help themselves as i can.

tensiner.jpg

Comment

Eddie, That looks a lot simpler than what I was thinking of, I thought the bottom hole had to be a bit further in from the edge than the top one. This really does make it even easier than I thought it would be. Now if I can find a local source for the aluminum piece I can make it over the weekend.

Thanks for the post!! I have been reading A LOT of your posts over the last 24 hours since I discovered I had this problem.
                        Mostly Stock '03
                        www.vanstry.net

Comment

Thanks Banner and Eddie. I can see that it is a pretty simple mod; possibly the one issue with the hole placement is making sure that the head of the bolt contacts the tensioner at the right place so that it applies pressure to the curved section.

Just one question - how tight should the chain be?

99 Yamaha R1

Comment

Originally posted by Moise View Post
                            Thanks Banner and Eddie. I can see that it is a pretty simple mod; possibly the one issue with the hole placement is making sure that the head of the bolt contacts the tensioner at the right place so that it applies pressure to the curved section.

Just one question - how tight should the chain be?
                            chain tension, in my opinion, is as much a judgement call as which oil to use. what you want to do is, check the tension on the chain BEFORE you remove the spring loaded tensioner and match it after replacing the sprung assembly with the manual.
                            also, i have learned that it is best to adjust the tension with the tensioner mounting bolts only lightly snug. only after chain tension is adjusted to your liking, will you tighten the mounting bolts to their specified torque. this allows any settling of the tensioner to happen before the engine has been run and not after.

having been learning as i go, i did not check my tension before switching to manual but i did have the opportunity to install a new automatic tensioner in a friends ZRX and i was very surprised at how tight the chain actually was. so tight that i have mine set a little on the light side. i am able to lightly force about an 1/8" of slack out of the top run of chain after mine is adjusted.
                            i'm sure a tensioner with 50k+ doesn't have anywhere near that kind of tension left in it or it would not have been kicking back and hitting the pressure plate.

as for periodic adjustment; my first inspection came 6k miles after the initial installation and there was only a little more slack in the chain than there was when i had buttoned it up 6k miles before. but that may be attributed to the fact that i did not preload the tension before tightening the mounting bolts.
                            i'm at 7,700 miles right now and all is fine.

Comment

when you have your manual block made up and ready for install, simply grind the head off of the rivet, circled in red, and remove the pin. then, gently pry the two plates apart with a couple of screw drivers to release the rest of the hardware that will no longer be needed.

tensiner.jpg

Comment

Awesome! Thanks Eddie for coming over and posting this. I for one, need to mod my tensioner before I experience a 'SoWhat' style melt down.
                                (SoWhat is the member I messaged you about, whose ZZR grenaded in the middle of nowhere when his tensioner crapped out)

Comment

Working...
                                X