This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Outer Clutch Plate Scoring

Characterizing this a "poor" design seems a bit of a stretch. There are thousands of these motors out there with millions of miles and you don't get there with "poor" design. It's imperfect, it can be improved upon, but what isn't?

Comment

• Update:

As promised, after 5k miles I cracked open the clutch cover to replace the tired clutch/damaged pressure plate and to check on the modified chain tensioner from Kwick. I'm happy to report that it looked and performed just as well as the day I installed it. There were no noticeable cracks, dents, dings or wear noted; I didn't even have to readjust it when I put it all back together. I'm a very happy camper with this tensioner solution; two thumbs up!!

Cheers!

Comment

The 02 Galaxy Silver at 55K miles is showing scoring on the clutch basket. I'd rather ride with piece of mind so...Headed out to the garage to replace part number: 39170-1059 (tensioner). And the new case gasket is 11061-1093. There are any number of sites that have the parts fiche for the OEM KAWA parts, and there are any number of websites that will sell them to you. My order took about (3) weeks from order placement until receipt. Good luck.

Comment

Update:

The cover can be removed without draining oil. Leave the bike on the side stand.

If one pretensions the new tensioner with a zip tie, installation will be less frustrating with less risk of stripping the threads for the two bolts securing the new tensioner. I recommend a medium threadlock as opposed to overtorquing.

I was shipped the incorrect gasket. The correct part number should be 11061-1154.

If one is careful in removing the old gasket of OEM high quality, it should be possible to reuse the old gasket.

Retorque the bolts patiently and in a sequence similar to torquing lugs on a car wheels, alternating opposite sides.

If reusing the gasket, I suggest riding locally to insure that there are no leaks.

The old tensioner didn't appear to have a broken spring or any missing surfaces. But the guide for the chain, the long composite black arm was significantly worn on one side.

Tomorrow will be a longer ride after which I'll physically inspect for more debits in the clutch basket.

Comment

This thread is exactly what I was looking for, I've got 195,000kms on my 02 1200 now and have noticed what I thought to be chain/ front sprocket noise, it's not... its from the clutch and this tensioner.

I drained the oil and pulled the clutch cover (yep, should have found this thread first, no need to drain the oil ) and while everything is still there, there is a helluva lot of scoring on the clutch.

Will read this thread a few more times and weigh it all up before replacement/ modification.

Great site
            Perth, West Oz, the BIG state! 02 ZZR1200 010 1400GTR "the blue one" 79 GS750 Ex Pohleece Project 79 GS750 Donor

Comment

posted twice
              Perth, West Oz, the BIG state! 02 ZZR1200 010 1400GTR "the blue one" 79 GS750 Ex Pohleece Project 79 GS750 Donor

Comment

• Outer Clutch Plate Scoring

You'll find a few other threads here. And when you've read those, you could head over to ZRXOA.ORG where there's a whole lot more. For some reason, this seems to be more of a problem on the ZRX.

I did the tube fix about 3 years ago and all seems OK. But I will probably check soon
                "You don't get slower with age, you just get more cautious." Michael Rutter

06 Ocean Blue ZZR1200, the coolest colour.
                99 Yamaha R1

Comment

Just thought I'd post up a pic of my clutch, it has been redecorated a little by the tensioner, I couldn't find anything on the ZRX site unfortunately, I'll have to keep looking.

Having difficulty finding the parts on a schematic on Partzilla, doesn't seem to belong in any section

652757AA-0250-4EE7-8C8A-2A703BB65907_zpshkmtryfa.jpg

F93EDCFA-0A2B-4462-8A14-62B965E32D12_zpsatgpa4k0.jpg

DFA1CC00-3BF0-4A42-9A03-F6F418BD711C_zpsvypuhd1j.jpg

Comment

go look up Kwickstand.net.. tensioner tamer This guy was banned from the site a few yrs ago but he has a upgraded fix for this issue. I got one but never installed as I dont have the issue. figured it was good to have on hand. Many others have used this. better than stock

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffro View Post
                      Just thought I'd post up a pic of my clutch, it has been redecorated a little by the tensioner, I couldn't find anything on the ZRX site unfortunately, I'll have to keep looking.

Having difficulty finding the parts on a schematic on Partzilla, doesn't seem to belong in any section
                      The complete tensioner is in Crankcase 1/2, part no. 39170. No, it's not easy to find!

Also noticed that the spring is available separately (92081) and there's an update - 92081A. Never noticed that before - maybe that's a Kawi fix???

Here's a starter at ZRXOA.ORG - this thread's on converting to a manual tensioner. A couple of members here have done this, and it's probably the safest fix. http://www.zrxoa.org/forums/showthre...oner-to-manual

99 Yamaha R1

Comment

Cheers guys, appreciated !

Comment

I've decided to replace the tensioner unit complete and bought the couple of springs with it, a new gasket and a new oil level sight glass.

The bike has done a lot of kms with the OEM, I'm confident the replacement will do just as well.

A couple of weeks out of the US of A. I'll have time to clean her up real good she deserves a birthday

Thanks for the help you lot

Comment

When you get the new tensioner, could you please post a couple of photos? I'm curious to see if it looks any different, especially the spring.

99 Yamaha R1

Comment

http://youtu.be/CRnrjUojFEc

30,000 miles on my $5 manual tensioner and it's still performing great!

Comment

Originally posted by Moise View Post
                                When you get the new tensioner, could you please post a couple of photos? I'm curious to see if it looks any different, especially the spring.
                                Apologies been a while since I've been on here and didn't see your request, all back together and behaving nicely

No difference between the two. Springs are the same.

It wasn't until removing the tensioner that I could see where it had been impacting the clutch plate, I'll post up a photo later tonight.

Looking at the marking on the clutch plate, the damage to the tensioner itself is very small.

It's only the main spring losing tension that has anything to do with this.

Comment

Working...
                                X