This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outer Clutch Plate Scoring

I've tried searching this topic and can't really come up with any information other than one thread where DWC asks the member to PM him, which I have done but understand that given his current situation I haven't heard back. Therefore I'm hoping someone here is willing to share the info with me.

2004 model with 9500 miles on the clock. I did some research after buying the bike and was aware of this potential so I have been keeping an eye on it. Prior to the trip down to EU I didn't notice any scoring but I'm 90% sure it's there now.

I'm wondering if this happens on all ZZR's? I see about a 1/4" wear band just above the clutch plate bolts around the entire outer clutch plate when looking in the oil fill hole. I also see very small pits starting to form on the edge of the outer clutch plate that would indicate the chain guide is loose/starting to come loose. I'd rather perform a fix, to ensure the bikes longevity, if there is the possibility of it happening. I'm liking this bike the more I ride it and plan to keep it for a while.

Could someone recommend a parts list? Also, if there was a write up/how to I would appreciate any info the group could provide.

Thanks in advance,
    Bryan

Re: Outer Clutch Plate Scoring

the pitting is the chain. the wear band not sure of.

Comment

this is how it look on the inside (minus the "tool" i made to hold the assembly)

DSCN6251.jpgDSCN6252.jpg

Comment

BTW, you can remove the clutch cover without removing any oil, just leave your bike on the side stand. only some rtv is needed on some area only. so no big deal at all to remove the cover and see exaclty what is going on

Comment

Originally posted by Phlatlander View Post
          which I have done but understand that given his current situation I haven't heard back.
          can somebody fill me in ?

Comment

pitting look like this?

Comment

The pits are from the chain tensioner slapping the pressure plate. The fix is a small piece of tubing slipped on the tensioner shaft that limits the amount of travel to less than contact with the plate. There is a write-up and fix available on the ZRX owners forum, but I don't have the details. DWC was going to make up some of the small pieces of tubing for members needing the fix, but I don't know if he ever did.

Comment

Originally posted by loic View Post
                Originally posted by Phlatlander View Post
                which I have done but understand that given his current situation I haven't heard back.
                can somebody fill me in ?
                He was out-of-commission with a recent illness and has been rather hard to get in contact with.

Comment

Phlat - the scoring is from the generator chain guide. On some Zeds one end of the guide comes loose and it thwacks against the clutch basket. Once the other end comes loose - i.e. the part is free to fook up everything - you will have catestrophic failure up to and including broken engine cases for some of us (So-What had this happen at 109,000 miles).

Mine has had the scoring for 50-60,000 miles out of 112,000 and is now so smooth it looks like it should be that way. Troy/ZZ-r has serious scoring as well. You could ride a long time with the guide only attached on one end. Or, it could fail tomorrow.

The right way to fix it it to spend about $108 on parts - DWC has the list because his failure occurred at 60,000 miles and destroyed his transmission. I hadn't heard of the fix Danno spoke of but it sounds well worth looking into.

Loic - DWC has had some serious issues with Gout. I spoke with him this week to tell him that you had bikes and parts for sale and he is just now back to work after getting on some effective meds. He is about a month behind on his life due to the illness and pain, but he'll be around before too much longer I'd guess.
                  Last edited by CrazyTrain; 05-17-2012, 08:35 AM.

While I am master of my sword, I shall never think any man greater than myself.
                  ~Eumenes of Cardia

I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth. ~Steve McQueen

I work over by worlds of fun. ~JimmyMac

My photo album - http://zzrbikes.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=146333

Comment

Thanks for the news on DWC and the tech update. I was not aware of this issue on the 1200. Can I check this without taking the clutch cover off?

thx,
                    Coot
                    2002 Kawasaki ZZR1200, 2007 DRZ400SM Suzuki, 2004 Suzuki SV65
                    Responsible for wrenching on all those plus my daughters' 2007 ZZR 600
                    US Review http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/ro...kes/index.html
                    EU Review http://www.motorbikestoday.com/revie...es/ZZR1200.htm

Comment

Cooter,
                      Yes, look in the oil fill hole and you should be able to see the scoring, may require a flashlight.

Comment

Originally posted by Cooter View Post
                        Thanks for the news on DWC and the tech update. I was not aware of this issue on the 1200. Can I check this without taking the clutch cover off?

thx,
                        Coot
                        Cooter - you can just look through the oil fill hole. If there's scoring on the clutch cover, you have a loose guide. If it's light, you probably have a while before it fails. If severe with no gaps between scores, you are on the edge. BUT, it could fail at any time ;)

If you are hard on your bike with wheelies, low oil, abrupt with the clutch and the throttle, etc, take that into account. Not that you are :)

While I am master of my sword, I shall never think any man greater than myself.
                        ~Eumenes of Cardia

I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth. ~Steve McQueen

I work over by worlds of fun. ~JimmyMac

My photo album - http://zzrbikes.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=146333

Comment

Great info and exactly what I was looking for. I'll research my options and wait for DWC to respond with a parts list and see if I can perform the work.

Comment

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ZRX1100-1200...item4165f453a0
                            How To Cheat on Personality Tests
                            1. When asked for word associations or comments about the world, give the most conventional, run-of-the-mill, pedestrian answer possible.

2. To settle on the most beneficial answer to any question, repeat to yourself:
                            (a) I loved my father and my mother, but my father a little bit more.
                            (b) I like things pretty well the way they are.
                            (c) I never worry much about anything.
                            (d) I don't care for books or music much.
                            (e) I love my wife and children.
                            (f) I don't let them get in the way of company work.
                            From <cite>The Organization Man</cite> by William Hollingsworth Whyte, 1956

Comment

Only because the above item is pricey, and only because DWC's plan to create a fix has been sidelined, do I offer this link to an inexpensive solution:
                              http://kwickstand.net/Hyper-Formance...etter_Fix.html

I really hesitated because this guy made a supreme jerk of himself here, advertised his products in violation of board policy, and then talked volumes of trash about us on the ZRX board.
                              How To Cheat on Personality Tests
                              1. When asked for word associations or comments about the world, give the most conventional, run-of-the-mill, pedestrian answer possible.

2. To settle on the most beneficial answer to any question, repeat to yourself:
                              (a) I loved my father and my mother, but my father a little bit more.
                              (b) I like things pretty well the way they are.
                              (c) I never worry much about anything.
                              (d) I don't care for books or music much.
                              (e) I love my wife and children.
                              (f) I don't let them get in the way of company work.
                              From <cite>The Organization Man</cite> by William Hollingsworth Whyte, 1956

Comment

Working...
                              X