Another handlebar thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another handlebar thread.

Just got a used set of C10 bars from e-bay. Can anyone tell me the secrets to installing them on a new to me 03-1200? Do I just need longer brake line or will I have to change cables? Also I have 1.5" risers on the bike now. Can I bolt the new bars on top of those?

Thanks for any help.

If you use the bars without the risers, I think they have to be machined for the larger fork tube diameter. With risers, it's likely just an issue of having long enough cables etc. to reach and long enough bolts to screw them on with.

Comment

Danno is correct. Machine out for the fork tubes and a small notch on the one corner. Longer front brake line and move the throttle/choke cables. Everything else should work for you. Its a great mod and looks factory once its done....good luck

Comment

someone is selling some risers, P/U those and you can bolt it all on, no machining...................

Comment

Thanks for the input. I'll likely be asking questions as I install the bars. Can a longer brake line be had locally?

Comment

Re: Another handlebar thread.

Got my bars in today. Any suggestions how to enlarge them so they fit over the upper forks? Also anyone know a " cheap" place to get a longer brake line?

Comment

A good machine shop would probably turn them on a lathe for a few bucks. I have a slightly longer braided-stainless upper brake line I'd let go for cheap, but it may not be long enough for the Connie bars. What length would you need?

Comment

From what I've read a 3" longer line is needed but, I don't know the overall length.

Comment

I don't think the one I have is that much longer than stock. It was set up for my LSL kit. Probably about 1 1/2" longer. Gives you a good excuse to go with new lines. Most suppliers (Hel, Goodridge, Galfer etc.) can advise you on what length line to use with modified bars.

Comment

I have done the Mod on mine absolutely love it I had the Genmar risers before but the C10 bars are taller than the Genmar. personally if you do the bars I think adding the Genmars is too much, I was able to reuse the steel braided hose that was part of the Genmar kit that was on the bike.
                    Also I recommend changing you screen to a Puig touring screen as the extra height will balance out the look of the taller bars.
                    The brake MC will push lightly on the screen at full lock not enough to justify cutting.
                    the things that need done as mentioned above to use with out the risers is
                    1) bore the bars out 2mm where they slip over the forks
                    2) reprofile the upper edge of the bar mounting plates to match the slot in the top triple clamp.
                    you can do this by taking the stock bars, use them as a template on the bottom of the new bars, and scribe the pattern of the old base plate.
                    HINT use the bar from the opposite side of the bike as if you same side you will be mirroring the base plate layout front to back.
                    i.e. you marks for the front will be at the back of the base plate not the front.
                    I did this and then I cut it done on a bench sander I reprofiled the front and back side to match the stock base plate so they look stock on the bike and you do not have any overhanging material, but you can get a away with just doing the top side. You can see my finished product elsewhere, in some of my posts. I did not do the build pictures but you can see the final product. Also if you have the silver top triple clamp, go to Home Depot and pick up a can of Krylon Metalic silver it matches the stock Kawi frame color almost exactly.
                    Terry Mc

Comment

Anyone know which year of C10 the bars should be from, I've been offered some but the seller says the bars changed (heights anyway) over the life of the model?
                      Thanks

Comment

I bought 05 bars but, I thought that all 2000 and up models were the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Throttle View Post
                          I bought 05 bars but, I thought that all 2000 and up models were the same.
                          Thanks for that, if they are a good price I'll just go for it anyway. Let you know how it goes.

Comment

This thread's not TOO old, so I'm going to resurrect it, since it addresses my question almost exactly.

I'm interested in raising my bars some. I currently have Gen-Mars, but I want a little more elevation. Since Helibars (when a set comes available) are still going for a princely sum, and C10 bars are going for about the same as a set of Gen-Mars, I thought I'd try a set of those. Then I'd have the option of C10 bars alone, or with a single set of Gen-Mars. The question is, what's the difference in height of the various year C10 bars? It was asked above, but not answered.

Throttle, Cally_222, how are you liking your C10 bars?
                            - 2WP
                            77 KZ650C,
                            02 ZZR1200 in the faster and not so better handling Galaxy Silver (deceased)

Comment

FWIW, when I was looking at this way back when, I checked the fiche for several years of Connies, from maybe 85 to 2000-ish and the part numbers were the same for the bars... I suppose that doesn't have to mean the height is the same, just that they are interchangeable.

I bought a set of mid 80's Connie bars, had them bored out to fit my 2004 1200, hand tightened them on the bike (didn't relocate the other gear), then sold them and bought a set of Heli's...
                              “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”...Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Working...
                              X