This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Block off Plates. What's the benefit?

Okay, I'm curious, I know a bunch of people have installed them, or just tied those two hoses together and eliminated the stuff there. What's the benefit to removing that stuff? I thought it was just some sort of crankcase breather, but apparently it's emissions of some sort? (It's not part of the Cal Emissions package).

so, anyone? Ferris? Pr0phett?

Joe?
    Mostly Stock '03
    Support a starving author!
    www.vanstry.net

I think it has to do with decel popping and getting rid of that.
    KN, this ride's for You.

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/p...ps2ecwj35m.jpg

Comment

My understanding is the hoses lead to a canister under the tail cap to trap gas fumes. But, from what everyone here says, there has to be more to it than that.
      CONNORWATCH.ORG

Ain't no right way to do the wrong thing.

Comment

Originally posted by sacowan
        My understanding is the hoses lead to a canister under the tail cap to trap gas fumes. But, from what everyone here says, there has to be more to it than that.
        That's the california emissions stuff, which is now gone from my bike. Took off the thing that the block off plates remove as well. That's a general (all states) emission thing of some sort.
        Mostly Stock '03
        www.vanstry.net

Comment

I tied the two pipes together cuz I was told it would eliminate decel popping. It minimized it on my bike but didn't eliminate it. I've got Muzzy slip-ons so the decel was more noticeable w/them than the stock cans but even so, the decel popping it still there.
          Lee

Comment

I've asked this question before, the only answer that made sense was that it makes servicing easier and tidies up under the tank. The pipes and stuff are just there to reburn any stray combustion gases from the top end, thereby minimally reducing your carbon footprint.

As far as I know there is nothing to be gained in performance or economy terms, it just allegedly helps to save the planet, if you subscribe to all that and really believe that riding your Zed causes floods in India then leave it there.

Tony.

Comment

Originally posted by tonyzzr
              As far as I know there is nothing to be gained in performance or economy terms, it just allegedly helps to save the planet, if you subscribe to all that and really believe that riding your Zed causes floods in India then leave it there.

Tony.
              03ZZR black and lime, ex-USMC, ex US Army, retired police(Metro-Dade) Lt

Comment

Originally posted by spectorman
                I tied the two pipes together cuz I was told it would eliminate decel popping. It minimized it on my bike but didn't eliminate it. I've got Muzzy slip-ons so the decel was more noticeable w/them than the stock cans but even so, the decel popping it still there.
                Lee
                I have to check mine out this week.
                I don't have decel popping, but I do have a jet kit and still running stock exhaust. Maybe that has something to do with the absense of popping.
                "16, I found my dream machine-turned the key and every light turned green-like Steve McQueen I made that motor scream and it was LOUD!"

Comment

Mine is still running w/stock jets but the needles have been shimmed. The decel pop is diminished but not eliminated.

Comment

Yes, remove the air induction BS and replace it with block off plates. You can get them from Ivan. 2lbs of unecessary crap. There is no peformance gain other than less sprung mass and less hoses and crap under the tank.
                    AFM #869

Comment

Originally posted by pr0phet00
                      Yes, remove the air induction BS and replace it with block off plates. You can get them from Ivan. 2lbs of unecessary crap. There is no peformance gain other than less sprung mass and less hoses and crap under the tank.
                      And a few drowned Indians. Apparently

Comment

But I like drowning indians!!

Well I pulled just connected the two pipes together, so it's effectively blocked off now.

I'm going to see about making a post with pictures and such showing what was done.

For the record it's about 4.5 pounds saved when you remove all of the Cal stuff and that Air Pump stuff.
                        Mostly Stock '03
                        www.vanstry.net

Comment

Originally posted by Banner

Well I pulled just connected the two pipes together, so it's effectively blocked off now.

I'm going to see about making a post with pictures and such showing what was done.

For the record it's about 4.5 pounds saved when you remove all of the Cal stuff and that Air Pump stuff.
                          So you removed it all? Did you document the process? If so send it to me and I'll write it up and post it in the 'How to' section.
                          AFM #869

Comment

So you removed it all? Did you document the process? If so send it to me and I'll write it up and post it in the 'How to' section.
                            Wait, that's the "ghetto Jack" method you made so much fun of.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by vacaed

Wait, that's the "ghetto Jack" method you made so much fun of.
                              Definitely not as elegant as block off plates but Jack and Banner are both tightwads.

AFM #869

Comment

Working...
                              X