Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ZZR1200 brake caliper rebuild

Hey Zedsters -

I'd like to have my front & rear brake calipers rebuilt, including ceramic coating.

Can any of you recommend a service for this?

I contacted a shop in the UK that advertised on Ebay and have heard nothing for a week.

Figure I should stay on this side of the Atlantic at this point.

Thanks

While I am master of my sword, I shall never think any man greater than myself.
    ~Eumenes of Cardia

I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth. ~Steve McQueen

I work over by worlds of fun. ~JimmyMac

My photo album - http://zzrbikes.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=146333

Don’t have a answer for this BUT Hi Chris peace

Comment

Why not do it yourself? Can't be that hard, or require special tools.

Comment

Originally posted by mehush View Post
        Why not do it yourself? Can't be that hard, or require special tools.
        Ha! I knew I was going to get that reply. Ultrasound cleaning and ceramic coating ain't in my wheelhouse.

I'm looking for a rebuild that'll last me a hundred thousand miles, not something I have to keep re-doing, easy or not ;)

~Eumenes of Cardia

I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth. ~Steve McQueen

Comment

Originally posted by ZZ-r View Post
          Don’t have a answer for this BUT Hi Chris peace
          Hey Troy!

~Eumenes of Cardia

Comment

Comment

If I'm reading right, you're wanting to ceramic-coat the calipers. I did a number of parts with ceracoat with a guy who does gun coatings. The finish turned out great, and the cost was lower than expected. It didn't have the glossiness of paint, but it can. An interior trim piece I did, I wanted high gloss, and it wasn't quite what I thought. Ended up high gloss clear for finish. With that said, ceracoat has some strength and could resist the light tool handling. What it did not handle well was torque of bolts, or screws on the finishes. It cracked around the bolt head, or washer on some instance when needing to apply 10ft-lbs torque and higher. That was my experience, YMMV. Furthermore, no matter if you ceracoat, powder coat, or simply re-paint, those calipers gotta be super duper eat off them clean. It is all about the prep for the best finish. I failed to properly clean one of the parts, inside channel of window track, and didn't catch it till after he shot it and cure. Had to take coating completely off, and re-coat. For delicate parts, or part not in direct contact with rocks from cars in front of you, I say go for the ceracoat with a clear finish. If you need something robust and seriously road worthy, I say powder coat and a few layers of clear. Just my .02 anyway. There are those who ceracoat their firearms and they run amazing and hold up fairly well. Ceracoat can withstand the chemicals of alcohol, oils, and most greases. I don't know if it will hold up to brake-cleaner, or if brake fluid gets on it though.

Comment

Thanks Bret.

I am in contact with a service in the UK.

I'll post what I discover.

~Eumenes of Cardia

Comment

Working...
                X