Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaking and oil filled with gas

2002 Kawasaki ZZR1200, recent carb clean

I had poor performance for about 2 years. Since I did not ride much, it did not matter. This year 2020, I rode the bike and it was smoking like the head gasket was blown. I did a compression test, and the compression was around 120 for each cylinder.

I decided to change the oil because, as I looked in the level window, the oil seemed to be much more thin than usual. So, I changed the oil and plugs. Ran great. I put a full can of Seafoam in the tank and ran it for about 60 miles. It ran strong and healthy like. I used all of that gas and filled it up with 97 octane.

The bike sat for a few days, and I went out for a ride. Started okay, so I rode to Wal-Mart. I was running roughly and stalling out on me when I stopped at a traffic light. I bought and poured in another can of Seafoam. It ran poorly back home.

Today, April 8, I went out and pulled it out to take a good look at it. I noticed a puddle of oil underneath on the floor of my garage. I pulled it out into the driveway and put a light into the small dark places on each side and underneath. I notice a few droplets of oil underneath, and the exhaust was wet with oil. I actually saw a few droplets drip from the left side of the engine near the water pump cover.

So, I started it up, and it ran with what sounded and felt like a misfire. Again, I put an entire can of Seafoam in. White/dark gray smoke was coming out of the right exhaust pipe. I noticed that a liquid was spilling out of somewhere onto the pavement. It seemed like a combination of fuel and oil. It seemed as though a cover was off or a screw was loose, losing oil. However, again, it smelled like fuel, but it had the consistency of thin oil.

So, my further assessment included a visual check of the oil level. Interesting thing. The fluid in the oil window showed the crankcase to be over full. Some liquid, other than oil was in the oil.
    I noticed another thing. This same textured liquid was leaking from the connection on the left muffler. The bike won’t start now.

Okay folks, what’s my situation? What’s my fix? I am thinking head gasket.

I concur with C&Z, You need 4 new float valves / float pins in your carbs . Don’t run your bike until you do .

Had the same issue , only my symptoms were a bit more extreme and my engine would not crank as the cylinders were full of fuel .

Get your carbs rebuilt with new float valves , get your oil changed , and hopefully you’re good to go again .... but don’t run it any more !!

Comment

Sounds like floats are stuck to me too.

Dumping fuel into the cylinders and therefore getting into the oil and the pan.

Definitely wouldn't try to start and run again.

Replace floats, change plugs, oil and filter.

That's all I got.

Good luck and keep us posted.
      I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

Impossible details that could never happen.

Wasn't he in the Military and given great info about his bike?

Something here is very wrong.
        Sin's a good mans brother.

Comment

Sorry you are STILL having issues with the bike.

I found this thread from years ago with the same issue

I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

Originally posted by Connie & Zelda
            I would suspect fuel leaking past the float valves and into the crankcase. If that is what's happening, you could wind up with a seized engine. DAMHIK Again, if correct, and oil change and stopping the fuel link would be high priorities.
            I just had the carbs professionally cleaned. I will take them off and test them. A neighbor referred me to a UTube video of someone testing the seat. Thanks for the possible problem. I think that a few guys on this post responded to someone else's post. Some guy typed the following:

***Impossible details that could never happen.

Something here is very wrong.***

I don't think that he was in the right post. I was referring to my motorcycle, but his is talking about the military. I purchased four new float pins and will check the O-rings on the seat, or just change them out anyway since I have the carbs open.

Comment

Originally posted by altownsend View Post

I think that a few guys on this post responded to someone else's post. Some guy typed the following:

***Impossible details that could never happen.

Something here is very wrong.***

I don't think that he was in the right post. I was referring to my motorcycle, but his is talking about the military. I purchased four new float pins and will check the O-rings on the seat, or just change them out anyway since I have the carbs open.
              NO, back in 2013 you started a thread about this same issue. In that thread as well as another you specifically stated " I got back from Iraq for a short time at home - Texas"
              Dondiego responded to it in post #36.

https://zzrbikes.com/forum/bikes/zzr...s-2002-zzr1200

You then started another thread back in 2015 regarding the same issue and you again stated, "Returned from Iraq and bike was running rough"

https://zzrbikes.com/forum/bikes/zzr...wasaki-zzr1200

Then another in 2016

https://zzrbikes.com/forum/bikes/zzr...-zzr1200-carbs

Possibly we presumed that you were in the military because you kept dropping the "Iraq" reference?

We've given seven years worth of suggestions and the problem still persists.

Comment

Age hasn't reduced my memory and "altownsend" won't get the time of day from me.
                Sin's a good mans brother.

Comment

Originally posted by dondiego View Post
                  Age hasn't reduced my memory and "altownsend" won't get the time of day from me.
                  Thanks for not giving me the time of day. I am flattered that you let someone whom you don't know, have no connection with control your feelings/emotions/actions. Until told otherwise by the administrators of this site, this is a place for motorcycle owners to come and share information, ask questions, answer questions, learn from other motor cycle folks. If you are pissed because I asked a question, one time, two times, or 1000 times, I don't have a problem. You have a problem. Please don't troll me. It's okay, though. No one has ever done that. I don't want that kind of control over other people's actions whom I have no contact or connection with/to.

For those who read my carb issue, I found a solution on another forum. There is the fuel fitting pressed in the carb that controls/manages the fuel flow going into the fuel bowl from the fuel tank - see below. I had my carbs professionally cleaned/serviced. But, I had the same problem when I reinstalled them, hence asking the same question more than once in this forum. Well, the rubber o-rings on these fittings were bad, and one was actually broken, thus allowing fuel to get past the o-ring. I replaced them, about $20.00 for the four. The problem is solved. I am back to visit this forum looking for people who have this problem. If they ask one time, two times, three times, 1000 times, and I see their post, I will respond with assistance. I will never attack or mock someone who asks for help. And, please, if anyone who reads my solution come across someone with this problem, please share this possible fix. No matter how many times they ask about their problem. The fitting that presses into the carb, with the o-ring is what I purchased and replaced in my carbs. It was my solution.
                  Last edited by altownsend; 04-07-2021, 08:04 PM. Reason: Additional information about the solution - fuel getting past o-ring in carb fitting

Comment

Additional information about the solution - fuel getting past o-ring in carb fitting

Comment

Glad to hear you got it working , and circled back with your success .... pretty sure that was what we were trying to point to last year , but your pic nicely spells it all out .
                      I confess, I have never administered a forum, but can imagine there are some folks that wander in that arent who they pretend to be .... and maybe one gets a bit jaded ....
                      Sorry you got caught in the crossfire ... happy riding

Comment

Thanks for following up with the solution that worked for you.

FWIW.... I think the several follow up threads would have been better as a single thread... Something like "Been busy and have not had time to fix this yet" likely would have avoided any negative feedback about over the multiple threads.

Communicating feelings in forum posts is not always easy.

Very glad you got it fixed... I think the folks that tried to help you previously were pointing to the correct area of concern (fuel system leak)...
                        Also... That much fuel in the oil could become a fire hazard.

Have a safe riding season and welcome back to the road.

Cheers.
                        “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”...Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

I'm very confused after reading this thread from the beginning. Anyway enjoy your bike now it's fixed. They are a fun ride. :D
                          "You don't get slower with age, you just get more cautious." Michael Rutter

06 Ocean Blue ZZR1200, the coolest colour.
                          99 Yamaha R1

Comment

Working...
                          X