Fork problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fork problems

Hello, I’m in process of reassembling my bike which I bought partially disabled. I removed the fork tubes to have seals installed by the dealer. Reinstalled back into the bike (11.5mm showing per manual), and set the preload to about 8mm. The rebound adjustment per manual says 0-5 “clicks”. I cannot feel any clicks when I adjust with a screwdriver. I currently have them about 1/4 turn out from bottom out. Does anyone else recall theirs having a definitive “click” feel or sound?
    separately, upon install I could easily compress one tube by hand and not the other. I think I need to take it for a short drive after I get it painted and at least the tank on to get the springs seated again, then pull the wheel off and check again.

You should definitely be hearing "clicks".

How much compression you are getting by hand?

You shouldn't be able to get much if any at all.

Something is definitely not right.

Personally, I'd take it back to the shop that did the seals. Sounds like they mucked something up.

I also wouldn't ride it in that condition.

JMHO.

BTW How were the forks BEFORE you took them to the shop? Was just the seal leaking?

Let us know what you find out.
    I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

Originally posted by leusky2u View Post
      The rebound adjustment per manual says 0-5 “clicks”. I cannot feel any clicks when I adjust with a screwdriver.

The clicking noise/feel is made by a tiny ball bearing pushed by a little spring into a aluminum block with score lines that spins when rotated by the
      rebound adjuster. when dissembling the forks and the fork caps are off, it is possible to turn the rebound adjuster to far and the
      tiny ball bearing and spring will fall out. Getting them back into place is very difficult. Difficult enough that if someone did by mistake
      I could see them just leaving them out. If you can even find them when they fell out. Rebound would still work, just no clicking sound/feel.

I currently have them about 1/4 turn out from bottom out.
      when turned in all the way (bottomed out) do you feel the rebound working at all? You should.

upon install I could easily compress one tube by hand and not the other
      This should not be. Both should be equally hard to compress. Can't even image what's wrong if compresses easy, Forget to
      put oil in one of the tubes? Unless you're a gorilla size guy and your definition of easy is different then mine.

I think I need to take it for a short drive after I get it painted and at least the tank on to get the springs seated again
      No such thing as setting the springs.

I agree something sounds messed up.

I'd get a hold of the guys that worked on the forks. Take them back in show them how one side compresses easy and no clicker.

Our ability to distribute interesting information is out pacing our ability to create it.

Comment

If you can easily compress one fork, then there is no point in installing it and trying to ride. It's easy enough to unscrew the fork cap and have a look. Depending on what you mean by 'easily' you may find:
        1. Little or no fork oil
        2. Missing spring collar (spacer)
        3. Missing spring
        Since the mechanic obviously botched the job, I would want to know what is wrong before returning to that shop for correction. Everyone makes mistakes, and they may own up to it and make it right. Or... they might tell you stories or do some sort of hack fix. You'll be better able to detect the latter if you know what is/isn't inside your forks.

Oh, and I'd be very careful removing the fork cap, since you don't know if was even assembled correctly or completely. If the damper rod isn't attached, the fork cap could perform an 'energetic excursion' when unscrewed.

Let us know how this goes!
        How To Cheat on Personality Tests
        1. When asked for word associations or comments about the world, give the most conventional, run-of-the-mill, pedestrian answer possible.

2. To settle on the most beneficial answer to any question, repeat to yourself:
        (a) I loved my father and my mother, but my father a little bit more.
        (b) I like things pretty well the way they are.
        (c) I never worry much about anything.
        (d) I don't care for books or music much.
        (e) I love my wife and children.
        (f) I don't let them get in the way of company work.
        From <cite>The Organization Man</cite> by William Hollingsworth Whyte, 1956

Comment

Thanks everyone for your advice. I did take a video, and I will see if I am able to attach it.

Comment

UPDATE: Returned the forks to the dealer. They were very receptive to helping me out (they should have been, it's a big liability had I installed them). The tech forgot to put in one of the washers, so the fluid was rushing past. He checked the other one just in case, but it was fine. Secondly, there are no "clicks" to be felt or heard with the 2004. Just positions. It's kind of an estimate where the rebound is at. Thanks everyone who offered assistance, and sharing their experience with me. This is definitely the meat and potatoes of why these great groups exist!

Comment

What a nice little face-saving story they told. It does not square with your description of how easy it was to compress the fork, but as long as the fork is complete and correct now, I guess that's what matters most. On the 2004 ZZR1200 forks, there is no such washer... unless they disassembled the damper assembly itself - which certainly is not a normal task in a simple fork seal job.

If it were mine, I'd be unscrewing the caps to have a peek at the springs and spacers to confirm they match.
              How To Cheat on Personality Tests
              1. When asked for word associations or comments about the world, give the most conventional, run-of-the-mill, pedestrian answer possible.

2. To settle on the most beneficial answer to any question, repeat to yourself:
              (a) I loved my father and my mother, but my father a little bit more.
              (b) I like things pretty well the way they are.
              (c) I never worry much about anything.
              (d) I don't care for books or music much.
              (e) I love my wife and children.
              (f) I don't let them get in the way of company work.
              From <cite>The Organization Man</cite> by William Hollingsworth Whyte, 1956

Comment

I was thinking the same? Washer?

Compression is handled by the piston in the cartridge by moving oil through the bottom holes. Nothing to do with a washer?

Cartridges on these bikes are permanently sealed, you can't take them a part.

I;m thinking someone actually forgot to attached the top cap to the rebound rod. If that was the case the rebound
                rod would just get pushed into the cartridge and then you would not have any comp or rebound and fork would compress and
                rebound easily.

Anyway, seems they got it fixed up.

Our ability to distribute interesting information is out pacing our ability to create it.

Comment

There still should be "clicks" or if not an audible "click" at least a detent in the rebound adjuster that is able to be felt when adjusting.

Only thing that shouldn't click is the preload adjuster.

Maybe someone should take a quick video of their ZZR while adjusting the rebound and see what noise is made???

I guess if the OP is happy with the outcome that's all that matters.

I wouldn't be.

I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

Working...
                  X