Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Risers - Help.....

Any help on this very much welcome...

So fitting risers should be an easy thing to do - and there's a set for about 70 quid on eBay that I want to try.... problem is I can't seem to get the four handlebar bolts undone - tried WD40, heat gun, socket set, big handled Allen keys.... next step would be a breaker bar but I'm a bit concerned about breaking the bolts..... any one else had issues? - is it just a case of more brute force required do you reckon or am I missing something..... at this point none of them are shifting at all.....

Cheers etc...

I'd try a impact wrench. Hammer blow type

Breaker bar. I'd be more worried about stripping the heads. Impact is way to go.

Like this one.....

https://www.amazon.com/ARES-70006-3-...TVRMHA6NPVBTR0
    Last edited by piken; 02-05-2020, 11:13 AM.
    Our ability to distribute interesting information is out pacing our ability to create it.

Comment

With other bolts in the past I've had to take a small propane torch to them to get them hot enough to loosen up.

Possible someone put some Red Loc Tite on them or they are just seized to aluminum triple and stainless metallurgy.

Hope you get em.
      I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

Thanks both for that - impact driver next then...... I just googled stainless steel and aluminium.... that doesn't look ideal - just hoping that isn't the case as I wouldn't want to be breaking the top off the bolt there.... Never easy is it.. :-/

Comment

I think Big-O is on to something. Sounds like might be some red loc-tite involved.
          I use the blue on everything, but only the red when you don't ever want to take it off
          unless you have to. I found a torch (propane type) that is not much bigger than a
          sharpie marker that works great for what you need. They can be filled from those
          standard plumber type that you find at Lowes/Home Depot stores. Good luck.
          "If it ain't broke, don't fix it...
          but sometimes it just needs a mod"

Comment

Originally posted by piken View Post
            I'd try a impact wrench. Hammer blow type

Breaker bar. I'd be more worried about stripping the heads. Impact is way to go.

Like this one.....

https://www.amazon.com/ARES-70006-3-...TVRMHA6NPVBTR0
            This. I had to buy one for doing something on the bike. Worked great. Bar ends maybe.....I don't recall.

Comment

Originally posted by slayman View Post
              Bar ends maybe.....I don't recall.
              Probably

I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

If all else fails.. patience and a SMALL hammer. Seriously, with an exact fit regular Allen key snugged in keep tapping away BOTH directions alternately. Even if you have to do this for 10 minutes! That stainless to aluminium thing is most likely the issue and can be a bitch.Trying to break up that oxide bond by agitation essentially. Sounds daft but I have used this approach on those pesky grub screws on car brake discs that are easy to ruin with impact drivers. Sometimes less can be more?
                Young riders pick a destination and go. Old riders pick a direction and go.
                A motorcycle can't sing on the streets of a city.

Comment

Finally... took a mate with a breaker bar to sort out the issue - loctite was indeed the culprit - got the risers on today - waiting for a break in the weather to try out the new ergonomics... thanks for the advice...
                  IMG_20200226_141219.jpg

Comment

Good deal.

Glad you got them loose.

See you went with the Gen Mars. Many of us have went that route.

BTW What is the switch gear on the left clip on?

Heated grip controller?

Cruise Control?

Comment

Hello there - that's a controller for the heated grips - which are very welcome in the UK at this time of year.....

I got the risers from Moto-CNC in the UK (eBay) - 70 quid and quick turn around -

Waiting for a break in the weather now to give them a go as I'm a wimp and don't enjoy the rain....

Comment

Winter is slowly coming to an end here in my part ( Illinois) of the United States.

30 F yesterday but supposed to 60 F this Sunday.

Hope to get a little ride in.

Then rain for the next 4 days after that

Thanks.

Comment

They shouldn't have been that tight. Probably over torqued at one point. Surely you installed longer bolts now.
                          KN, this ride's for You.

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/p...ps2ecwj35m.jpg

Comment

Working...
                          X