Forks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forks

Just recently I noticed oil stains on my paving, near my front wheel, right side. I had a look, and found that my brake line on that side was oily, I had oil on my disk, and I'm sure I will need new brake pads there as well.
    Closer inspection showed that I had oil on the fork tube, ie a leaking seal.

Wheel removed:

Forks1.JPG

Right fork:

Forks2.JPG

Left fork seems better:

Forks3.JPG

A mess:

Forks4.JPG

Pitting:

Forks5.JPG

I'm using fine emery paper to clean up some of the rust and pitting. I may treat it with ACF50 before I put them back in.

I am getting the shop to do the rest of the work. I have done it previously, but as I get older I am less inclined to do all of the work.
    I suffer from kleptomania. When it gets bad, I take something for it.

If that pitting is in the fork stroke I'd coat those tubes or find a replacement set before spending time and money on seals and oil.

That pitting is just going to cause leaking again (quickly) if in the stroke, and then more new seals, oil and maybe brake pads too.

You already did the hard part of removing the forks, seals are the easy part.
    Our ability to distribute interesting information is out pacing our ability to create it.

Comment

Doesn't look like the pitting is in the fork travel area

May be a good time to find a set of forks from an 04/05 model

I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

The pitting seems to be above the fork travel area.
        I've worked on these before, as well as my ZRX forks, and know what is involved, but as I said, getting older .........
        04/05 replacement forks ain't cheap, none to be had here in Oz, postage from overseas (US) is a killer.

Comment

I keep forgetting where you are. I do know about shipping cost from US to Australia.
          Holy shit, sometimes just 5 times as much, if you're lucky. Good luck with the rebuild.
          "If it ain't broke, don't fix it...
          but sometimes it just needs a mod"

Comment

There is a set ('03 model) available for around $290AUS, shipping included. They have 50,000km of travel on them.
            I will price the rebuild, and go from there.

Comment

I took the forks to my usual workshop. Consensus there is that they will leak again soon, because there is some pitting lower down the tubes.
              As Piken wrote, that will lead to further expenses later on.
              So, I have gone with the 2003 forks I mentioned. When I get them, I will change oil and seals.
              Thanks for the input.

Comment

hopefully the seal takes. What weight oil do you use?
                Proud Father of a US soldier

Try Scorpion Helmets

norcalsportriders.com

Pirelli Tires - CT Racing

Dave Moss - Catalyst Reaction

Comment

The forks won't be here for at least a week (snail shipping).
                  I can't see a problem with a new seal though, and I will be checking the bushes as well.
                  I generally use 7.5 weight.

Comment

Brake pads - soaked them in brake cleaner fluid for 3 days. Nice and clean, ready to go back in. I still need to apply brake cleaner to the disk, without getting any on the paintwork, but that shouldn't be a problem.

Comment

Progress. New(er) forks arrived 2 days ago. They are straight and spotless, except for a few minor marks where they have been clamped. New seals and fresh oil taken care of.
                      Forks are in.
                      Test ride tomorrow, New Year's Day.

Next job: Arashi rotor, and a caliper service (has never been apart in 17 years) on the rear wheel, in a couple of weeks.

NewForks.JPG

Bike in the background is my ZRX. New Arashi rotor, and disc pads on there. However, caliper pistons wouldn't retract far enough, so the brakes were sticking. I had to remove the caliper and split it. One piston came out easily enough, the other would not budge. I had to take it to the bike shop, and it took them quite a few hours of soaking with WD40, and using compressed air, to finally get that piston to move. That one hadn't been apart for 18 years ......
                      I look forward to the task on the ZZR.
                      Last edited by BillDownUnder; 12-31-2019, 03:52 AM.

Comment

Looking good
                        I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

New Year's Day here, midday (we're half a world ahead of the rest of you, time wise). Test ride done. Forks seem better than the ones I took off. I guess a service and oil change work wonders.

What I have noticed though, is that I no longer have minor head shakes when decelerating, something I had always put down to either an issue with the front tyre, or the luggage case on the back being buffeted.
                          Also, the slight vibrations I used to get at certain rpms are no longer there.

This could be a win-win situation.

After cleaning the front brake pads, I had to do some hard braking to bed them in again. Seems like no adverse effects from the oil contamination and subsequent cleaning.
                          Last edited by BillDownUnder; 12-31-2019, 10:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X