Steering Head Bearings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering Head Bearings

I'm thinking about replacing mine with the roller type. When pulling these old ones
    off, do you need a bearing puller? I would think a bearing wedge driver would work
    being I'm putting new ones on. Also, does the triple clamp need to be removed if you
    are just adjusting the front steering?
    "If it ain't broke, don't fix it...
    but sometimes it just needs a mod"

Charlie, a bit of heat on the outside may help to get the old one out.
    New bearings - put them in the freezer for a while, and use a driver of sorts.
    Worked for me in the past.
    I suffer from kleptomania. When it gets bad, I take something for it.

Comment

I guess I shot this project down. Checked again tonight (with help) to see if there was
      any front end play. None. Not a damn bit. This is good though. Now I can install all of the
      new brake lines (all Galfer braided stainless) and work on my Gopro mount system
      I've been modifying. Allways something.
      Next will be all new rotors, then just some cleaning up shit. Then just more riding until
      winter sets in. Right now, riding is still good, when it's not raining. I still have a high speed
      vibration (around 100-120) haven't figured that one out yet. Might be a shitty tire, don't know.
      It's a steady shake too, balance? Doubt it, but who knows.
      Last edited by CHARLIE; 12-09-2019, 08:52 PM.

Comment

What tires you running?

How many miles on them?

Is it a vibration or a head shake?
        I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

I have Road5's on it with about 4600 miles. But they still look good and have
          a bunch left on em. Could be bad front tire (had that once before) It feels like a balance
          thing but only comes into play at just over 100-110 most times. It's not a headshake or wiggle
          my dampener would take care of that most of the time. Drives me nuts cause that's my
          beginning wild-hair speed. I must have my speed fix, or just stay in my truck.

Comment

For future reference, I used a J bar (small) and a hammer; a flat head screwdriver would work as well. Either way, be careful when tapping them out. Meaning catch just the bottom lip/edge and tap. Mine came out relatively easy from what I recall. Yet I had the same question when I did mine; slide hammer, bearing puller, ???. I bought a blind bearing puller with slide hammer from harbor freight and have had some good success with it so far.

Comment

I've had that too. It should show up at 60 MPH, but deffo shows up at 120. A real pain when you're cruising...
              Probably the tire, like you said.
              KN, this ride's for You.

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/p...ps2ecwj35m.jpg

Comment

It really isn't there at lower (law abiding) speeds, but upper adrenaline pumping speed,
                it hits and stays. I don't know if it ever quits cause I ain't running any faster to see WTF
                it might be. I guess when I change out the front tire, I'll know then..........I hope.

Comment

Order a cheap bearing race driver set on Amazon or harbor freight. They are not in there that tight. I cut a 1mm gap in the old race and use it to drive in the new race. getting the old race off the stem you will need a bearing separator and a vice. Its not hard, if you have the right tools and know how to do it.

Comment

Ok, so the bearing thing can be taken care of in the future easy enough. Any more thoughts on the
                    high speed shake? I hate if it's a tire, those Road5's ain't cheap and these still look good. But,
                    if it is, I guess I'll bite that one. I'm thinking the bearings are ok.

Comment

Make sure the speedo brass insert is not.bent. Spacer part that goes into speedo gear. I did that once and it caused a high speed vibration. Otherwise are your wheel bearings fresh? Also check rear swing arm bearings.

Comment

Originally posted by CHARLIE View Post
                        I hate if it's a tire, those Road5's ain't cheap and these still look good.
                        Charlie, for what it is worth, the PR5 I have on the front gives me no trouble whatsoever (12,000km +).
                        I suffer from kleptomania. When it gets bad, I take something for it.

Comment

I'm not blaming the manufacturer of the tire, just the tire I have.
                          I had a bad PR2 years ago and Michelin made good on that one.
                          This one I probably have too many miles it now for them to replace
                          it like they did before. I guess I'll just run it out and get another set
                          when the rear goes. Michelin Road5 is by far the best tire I've
                          ever ran on anything with 2 wheels that I've had.

Comment

The easiest thing to do would be to check the tire/wheel balance. It does change as tires wear.

And how long since you changed your fork oil? More than 3 years? A lot of riders let that go way too long.

I know you are holding off on the bearing change, but I still want to offer the thought that roller bearings are not a good choice for the steering head. Yes, they can bear a great load, but they also have higher turning resistance, which can diminish handling/feel. The ZZR's stock head bearings are very much up to the job, as evidenced by the years user experience. Why mess that up?
                            How To Cheat on Personality Tests
                            1. When asked for word associations or comments about the world, give the most conventional, run-of-the-mill, pedestrian answer possible.

2. To settle on the most beneficial answer to any question, repeat to yourself:
                            (a) I loved my father and my mother, but my father a little bit more.
                            (b) I like things pretty well the way they are.
                            (c) I never worry much about anything.
                            (d) I don't care for books or music much.
                            (e) I love my wife and children.
                            (f) I don't let them get in the way of company work.
                            From <cite>The Organization Man</cite> by William Hollingsworth Whyte, 1956

Comment

Head bearings are pretty straight forward. I went with tappered bearings it did change the feel a bit. I liked it.
                              Proud Father of a US soldier

Try Scorpion Helmets

norcalsportriders.com

Pirelli Tires - CT Racing

Dave Moss - Catalyst Reaction

Comment

Working...
                              X