Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chain tensioner arm smacking on clutch plate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chain tensioner arm smacking on clutch plate?

So i went to top up oil yesterday and was greeted by a freshly pitted clutch plate! This happened some time within the last 1500 miles. Im sure everyone who rides a zzr has hit some false neutral at some point in shifting. I wonder if this happened from trying to force bike back in gear when moving at speed (which i have tried and failed several times. Shift peg kicks back violently). Or is it indicative of a weak tensioner spring?

EDIT:
    After posting i realized several other members have posted simelar things.
    did anyone ever come up with a solid list of parts needed to fix the issue?

Comment

you have 2 options. Buy a factory new chain tensioner.. or go this route. http://www.kwickstand.net/Hyper-Form...ner_Tamer.html get a clutch case gasket... maybe replace your clutch when you in there.

Comment

Originally posted by jmenon View Post
        you have 2 options. Buy a factory new chain tensioner.. or go this route. http://www.kwickstand.net/Hyper-Form...ner_Tamer.html get a clutch case gasket... maybe replace your clutch when you in there.
        Thanks! would you suggest the ELS mod over an OEM replacement tensioner? Seems like with oem I would be putting a part in that might be liable to do the same thing again? And do you mean just the clutch plates or the entire kit?
        i have to spend some money on this bike Next season anyway, carb clean, new chain and sprockets... Would rather get everything sorted right in one shot than have to go back in later

Comment

Check out the ELS mod. Hundreds of ZZR and ZRX (same tensioner) have done this mod.
          Not expensive and a good fix for this issue.
          "If it ain't broke, don't fix it...
          but sometimes it just needs a mod"

Comment

I have installed many of Pete's aka Kwick parts over the last 16 years . Pretty good stuff , and a close friend of mine . You will be happy

Comment

Originally posted by c10 View Post
              I have installed many of Pete's aka Kwick parts over the last 16 years . Pretty good stuff , and a close friend of mine . You will be happy
              Is that the ELS piece they are talking about?
              I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

Yes Mike it is . ELS = Expensive light weight Stuff ( shit in some web sites ) My Hayabusa wears a few custom parts Pete has made for me . Hes the tall guy in the photo ;)

Comment

10-4
                  I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

Working...
                  X