spring preload adjustment query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spring preload adjustment query

Hello there - should have noticed before but on the new (to me) zzr1200 the front spring preload adjustment is different for the left and right ... (which I suspect is not a good thing) - would there have been any (good) reason why someone would have done that?

Its a fair way off with the left at about the standard 18mm and the right at about half that....

I have adjusted back to around 18mm for both - and have noticed that the right adjustment is smooth on the spanner whereas the left one is slightly "clicky" anyone got any thoughts on this.

.. and thanks for reading...

I haven't taken the bike out after adjusting at this point - if didn't seem to be handling badly this morning when I took it out - but I'm still being ultra cautious getting used to the bike -

Cheers

Rich

You're correct. Should be equal. Also, if yours has rebound, it should be the same as well.
    As far as the adjustment "feel" being different, has this bike ever had one or both forks replaced?
    And, if you haven't already, find you a fork brace for it too. You'll be glad you did.
    "If it ain't broke, don't fix it...
    but sometimes it just needs a mod"

Comment

Thanks for the response Charlie - not had front forks replaced as far as I can tell - nothing in the history to suggest that - but I bought it from a dealer a week ago - so.......I can't be completely certain on that of course - is there an easy way (or any) way to tell that you know of?

It had new fork seals, bushes, fork oil less than a year ago according to the bills that came with it - nothing else mentioned re the forks

A fork brace sounds like a good plan - I'll take a look at that

Took it out for a short ride after adjusting and it feels ok to me - also softened up the rear preload and that feels better (at least to me)...

Cheers

Rich

Comment

The 04 and 05 ( I think) were the only years with rebound adjustment on front (there is a brass screw in the middle of top cap if so)
        If you have that, 2 turns out from all the way in for starting point. A fork brace is money well spent, keeps the front from flexing and makes it just
        feel more planted.

Comment

That would have been done during the fork service, probably the mechanic's offsider putting it all back together.
          I once had mine serviced. This is how it came back (look at the height difference at the clamps).

ForkHeightRight.jpgForkHeightLeft.jpg

+1 on the fork brace.
          Last edited by BillDownUnder; 06-15-2019, 08:33 PM.
          I suffer from kleptomania. When it gets bad, I take something for it.

Comment

Thanks both - blimey re the clamps and height.... waiting for the rain to go away and going to have a look at settings again front and back - after adjusting again last night and another ride I think I'm nearly there now on that - appreciated.

Cheers once again -

Rich

Comment

Originally posted by BillDownUnder View Post
              That would have been done during the fork service, probably the mechanic's offsider putting it all back together.
              I once had mine serviced. This is how it came back (look at the height difference at the clamps).

ForkHeightRight.jpgForkHeightLeft.jpg

+1 on the fork brace.
              Another reason to service stuff yourself when you can. I don't understand why that
              would be overlooked really, that's just 'front fork 101". I know guys that get forks and
              shocks and other parts serviced by seemingly qualified mechanics then reassemble
              themselves. I know this is not always the option though. Glad you seem to have that one
              ironed out. I would get a couple of beers, maybe a friend to help, and go over every
              nut, bolt, adjustment, and what ever else on a bike that has been to a shop that missed
              a fork alignment. Get out the manual, and just check everything. I do that on a regular
              basis and I'm the only hands that ever touch my 02, I think that is why it's still running like
              near new to this day.

Comment

Must of used a mallet to get the axle back in.

I guess there's a chance the fork tube slipped in the tripples after hitting big bump
                or something too.
                Our ability to distribute interesting information is out pacing our ability to create it.

Comment

Thanks - I need to look everything over I think - the dealer "serviced" the bike before I picked it up. I wonder how thorough that was (or if it even happened)....

Cheers

Rich

Comment

Working...
                  X