Turn Signal glitch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turn Signal glitch

Ok, the turn signal demon has returned, so anybody got any ideas? It works intermittently, which
    sux cause when you really need it, it doesn't work. I've replaced the entire handlebar switch assy. so
    that rules that out, hopefully. I'm thinking a grounding issue. Little help. Thanks in advance.
    "If it ain't broke, don't fix it...
    but sometimes it just needs a mod"

Originally posted by CHARLIE View Post
    the turn signal demon has returned, so anybody got any ideas?

‚Äč
    Our ability to distribute interesting information is out pacing our ability to create it.

Comment

This won't help .......
      I suffer from kleptomania. When it gets bad, I take something for it.

Comment

I will assume you are smarter than me..... but on a couple of long trips , either I accidently depressed my 4 way flashers instead of the horn or turn signals....net net , I dont recall exactly why the 4 way flashers werent flashing ..... but bottom line, while the button was depressed , my signals did not work . I looked for burned fuses, etc, before I stumbled across the 4 way flashers .
        Untoggled the 4 way flasher button , and magic .....

I hate to admit it, but I think I made the same mistake on a couple occasions. And yes, while it is my biggest peave of mine, for other riders..... yes I have left my signals on after a pass ... embarrassing !
        This is likely not your issue I hope ..... but just in case .....

Comment

One thing is, as when my turn signals don't work, the 4 way (emergency flashers) don't work either.
          I have replaced the relay for the flasher/turn signal circuit, no change. The intermittent function
          is what aggravates me most.Still thinking a ground somewhere but haven't come up with a cure yet.
          BTW, the fuse is good and I have changed that also.

Comment

Charlie, have you tried removing a globe at a time, to see if it might isolate a ground problem?

Comment

Originally posted by BillDownUnder View Post
              Charlie, have you tried removing a globe at a time, to see if it might isolate a ground problem?
              Nope. Good idea though. I'll have some down time this weekend to dilly dally with the issue again.
              This kind of thing aggravates the shit out of me. I troubleshoot and repair GPS systems everyday
              but when I get home, I just want to ride it, not screw around with electrical gremlins. Thanks
              for the help. I will let the site know what I find.

Comment

Ok. After more checking yesterday, I have come to the opinion
                that the problem is in the key/switch itself. I can turn it on, and
                turn signals work, turn it back off and on again, they don't.
                This is intermittent when it happens too. So, I guess I can replace it
                or live with it.

Comment

Perhaps the switch needs a good clean. Could be that the copper contacts now sport a nice green colour that needs to be removed.

Comment

Back on this turn signal thing again. How to get key switch out? Looks
                    like it's riveted in from the bottom. Is this correct?

Comment

Originally posted by CHARLIE View Post
                      Back on this turn signal thing again. How to get key switch out? Looks
                      like it's riveted in from the bottom. Is this correct?
                      You mean the ignition barrel? If so get a Dremel or similar and grind off the security bolt heads. You can get the bolt stems off with a mole grip. Them bolts are a pain in the ass.

Comment

IIRC, I used a left-handed drill bit when I did that job. It dug in and acted as a wrench to unscrew the security screws. They came out easily. You might also use a small chisel to turn the screws.
                        How To Cheat on Personality Tests
                        1. When asked for word associations or comments about the world, give the most conventional, run-of-the-mill, pedestrian answer possible.

2. To settle on the most beneficial answer to any question, repeat to yourself:
                        (a) I loved my father and my mother, but my father a little bit more.
                        (b) I like things pretty well the way they are.
                        (c) I never worry much about anything.
                        (d) I don't care for books or music much.
                        (e) I love my wife and children.
                        (f) I don't let them get in the way of company work.
                        From <cite>The Organization Man</cite> by William Hollingsworth Whyte, 1956

Comment

Thanks guys. I'll look into it this weekend probably.
                          Just too damn hot/humid to ride much now anyway.
                          Sounds like a good project.

Comment

Working...
                          X