Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fuel problem?

new issue with the ZZR1200...
    what would the symptoms of a knackered fuel pump? i hae just replaced the coils which had failed, but now the bike ticks over nicely with the feul tap OFF, but as soon as i put it to either reserve or ON, the tickover gets erratic and will stall, not to start again until i switch the feul tap off. As soon as i start it again, it smells as though the engine has been flooded.

Sounds like the floats stay in the open position - might need to check/clean/replace needles and seats
    I suffer from kleptomania. When it gets bad, I take something for it.

Comment

Originally posted by BillDownUnder View Post
      Sounds like the floats stay in the open position - might need to check/clean/replace needles and seats
      Seems this would be the first thing to check.
      How long since the bike was running normally?
      “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”...Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Check your oil and make sure it doesn't smell like fuel, or overfull. You can tap on the float bowls with a long extension to try and knock the floats loose. Then run Techron through it.
        KN, this ride's for You.

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/p...ps2ecwj35m.jpg

Comment

... Also be careful that your cylinders dont hydraulic, or fill with fuel , and you find your engine does not turn over when you hit your starter. I had the same issue a few years back and just replaced all 4 float pins/ needles. While it would be perfect if there is just some dirt holding float pins open...the rubber tips do break down over time and dont seat properly..... allowing fuel to drain down from your tank into your cylinders while the engine is off..... ( if you leave tap ON or RES) ...which was my scenario, causing the cylinders to fill up and lock.... luckily these same guys likely steered me in this direction, as my dealer said I needed a new fuel pump because it never shut off .... !! Grrrrr.... After new pump and same problem.... started looking like you, ended up here as well !! They nailed it....

Comment

If the Zed was FI, I'd probably still own mine. The carbs don't like down time.
            “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”...Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Originally posted by Wozza_t View Post
              new issue with the ZZR1200...
              what would the symptoms of a knackered fuel pump? i hae just replaced the coils which had failed, but now the bike ticks over nicely with the feul tap OFF, but as soon as i put it to either reserve or ON, the tickover gets erratic and will stall, not to start again until i switch the feul tap off. As soon as i start it again, it smells as though the engine has been flooded.
              You took the "float valves" out of the carbs and noticed how easily they slid home upon assembly. You need new O-Rings for the float valves and will have to lube those rings in order to get the valves to seat properly. There is a felt resistance as the float valves are placed into the tapered well prior to snugging down the screw that retains all 4 of them. FO SHIZZLE. Throttle closed, gasoline will pool on the back side of all 4 butterflies. Look and watch as it happens and you will know why.

Please keep us posted.

You are right about the engine being flooded.
              Last edited by dondiego; 01-29-2019, 01:30 AM.
              Sin's a good mans brother.

Comment

Billdownunder : i have not had the carns cleaned and float hights checked, and i was told they are all ok.

Ramblin66 : i was using the bike alomst daily until my coil failed, then it was about a week to get that sorted.

Jimmymac : i have just checked the oil level and it has risen, what would couse this?

dondiego : i have not touched the cars, a friend of mine has gone over them and said that the needles look fine, although there are some rubber 'o' rings in the bottom that could do with replacing, but he dont think they would let that amount of fuel through.

i think i am going to get a carb refurb kit with needles, o rings and gaskets for it, then hope for the best.

Comment

Originally posted by Stevo555 View Post
                  ... Also be careful that your cylinders dont hydraulic, or fill with fuel , and you find your engine does not turn over when you hit your starter. I had the same issue a few years back and just replaced all 4 float pins/ needles. While it would be perfect if there is just some dirt holding float pins open...the rubber tips do break down over time and dont seat properly..... allowing fuel to drain down from your tank into your cylinders while the engine is off..... ( if you leave tap ON or RES) ...which was my scenario, causing the cylinders to fill up and lock.... luckily these same guys likely steered me in this direction, as my dealer said I needed a new fuel pump because it never shut off .... !! Grrrrr.... After new pump and same problem.... started looking like you, ended up here as well !! They nailed it....
                  thanks for this, i have not noticed any hydraulic lock, but after you have said this, i am not going to keep on at it to see if it does.

Comment

Originally posted by Wozza_t View Post
                    Ramblin66 : i was using the bike alomst daily until my coil failed, then it was about a week to get that sorted.

Jimmymac : i have just checked the oil level and it has risen, what would couse this?
                    It would be a little unusual for a daily driver to develop carb issues sitting for only 1 week, but, it would not be impossible.

If the oil level is rising, take off the oil filler cap and give it a smell.... it probably smells like gasoline, which is a big problem. Once you fix the fuel problem (likely carbs, not fuel pumps [the 1200 has 2 fuel pumps]), you'll need to change the oil and filter.

I'm going from memory here, so, hopefully someone will come along and correct me.... If the floats stick open, the overflow fuel floods into the ram air and gets into the oil sump via the breather that's also located in the ram chute. I think....

Comment

If it's overfull, yes it's likely fuel in the oil. it's pretty common on carbed bikes. And likely the demise of several.
                      KN, this ride's for You.

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/p...ps2ecwj35m.jpg

Comment

Working...
                      X