Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coil failure

Hi guys,
    my coil pack failed on my 2004, and i was wondering if there are any upgrades i can do, i have heard that the ZX10 coils help it run smoother and help mid range riding, but im not sure which year would fit.
    Also, after speaking to the local bike parts shop, they want £200 for a single coil as they are kawasaki parts only and only 1 fits the bike....im not too sure this is correct either.

Any help is much appreciated

There is a ton of used ones on the ole Fleebay. I would try one of those if the other coil
    is still good. A lot cheaper than 200 bucks too. Can't answer about the conversion
    on the ZX10 coils but,someone here will know.
    "If it ain't broke, don't fix it...
    but sometimes it just needs a mod"

Comment

Originally posted by CHARLIE View Post
      There is a ton of used ones on the ole Fleebay. I would try one of those if the other coil
      is still good. A lot cheaper than 200 bucks too. Can't answer about the conversion
      on the ZX10 coils but,someone here will know.
      thanks Charlie,
      fleebay are offering some for less than £20, but im always nevous of buying electrical parts from there.

Comment

Me too. But, small price to pay for a chance it is good. Stop payment on the Paypal (if you use that)
        then that will give them a chance to make it right. Also, don't forget there are 2 coils on the ZED,
        1 for 1-4 the other for 2-3
        Last edited by CHARLIE; 01-18-2019, 02:47 PM.

Comment

I've bought quite a few used parts from eBay and only ever had one problem. It took a couple of weeks to resolve but I got a full refund.

You could do a stick coil conversion but the ZZR1200 runs fine with standard coils. I found Iridium plugs to be a good upgrade.

Have you checked the ends of the HT leads?
          "You don't get slower with age, you just get more cautious." Michael Rutter

06 Ocean Blue ZZR1200, the coolest colour.
          99 Yamaha R1

Comment

I'm selling a set of stick coils (off a ZX-10R) that I used on my ZX11 for a while. It is now up for sale and I'm selling the upgrade parts individually.
            They comes with the harness and would be a plug'n ride for any ZX11 (and surely for a ZZ-R1200).
            Asking $50 + shipping

Comment

Nice set-up!
              KN, this ride's for You.

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/p...ps2ecwj35m.jpg

Comment

ZZR runs very well with stick coils, I find that it responds quicker.
                I did the same with my ZRX.
                I suffer from kleptomania. When it gets bad, I take something for it.

Comment

thanks for the replies, i bit the bullet and got some from ebay, ohms tested them before install, and they seem to be fine, although have anew issue with the ZZR1200...
                  what would the symptoms of a knackered fuel pump? i hae just replaced the coils which had failed, but now the bike ticks over nicely with the feul tap OFF, but as soon as i put it to either reserve or ON, the tickover gets erratic and will stall, not to start again until i switch the feul tap off. As soon as i start it again, it smells as though the engine has been flooded.

Comment

You might have sticking floats and just emptied a bunch of fuel in the motor.
                    Did you check the oil? If you dumped fuel in it, that's where I'd start. And, how long has it been since this bike ran?

Comment

Working...
                    X