Off Idle Flat Spot

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off Idle Flat Spot

If I have an off idle flat spot, would raising the needles a notch work?

It already has a dynojet kit, which helped a little but did not fix the problem.

Today I turned the pilot screws 2.5 turns out, then 3 turns, but it didn't seem to do anything.

Or should you do a carb sync after turning the pilot jets?

I'm 1000ft above sea level....maybe bigger pilot jet???

dinky,

The quickest, easiest, and cheapest would be the .020 shims on the needles. Mine, (some 15+ years ago) was around 3500 to 4000 rpm I think.
    3 turns out on the pilot screws, been running like a champ ever since. No jet kit on mine, only carb mod ever done was shims. Make sure shims are .125
    on the inside hole and lay flat on the head part of the needles.
    "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

Comment

The dynojet kit comes with needles that have clips. So you don't need shims.

My e clip is in the 4th groove from the top.

I followed the instructions from the kit without deviation.

dinky,

Comment

Woops. I'll pay more attention next time. Good luck on that one. Surely someone with that same kit will chime in soon.
        "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

Comment

Originally posted by dinkyguitar View Post
          The dynojet kit comes with needles that have clips. So you don't need shims.

My e clip is in the 4th groove from the top.

I followed the instructions from the kit without deviation.

dinky,
          Third clip from the top will richen the mixture for the lower to top midrange. A shim under the needle clip will allow for half increments of adjustment. Be sure the pilot jets are free flowing. Good luck and please continue to share what you find with every adjustment. We're watching.
          Sin's a good mans brother.

Comment

So I raised the needle as high as it can go.

The instructions from DynoJet are to put the clip in the 4th from the top, so I dropped it down another notch.

Took her out for a ride and it seems to have fixed the flat spot.

I road my usual route where I felt the flat spot and it's no longer there.

I'm not sure if that means I need a larger pilot jet or bigger main jet if I wanted to keep the c clip in the original position.

I'll give it a carb sync, and maybe turn the pilot jet 1/2 more and call it a day.

dinky,

Comment

Read your plugs! What needle did you raise as high as it would it go? The e-clip is used to tune the carbs to your bike. Read your plugs! The DynoJet instructions are a starting point. The only way to be sure your bike is perfectly tuned is to have it on a dyno with an exhaust gas analysis. Read your plugs. Sounds like you have your bike tuned to your area of riding. Read your plugs.
              Sin's a good mans brother.

Comment

Working...
              X