is this thing necessary?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is this thing necessary?

I am wondering the purpose of and importance of a part called a "head cover" (schematic ID 49016A) which I just had to yank out from between my radiator and engine because it had slipped from wherever it was supposed to be and landed on my exhaust head pipe and began to burn while I was in traffic.
    I managed to pull in to the bike shop I was headed for to get my bike inspected for the year and luckily they had a hose nearby that I squirted a little water on before it decided to ignite 6 gallons of gas and send my bike to the junk pile.
    Anyway... That little plate / flap / cover...whatever it is, why is it there, what does it do and what are the consequences of not being able to even remotely get it back in without tearing the tank and aibox off?
    As far as I can tell it's about as necessary as you-know-what's on a bull.
    2004 ZZR1200 moonlight gray, Shinko 011 Verge tires, 1.25" bar risers, color matched Corbin Beetle Bags, stock exhaust, KLEEN system removed.

It does have a purpose, but I can't recall what it is. I do know that others have had problems with it slipping and hitting the heads as well.
    Mostly Stock '03
    Support a starving author!
    www.vanstry.net

Comment

If memory serves right, that piece has a dual purpose. Guides air and blocks air as an air dam of sorts. Has a rubber edge to make a "seal" at the front, and guides the air toward the head, around the side, and a bit toward the frond of the motor. Think of it a fan shroud for its purpose. Mine slipped down and rested on the header one day. Scared the crap out of me with the smoke. Yanked it out as best I could and then finished the extraction once home. Rode without it for about 1.5 years. Didn't notice an increase of temps or loss of power.

Comment

Needed? No. But you can drill a small hole and run a zip tie through to keep it in place, the next time you dig in there. That's what I did.
        KN, this ride's for You.

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/p...ps2ecwj35m.jpg

Comment

Glad you averted disaster like many of the rest of us, MCM

While I am master of my sword, I shall never think any man greater than myself.
          ~Eumenes of Cardia

I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth. ~Steve McQueen

I work over by worlds of fun. ~JimmyMac

My photo album - http://zzrbikes.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=146333

Comment

Maybe keeps the gas tank cooler? Just a guess after looking at it on my bike.
            "You don't get slower with age, you just get more cautious." Michael Rutter

06 Ocean Blue ZZR1200, the coolest colour.
            99 Yamaha R1

Comment

This part is there to avoid the air going through the radiator (and that is now quite hot at that stage) to reach the rider and make it noticeably uncomfortable.

Comment

Originally posted by Claude View Post
                This part is there to avoid the air going through the radiator (and that is now quite hot at that stage) to reach the rider and make it noticeably uncomfortable.
                This is what I thought it was for too...
                “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”...Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Make sure to secure it properly ,.mine fell alon the header and started a fire. (Was at stop light and was able to put it out right away)

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                  X