Running problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big Steve,

It seems to me that on 2 & 3 the float valve is not closing properly, flooding your carbs and fouling the plugs.
    I think that you may as well replace needles and seats on all 4.
    Check float levels while you're in there.
    My 6c.

(one of my sons, named Steve, is a "Big Steve", at 6'4" 110kg).
    I suffer from kleptomania. When it gets bad, I take something for it.

Comment

Hi Bill thanks for the input although the needle and seats look good I am going to put new in was going to get genuine kawasaki but too pricey at £220 sterling so am sourcing from elsewhere I'm really hoping this will get her running correctly again

Comment

Originally posted by Bigsteve13 View Post
        Exactly what I thought so put new leads onto a spare coil I know is working and it's just the same so stripped the carbs and float valve o rings look totally fucked anyone know size of o ring so I can try to just get them as valve n seat are in good condition
        Go to the O-Ring Store. http://www.theoringstore.com/
        Order Model: B50N 1.78X006.07
        They are 1.78mm X 6.07mm Metric O-ring Buna N 50
        Order a dozen of them, I think they cost 39 cents each.

I have them in my bike and they work just fine. The well that the float valve seats into has a slight taper/notch and will need a very small amount of lube before assembly.
        Replace all 4 and let us know how it works out.

Good Luck.
        Sin's a good mans brother.

Comment

Not trying to be a back seat rider here. I said it at the start of this thread.. unless you really like the pain of all this... even very experienced people that have done MC carbs run into all these issues with the Zed. Wheelsmith.. I have no skin in the game.. Is worth every penny. I had them install a jet kit on my zed 4 yrs ago. Was having a few minor issues.. $300 later with factory pro jet kit installed.. NEVER had one fueling issue. 60k miles on the zed. Now we do not have to let our bikes sit here in California. The zed carbs have a lot of tricky nuances. I have said it 50x here.. Send them to Raul and or someone similar. Also.. the zx-10 coil packs are a great mod.. I got rid of the stock coils around 45k miles. Starts better, little bit more mid range... and about $100 mod if you do it right.

Comment

Jmenon I don't doubt a word you say mate but sending them from England having them done then postage back I would be able to afford a new bike mate Labour rates are very expensive over here so are the parts kawasaki wants over £200 Just for the needles and seats and I'm not in the position to afford ir

Comment

I feel you. I suspect you can post them to California for about 50 pounds.. round trip both ways.. if your not in a rush.. You also could have a core set buy in the US send it to Raul and have him send them to you in the UK. Just a few ideas. I have not check with him in a while but he only charges about $250 to just go through and get carbs cleaned and replace any parts.

Comment

13 reviews of Wheelsmith Racing "I live in S.F. and had my own bike as well as my brother's and girlfriends bikes all tuned here. Raul & Otto are super knowledgable and do a great job. I'll mention that their service isn't the cheapest around...…

Comment

Originally posted by Bigsteve13 View Post
                  Guys n girls I got a Kawasaki zzr1200 and she's run superb until last week when it felt like it was running out of fuel and stopped had plenty of fuel so changed the fuel filter ran ok after for about 100 miles then it started again and finally died now she will start first time every time but when you open the throttle she just dies as if she's run out of petrol if you open it slowly she will rev but sounds terrible and finally dies I've changed the fuel filter and pumps but still the same tank and petcock are all good I have noticed a clicking sound around the fuel cut of valves/fuel pump area when on tick over..... any ideas
                  I have a 2002 ZZR1200. I just paid to have the carbs cleaned. Before the cleaning, the bike idled perfectly, but I had problems with acceleration in mid range. Now, with the cleaned carbs, the bike will not idle. I rode it twice. The first time, it still did not idle, so I took it for a ride to perhaps clean it out. Still would not idle. I did the air fuel mixture adjustment, turned out 1.5 turns. It idles better, but, the mid range acceleration is poor. Also, the bike shuts off with idle.

Now, if I hold my finger over or plug the oil separator tube, the bike idles perfectly for as long as the bike is running. It revs perfectly, idles perfectly. I have not rode it with the tube plugged.

New plugs
                  Oil changed
                  Freshly cleaned carbs

Does anyone know what my problem is?

Comment

Cutting the air off tells the story of running lean, Why?
                    WATER.
                    There is moisture in your pilot jets and idle circuit, period.
                    The Idle screws should be turned out 2 and 1/4 of a turn from seat.
                    Fresh gas and "Seafoam" will be your lifelong friend.
                    Do I remember others telling you about the moisture problem?

Gitterdone..
                    Sin's a good mans brother.

Comment

I do not believe that someone has commented about water being in the carbs. However, I will add a can of sea foam to my fuel. I have a full tank of fresh gas. Putting a can of sea foam in might solve my problem.

Today, Sunday March 15, I road the bike. The carb cleaning that was done really made a difference. The bike is a 2002, and it performs like a new bike. No hesitation, responsive to throttle, and actually lifts the front wheel when I throttle in first gear. On Monday, I will put a can of sea foam in and run it.

I have 1-1/2 turns out from seat on the air fuel idle screws. I will go in and change them to 1-1/4 turns to see if that makes a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by altownsend View Post
                        I do not believe that someone has commented about water being in the carbs.
                        Actually dondiego made the same suggestion several posts ago to the original poster. Probably why he was repeating it

Anyway, sounds like you are making progress and i hope you get it completely sorted soon

I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

Originally posted by altownsend View Post
                          I do not believe that someone has commented about water being in the carbs. However, I will add a can of sea foam to my fuel. I have a full tank of fresh gas. Putting a can of sea foam in might solve my problem.

Today, Sunday March 15, I road the bike. The carb cleaning that was done really made a difference. The bike is a 2002, and it performs like a new bike. No hesitation, responsive to throttle, and actually lifts the front wheel when I throttle in first gear. On Monday, I will put a can of sea foam in and run it.

I have 1-1/2 turns out from seat on the air fuel idle screws. I will go in and change them to 1-1/4 turns to see if that makes a difference.
                          Stick some .020 thick shims under the needles. Make sure hole in shim is .125 and completely seat all the way on the needles.
                          Turn the screws 2.5 to 3 turns out. That'll help the ole Zed. Mines been that way for over 17 years. Runs like a bat outa hell.
                          Seafoam and Techtron can be a great normal maintenance items on the Zed too in the future.
                          "If it ain't broke, don't fix it...
                          but sometimes it just needs a mod"

Comment

Working...
                          X