Running problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running problems

Guys n girls I got a Kawasaki zzr1200 and she's run superb until last week when it felt like it was runing out of fuel and stopped had plenty of fuel so changed the fuel filter ran ok after for about 100 miles then it started again and finally died now she will start first time every time but when you open the throttle she just dies as if she's run out of petrol if you open it slowly she will rev but sounds terrible and finally dies I've changed the fuel filter and pumps but still the same tank and petcock are all good I have noticed a clicking sound around the fuel cut of valves/fuel pump area when on tick over..... any ideas

ZZRs are notorious for fouling their carbs if they sit too long with unstabilizied fuel. Chances are the previous owner left it sit for awhile before you acquired it and all that crud is breaking loose now and has clogged up your carbs.

There are a bunch of threads in here on how to clean your carbs if you're handy and want to tackle it on your own.

I had to have my entire fuel system cleaned from the tank on thru when I got my 04. Haven't had a problem with it since.

Good luck and let us know!

P S. Welcome to the forum!
    "If you didn't see me, I didn't do it! And even if you got pictures, I will swear they were PhotoShopped!"

I meant to behave but there were too many other options

Comment

Thanks for the response ive had the bike 18 months and covered 13000 miles shes not been sitting ariund unused mate if i spray card cleaner into the carbs she revs sweet all through the rev range but when thats all gone its as i said in first post thats why i dont think its the carbs but more on the fuel getting to them

Comment

Hi thanks for the response I've had the bike just under 18 months and covered 13000 miles on her with no trouble so she's not been sat around so that is what's making me think it's the fuel delivery if I spray carb cleaner into the carbs she revs lovely all through the rev range but as soon as that's all used up it goes back to the problem when I've had her on tick over I have noticed a clicking sound from around the fuel cut off solinoids/fuel pumps

Comment

Not sure why these last 2 posts needed approval... Something strange going on with the site today... Apologies.

Welcome aboard BigSteve.. Sorry to hear you;re having carb issues..
          1. It's a common problem with the big Zed... especially clogged pilot jets
          2. It's not terribly difficult to service, especially if you are at all handy with tools.... Takes time, but totally fixable.
          “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”...Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

I assume given your "petrol" reference your in the UK. Here in the states i have seen 100 posts in the last few years of carb issues with the aging zeds. We have a shop here in California wheelsmith racing that will rebuild your zed carbs.. install a factory pro jet kit if your so inclined... or just to a strait rebuild clean and adjust. He charges about $200-300. If I were you I would put them in a box send them 3-5 day post to CA and have him send them back. Not sure on the rules on "petrol" residue being in the post.. but it is worth it 10x over. Your zed will run like a "raped ape" Raul that runs shop does the work has 35 yrs experience and designed the kits for Factory pro. I am sure there is someone similar in the UK.. I have 25 yrs experience on MC and cars I would not mess with these carbs. too many nuance issues that you need to know what your doing. Raul has a test engine. you will put them back on your bike and fire it up. maybe sync the carbs and your good to go for 5 yrs+ my 2 cents
            13 reviews of Wheelsmith Racing "I live in S.F. and had my own bike as well as my brother's and girlfriends bikes all tuned here. Raul & Otto are super knowledgable and do a great job. I'll mention that their service isn't the cheapest around...…

Comment

Also another simple issue to check is in the ram air tubes at the front of the bike.. make sure those vent tubes in the ram air ducts are not blocked. There is a "air filter" in the line... often spider webs and other junk can get in there and block these tubes.
              13 reviews of Wheelsmith Racing "I live in S.F. and had my own bike as well as my brother's and girlfriends bikes all tuned here. Raul & Otto are super knowledgable and do a great job. I'll mention that their service isn't the cheapest around...…

Comment

Is your gas cap venting ok?
                I suffer from kleptomania. When it gets bad, I take something for it.

Comment

Hi Bill yes mate I have even set up a temporary fuel supply and it's exactly the same the bit that puzzles me is when carb cleaner is sprayed into carbs it revs lovely but when it's all gone its straight back to the problem

Comment

Originally posted by Bigsteve13 View Post
                    Thanks for the response ive had the bike 18 months and covered 13000 miles shes not been sitting ariund unused mate if i spray card cleaner into the carbs she revs sweet all through the rev range but when thats all gone its as i said in first post thats why i dont think its the carbs but more on the fuel getting to them
                    Clogged pilot jets causes fuel starvation and is the number one carburetor problem in motorcycles. That's why everyone is recommending you start with the carbs. My 04 ran perfect for the first several months after I got it. Had the carbs cleaned and it ran great for another several months before it did it again. Had the entire fuel system cleaned from tank on thru and it's been fine since. It's a frustrating problem and had me threatening to trade my Zed in for a bike with EFI.
                    "If you didn't see me, I didn't do it! And even if you got pictures, I will swear they were PhotoShopped!"

I meant to behave but there were too many other options

Comment

Thanks guys for all the replays looks like I'm going to learn how to clean the carbs.... any advice on this would be great thanks guys
                      Last edited by Bigsteve13; 11-09-2017, 03:48 AM.

Comment

One of the challenges in cleaning these carbs yourself is that even the smallest amount of gunk.. not even obvious to your naked eye can cause issues. Given the age of the zed carbs... I also recommend not doing this yourself. Someone like Raul has all the spare parts around and can replace them as needed. I have seen nothing but nightmares from cleaning the zed carbs. I am also a guy with 25 yrs experience doing this type of work on bikes and cars. Save yourself some major time and pain.... send them to Raul.. or someone similar... MC carb work is a dying trade.. .Zed was the last of the Carbed Kawi bikes and was last sold 12 yrs ago

Comment

Also, when you are spraying starter fluid into the bike, it bypasses all of the jets and just goes directly to the cylinders.
                          I find it extremely difficult to resist the twist.
                          Zero tolerance just means you're too lazy/stupid/afraid to make a decision.

Comment

Originally posted by jmenon View Post
                            Zed was the last of the Carbed Kawi bikes and was last sold 12 yrs ago
                            The ZZR600 was sold carbureted until 2008.

Comment

You Sir, have water in your carbs that is resting in the pilot circuit. Drain your tank and feed it to your car. Fill your tank with "sea foam" added only with 2 gallons of fuel. Ride and don't become impatient with the few stumbling's that will surly come. The water must be diluted and used before running is as it should be. Best of luck.
                              Sin's a good mans brother.

Comment

Working...
                              X