Handlebar Vibration (mostly) cured

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handlebar Vibration (mostly) cured

After all the mods I did last year trying to reduce that hand numbing vibration in the bars, it has finally been fixed. The Spiegler LSL handlebar conversion kit has eliminated nearly all traces of that nasty buzz at highway speeds. The remaining vibration is so slight I have to concentrate to really feel it. So nice.

The mods I used before helped, but mainly the mods just moved the vibration from one road speed to another, and maybe reduced the buzzy feeling a little. Mods previously implemented:
    Homemade (lathe turned) 15oz steel bar ends
    Filled both handlebar tubes with BB's.
    Grab On Grips
    Gearing change -1 front/+2 rear.
    The above mods were the same ones I did to my ZX11 back in the day, with better success. They did not help as much as hoped for on the Zed.

The LSL kit is orders of magnitude better. Worth every penny.

Installation is pretty straightforward, with the following notes:
    Your run-of-the-mill bar ends for 7/8" bars may not fit inside the LSL bar, depending on brand. I used cheap Lockhart-Phillips aluminum bar ends, and the shoulder did not fit inside the thick walled LSL tubular bar, had to turn down the shoulder to fit. And, used some rubber fuel hose in place of the supplied rubber tube - it wouldn't fit in the bar either.
    Two holes need to be carefully located and drilled in the handle bar to accept the locating nub in the plastic switch and throttle cable housings. I suppose one could cut the nub off of the plastic parts, but that's up to your own judgment.
    The clutch master cylinder hose is a little tight, the instructions say to rotate the hose fitting to horizontal. I still need to do that.
    The new master to splitter hose for the front brake included in the kit fit perfect.
    The rest of the wiring, and throttle cables, are easily re-routed to fit.
    Piece of cake.

LSL HANDLEBAR KIT ZZR1200 2014 INSTALL (1).jpgLSL HANDLEBAR KIT ZZR1200 2014 INSTALL (2).jpgLSL HANDLEBAR KIT ZZR1200 2014 INSTALL (3).jpgLSL HANDLEBAR KIT ZZR1200 2014 INSTALL (4).jpgLSL HANDLEBAR KIT ZZR1200 2014 INSTALL (5).jpgLSL HANDLEBAR KIT ZZR1200 2014 INSTALL (6).jpgLSL HANDLEBAR KIT ZZR1200 2014 INSTALL (7).jpgLSL HANDLEBAR KIT ZZR1200 2014 INSTALL (8).jpg
    "I'll keep fixin' it 'till it's broke, then I'll have something to do"

Re: Handlebar Vibration (mostly) cured

Nice work!
    KN, this ride's for You.

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/p...ps2ecwj35m.jpg

Comment

Thanks for sharing your mod's with us.

That type of info should be placed in the book of "ZZR Mods." (Hint, hint.)

Ride on and report often.

Don.
      Sin's a good mans brother.

Comment

Thanks, looks good. I keep thinking about doing this mod as I don't like the angle of the stock bars, so the photos are much appreciated.
        "You don't get slower with age, you just get more cautious." Michael Rutter

06 Ocean Blue ZZR1200, the coolest colour.
        99 Yamaha R1

Comment

Update on the LSL Handlebar conversion:

There is still noticeable vibration at freeway speeds (70-80mph). This is with cheap aluminum bar ends. Still less vibration than the stockers packed with BB's and huge steel bar ends.
          The slightly higher/rearward location of the grips is comfortable. Note the grip position with these bars is not much different than stock risers with 1 genmar spacer - I'm guessing about 1" higher and 1" rearward.
          The LSL bars place the grips in a more lateral position, closer to perpendicular to the bike centerline compared to the stockers.
          First installation of the bars had them fairly upright, aligned roughly parallel to the forks. This position became uncomfortable, as it tended to force my elbows out. Rotating the bars rearward angled the ends downward somewhat, greatly improving comfort.

Overall I'm pleased with this mod. Combined with the ginormous Super G screen, the ol' girl's quite comfortable on the super slabs.

Next I'm going to try some big a$$ stainless bar ends, with internal weights, made by SATO Racing. We'll see if that finally kills the remaining vibs.

Later.

Comment

Update for the vibrating handle bars:
            Added the SATO racing SS long bar ends with weights, which quelled the minor vibes but did not help in the worst range (4500-5100 rpm).

The long ends are on the left in the pic above.

Then...I changed my gearing from 16tooth front/45 rear to 18/44. This, as many of you already know, keeps the revs below the vibration range at highway speeds. Cruising at 90mph indicated (maybe 80ish actual) is about 4400 rpm. Perfect.

Lost the tire spinning/yank the front wheel acceleration, but hell - I spend most of my time commuting on the super slab or just riding around on nice curvy roads anyway.

there ya have it...hope this helps folks now and in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by 021200 View Post
              Added the SATO racing SS long bar ends with weights, which quelled the minor vibes but did not help in the worst range (4500-5100 rpm).

Then...I changed my gearing from 16tooth front/45 rear to 18/44. This, as many of you already know, keeps the revs below the vibration range at highway speeds. Cruising at 90mph indicated (maybe 80ish actual) is about 4400 rpm. Perfect.

Lost the tire spinning/yank the front wheel acceleration, but hell - I spend most of my time commuting on the super slab or just riding around on nice curvy roads anyway.

Hows your MPG with that setup?
              Did you have to take any links out of the chain? Seems +2 & -1 should be an even swap.?

I've had an 17t (might be 18?) countershaft sprocket sitting on the shelf for 3 years....
              Last edited by ramblin66; 06-12-2014, 08:45 PM.
              “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”...Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Just talked to Evan Steel Performance today about putting an 18 on the front. Going to wait until this winter and do the chain too.
                "If you didn't see me, I didn't do it! And even if you got pictures, I will swear they were PhotoShopped!"

I meant to behave but there were too many other options

Comment

Stock sprockets are 17/44. So you had it geared lower than standard?

Ideally you want one of the sprockets to have an odd number of teeth to keep the chain wear even.

99 Yamaha R1

Comment

Originally posted by ramblin66 View Post

Did you have to take any links out of the chain? Seems +2 & -1 should be an even swap.?

I've had an 17t (might be 18?) countershaft sprocket sitting on the shelf for 3 years....
                    Hey Ramblin66,
                    No idea on mpg yet, just rode for about an hour on the freeway last night after swapping out the sprockets. Stock length chain (112 links) works fine, plenty of adjustment. Given the big drop in rpm, mpg should be much better than before the swap which was 37ish mpg avg.

Comment

Originally posted by Moise View Post

Stock sprockets are 17/44. So you had it geared lower than standard?

Ideally you want one of the sprockets to have an odd number of teeth to keep the chain wear even.
                      Hey Moise,
                      Yep, I geared it down to try and move the rpm at highway speeds above the rpm range where it vibrated badly. It sorta worked, but way too often I was stuck in traffic going just slow enough to drop the revs back down into the buzz zone. Plus, 16/45 is the gearing I used to run on my old ZX11, and I liked the acceleration. This new bike seems to buzz more than my old bike, or maybe I'm just getting old!

And yep on the even toothed sprockets at both ends, an old rule of thumb that is probably true...time will tell for sure. I wanted a 43 tooth rear, but could not find one online anywhere except aluminum, and I wasn't doing aluminum - learned that lesson a long time ago - they just wear out too fast for my tastes.

Comment

Handlebar Vibration (mostly) cured

I think the vibes vary from bike to bike. Mine was never bad but it's better with a nearly new set of carbs synchronised, and the valve clearances set.

The vibes on mine start at 4600 and are gone before 5000 rpm. That's an indicated 125-130 km/ h, or about 77-80 mph.

BTW the carbs weren't replaced to reduce the vibes. Long story.

Seems quite a few here like the Supersprox rear sprockets. But there's not much weight saving over a steel sprocket. You have to go to full Al to make a worthwhile reduction.
                        Last edited by Moise; 06-14-2014, 04:18 AM.

99 Yamaha R1

Comment

Hey Ramblin66,
                          No idea on mpg yet, just rode for about an hour on the freeway last night after swapping out the sprockets. Stock length chain (112 links) works fine, plenty of adjustment. Given the big drop in rpm, mpg should be much better than before the swap which was 37ish mpg avg.
                          Would very much appreciate an update after a few tanks.
                          If MPG is affected substantially it might add some motivation to swap my front sprocket.
                          Moving the buzz to a higher indicated speed only got me far enough to order the part.
                          “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”...Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Hey Ramblin66,
                            Would very much appreciate an update after a few tanks.
                            If MPG is affected substantially it might add some motivation to swap my front sprocket.
                            Moving the buzz to a higher indicated speed only got me far enough to order the part.
                            Shouldn't be a major job if you have an impact wrench. According to the manual, you can remove the front sprocket without taking the chain off.

99 Yamaha R1

Comment

Originally posted by Moise View Post
                              Shouldn't be a major job if you have an impact wrench. According to the manual, you can remove the front sprocket without taking the chain off.
                              Alas, I have no impact wrench.

I've gotten it down to the removing the nut only to be stymied by the lack of the right tool. That thing is on TIGHT. I'd planned to take it to the local auto shop "next time" I had it stripped down. They said they'd finish the work if I brought them the bike with the left side bodywork off. It's never been a priority to do the swap, so, I've just been lazy. I even looked to borrow a proper wrench from a neighbor, but I was still short the correct size socket.

Comment

Working...
                              X