front sprocket

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• front sprocket

Hey guys I just got an email from Jake wilson with the link for lightened front sprockets for $5.75!!! I'm thinking about getting one for just in case!!
    sigpic

Who's Jake Wilson?

Comment

Front sprockets are such small diameter parts, lightening can't change the rotational inertia enough to make a noticable difference. I would be concerned with their durability, too. How are they lightened? Swiss-cheesed with holes are made from a lighter material than tool steel?

Comment

Originally posted by Danno View Post
        Front sprockets are such small diameter parts, lightening can't change the rotational inertia enough to make a noticable difference. I would be concerned with their durability, too. How are they lightened? Swiss-cheesed with holes are made from a lighter material than tool steel?
        Every little bit helps .... and adds up.
        Pessimistic old fart ........................ =^>
        Attached Files
        . KWN ... "This rides for you" .

Proud member of "The New Republic of Texas vigilante's committee"

Comment

If those were really good, hardened tool steel, they wouldn't need that crappy cadmium plating to keep them from rusting.

Comment

It seems to me that any weight you could save off a front sprocket would be so negligible that it would have no effect. Are any of us riding these machines to the very limit of their capabilities that a few ounces would have an impact? I think you could probably take some EX Lax before a ride and reduce about as much weight.

Make that, a few hours before a ride...

OK, take the EX Lax the day before, purge yourself, then go riding.
            Effective resistance to usurpers is possible only provided the citizens understand their rights and are disposed to defend them

Comment

I thought that was yellow zinc plating...
              “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”...Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Zinc is silver. Think galvanizing.

Comment

Um yeah.... I really only posted 'cause they were on sale for @ $6. I don't care about the lightening, just thought it wasn't a bad deal.
                  sigpic

Comment

$6 is definitely cheap fro a front sprocket. They normally go for around 3 times that much.

Comment

Working...
                    X