Discussion on making the Zed more comfortable-last ditch efforts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discussion on making the Zed more comfortable-last ditch efforts

Back after a couple of years and hoping to stay, lol. So I have a Corbin seat, single risers, zero gravity windscreen, and that's about it for ergos.

Right now I'm doing the double genmars and getting a cheap backrest off ebay for the wifey. Just waiting on the brake lines. Also looking at MFW adjustable pegs for better foot placement for the very near future.

One issue when riding 2up is a wind tunnel affect on the highway with our heads. Would a bigger windscreen help with this? I like the fact that I can get the wind to hold me up in certain riding positions, so I don't want to lose that. Anyone use any of the adjustable windscreens with success?

After that, other than Corbin saddlebags, some new bluetooth helmets, and some future maintenance, should be good to go.

Anyone have any other ideas or tricks that they like to use? Thanks peeps!

I installed an adjustable Puig clip on wind deflector and it does cut the wind down to a bearable level but not totally gone like a touring windshield. I had a gel pad inserted into the stock seat. Very comfy on long rides. Money well spent.. I also have two slightly different Corbin seats that came with a scrap bike I bought but neither is very comfortable.

Comment

Originally posted by Railrocker View Post
      I installed an adjustable Puig clip on wind deflector and it does cut the wind down to a bearable level but not totally gone like a touring windshield. I had a gel pad inserted into the stock seat. Very comfy on long rides. Money well spent.. I also have two slightly different Corbin seats that came with a scrap bike I bought but neither is very comfortable.
      The Corbin's take a long time to break in. I've had mine for years and is still in the breaking in process. I love mine, especially compared to the stocker.

Comment

At 6'1 I found lowering the pegs made a big difference. I bought a second seat to modify, but didn't get that done before selling the bike.

I tried a higher, touring windscreen, but that moved the turbulence onto my helmet. I also lost the wind pressure on my chest taking my weight once moving at a decent speed. I had the standard bars though, so a higher windscreen might work with bar risers. I also tried a blue tinted double bubble, which looked great with the dark blue paint. The airflow off that was smoother and it was good in the warmer weather.

I went back to the standard screen in the end as the best compromise.
        "You don't get slower with age, you just get more cautious." Michael Rutter

06 Ocean Blue ZZR1200, the coolest colour.
        99 Yamaha R1

Comment

I know it sounds weird, but there are handlbar mounts that can be fitted to the top tripleclamp. Then you can mount just about any dirtbike handlebar that suits you. Longer brake, clutch, and choke lines may be required. Lowering the footpegs would probably be the next most significant change for comfort. I get bad helmet buffeting only when the wife is on the back. I betcha some sort of flair or wing on the drivers helmet would stop that w/o messing with the windscreen. Not a problem for me anymore, the wife hardly ever rides.

I had a Corbin on my ZZR and loved it. Hard a rock, long distance comfort.

Got a Corbin for a 2011 Concours and it is soft. It's not terrible, but nowhere near as good as the one on the ZZR.

Comment

I've heard of that before, but sounds like a lot work. I'll try the double genmars and adjustable foot pegs, and see where I'm at. I love the Zed. I've only owned a Ninja 250 and the beast, besides dirt bikes.

She has her faults, but she's a great bike. If this all works out, just need to work on the front end dip and should be good to go. Either fork springs, or I'll have to swap out for the adjustable forks.

Comment

I fitted an ABM handlebar kit to mine to take the pressure off my back. It bolts to the same location as the original bars. The bars are the same width as the original and miss the fairing and screen, though it is close.
              IMG_3864.JPG

Comment

Here is a close up of the mount

IMG_3865.JPG

Comment

There is also the LSL bar kit.

Don't know if you can get lucky with a used one but here is a new kit on E Bay for $250

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lsl-Superbi...YAAOSwuN5fpTXx

I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

Here is the ABM kit for $ 200

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Abm-Superbi...AAAOSwS15fpDhM

Be advised, that neither of them come with the bars.
                    I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

I have seen a bunch of mods for the ole girl over the years. Mine, after a 19 year
                      relationship has only the Corbin seat I have on it now. It seems a bit hard at first
                      but it's tons better than the stocker. I have done nothing else for ergos other
                      than a ZG double bubble screen. I guess I've just molded into her factory setup.
                      I still love this bike after some 19 years, next month. My only issue these days is
                      finding the time and good weather to ride. As far as buffeting, I found that more of
                      the helmet itself than the bike. My Arai has a spoiler added on the back, and my Scorpion
                      came with one, and neither buffet much at all, at most any speed. I sit pretty tall in the
                      saddle, 6'2" and long armed as well. Bike still fits pretty well. Good luck with the ergo mods.
                      Last edited by CHARLIE; 04-02-2021, 08:32 PM.
                      "If it ain't broke, don't fix it...
                      but sometimes it just needs a mod"

Comment

A Laminar Lip (Touring version) provided a HUGE improvement in wind protection...

Thread with link here: https://zzrbikes.com/forum/bikes/zzr...r-lip-question
                        “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”...Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

So got the 2nd set of risers on. Haven't ridden yet but I'm liking it sitting there. Had issues bleeding the brakes because I tried to use speedbleeders. I've had good luck with them in the past on cars, but couldn't get them to work on the Zed. Forgot how easy it was to bleed the fronts, so I'm kicking myself in the ass for this one, lol.

Comment

Next issue came up. Spark plug boot separated on #2. Learned a lesson about these coils and wires. Never knew they are designed to come apart and screw back in.

Just went for first real ride and although better, not as much as I hoped. Think I do need the adjustable pegs.

Do I need the adjustable arms along with the mounts and pegs?

Comment

Working...
                            X