Front brake upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front brake upgrade

To refresh an old topic and keep the conversation ongoing - Front Brake upgrade. If the opportunity to purchase a set of Tokico triple piston calipers versus a set of Nissan radial mount that both need to be rebuilt and pads fitted plus the adaptor kit for the Nissans. Which way would you go?
    The original Tokico calipers are in good condition with good pads but still don't offer a lot of confidence when the speeds are increased.
    Always have a go yourself. Remember that a novice built the Ark. And experts built the Titanic.

I would go with the Nissins (and associated adaptors).
    Chalk and cheese between the Tokico and Nissins.

The Nissins give me 1-finger braking and excellent stopping.

BTW, with the Tokico triples, you will still need the adaptor.
    I tried a set that I (still) have lying around in my shed from when I had a ZX12R, but find that the Nissins are better.
    In fact, I put Nissins on that ZX12R at the time, much improved. I did the same with my ZRX1200.

My Kawasaki riding sons have done the same.
    I suffer from kleptomania. When it gets bad, I take something for it.

Comment

I put on the 6 piston calipers that were stock on 2000-2002 GSXR1000.. they are a direct bolt on. Had no issues at all massive improvement in braking. I put 40k miles on with them and buddy has the bike and still going strong.

Comment

Tokiko's
        I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

Originally posted by jmenon View Post
          I put on the 6 piston calipers that were stock on 2000-2002 GSXR1000.. they are a direct bolt on. Had no issues at all massive improvement in braking. I put 40k miles on with them and buddy has the bike and still going strong.
          Same here, except no real improvement noted. Sold my bike to Crazytrain; so he can say how they've held up since.
          Last edited by reidmct; 07-01-2019, 06:47 PM.
          How To Cheat on Personality Tests
          1. When asked for word associations or comments about the world, give the most conventional, run-of-the-mill, pedestrian answer possible.

2. To settle on the most beneficial answer to any question, repeat to yourself:
          (a) I loved my father and my mother, but my father a little bit more.
          (b) I like things pretty well the way they are.
          (c) I never worry much about anything.
          (d) I don't care for books or music much.
          (e) I love my wife and children.
          (f) I don't let them get in the way of company work.
          From <cite>The Organization Man</cite> by William Hollingsworth Whyte, 1956

Comment

When you guys say "massive improvement in braking", are you are talking about brake feel and feedback or reduction in heat fade (or all three)?

I don't ride hard enough or in the type of terrain that causes fade, but I'm not very happy with the feel and feedback aspect of the stock brakes. In the testing I have done, I find that I can lock up the front wheel easily enough, but it seems to come on abruptly, without enough warning. Do the GSXR brakes address that?

On a side note: the stability of these machines (ZX11 chasis) is amazing! While doing 70mph-0mph panic-braking testing I locked up the front wheel for just an instant. The bike waggled the bars for a couple of oscilations but continued going straight and recovered as soon as I reduced braking pressure. Nicely done Kawasaki!

Comment

My brakes seem adequate . I do need to replace rotors but hell, they stop me.
              Can I do a stoppie? Why shit no, but I never have tried. But they seem to haul
              the ole girl to a halt when I need to.
              "If it ain't broke, don't fix it...
              but sometimes it just needs a mod"

Comment

Come and test mine with the Nissins, if you like.

Comment

Originally posted by BillDownUnder View Post
                  Gday Bill, been a while and a good chance for a catch up. I will email you shortly and make a plan.

Interesting to see the recent responses after reading through the old posts the question and answers are still similar today.
                  Always have a go yourself. Remember that a novice built the Ark. And experts built the Titanic.

Comment

I haven't tried the zzr brakes yet ( it's still in pieces but soon.....)
                    however I do have experience of stupid heavy, stupid fast with sh1t brakes , I've had a VMAX for about 10 years, so.....
                    My first fix was a pair of 4 piston nissin
                    GSXR calipers with the stock VMAX m/C and the results were astounding
                    Then I found a nice man in americashire that was selling brackets to adapt 'busa 6 pot Tokico Calipers straight onto early VMAX forks
                    next step was 310mm wavy discs from an R1.
                    I got the whole lot together, put them on and while it was better than the 4 pots still not outstanding
                    Then I got the 'busa m/c and all of a sudden ....'holy cr@p'.....now I understand what modern brakes are all about
                    So it seems to be getting all the aspects in one place to get what you want

I do plan on robbing the 'busa setup off the VMAX for the zzr and going back to the 4 pots but I'll prob end up with 6 pots for both

Oh yeah, braided lines for everything, but I'm sure everyone knows that already ( except for the PO of my zzr obviously )

Comment

I found it was a massive improvement in every way. I hated the stock brakes. I went with the waved rotors at the same time I think.. so maybe bit of both leading to the improvements. The 6 pot calipers have better modulation. .and much much better braking power or force. You can reach down with 2 fingers at 120mph and it stops like crazy. .

There are many things open to debate here. This is not one of them the 6pots is a major improvement.. The stock rotors are not great. The floating pins get brake dust and gunk in them that constantly require cleaning. I hardly ever did this with the waved rotors.

And of course get rid of the stock rubber brake lines. braided is the key. Even if you dont ride hard.. this is a very good mod to make. your maintenance on the brakes will drop.

Originally posted by M.Rad. View Post
                      When you guys say "massive improvement in braking", are you are talking about brake feel and feedback or reduction in heat fade (or all three)?

I don't ride hard enough or in the type of terrain that causes fade, but I'm not very happy with the feel and feedback aspect of the stock brakes. In the testing I have done, I find that I can lock up the front wheel easily enough, but it seems to come on abruptly, without enough warning. Do the GSXR brakes address that?

On a side note: the stability of these machines (ZX11 chasis) is amazing! While doing 70mph-0mph panic-braking testing I locked up the front wheel for just an instant. The bike waggled the bars for a couple of oscilations but continued going straight and recovered as soon as I reduced braking pressure. Nicely done Kawasaki!

Comment

also something that needs to be looked at is the brand and compound of the brake padfs you're using with either 4 or 6 pots

i use SBS HS ( high friction, sintered )

i tried loadfs of diff compounds and found these to be the best, little if any fade and a good hard bite ( i prefer brakes that feel like grabbing a block of wood,.)

Comment

Originally posted by spotty View Post
                          also something that needs to be looked at is the brand and compound of the brake padfs you're using with either 4 or 6 pots

i use SBS HS ( high friction, sintered )

i tried loadfs of diff compounds and found these to be the best, little if any fade and a good hard bite ( i prefer brakes that feel like grabbing a block of wood,.)
                          I Agree. The sintered pads with the Tokico's need a lot of heat in them to work and if you are cruising through the hills on the street staying within the local limits the pads can run colder than required. I have just put a set of Ferodo organic pads in the Tokico's and liking the initial feel when cold or hot - also helping with the trail braking technique, they start working quicker with less effort and with the weight of the Zed that does mean more confidence when breaking hard. I am not a track racer but do enjoy the capabilities of this bike when the time and place calls for it.

Comment

Originally posted by BillDownUnder View Post
                            Hi Bill,

looking at the two pictures you have posted, one picture of your ZXR1200 and the ZZR1200 they appear to be different adapters for the Nissin calipers the fork tube mount point looks different?

Comment

Hi Brendon,

The forks on the two bikes are different. The fork tube mounting points are a different distance as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X