Intake cam pitted. Should i try yoshi st-1 camshaft

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intake cam pitted. Should i try yoshi st-1 camshaft

So i was doing a valve adjustment on my zzr1200 and found one of the intake cam lobes has some pretty bad pitting on it. So far the only used cam i can find is a set with valve springs on ebay for 900 bucks. I did find that i can still get my camshafts redone to the yoshi st-1 specs. Has anyone here installed those cams? And if so was the hp boost worth the cost?

No worries Ian. Has happened to many of us and no issues.

The cam pitting issue is infamous on the ZZR. All kinds of posts and discussion here on the site. Just search "cam pitting" and plenty of info will pop up.

However, if you want to add new cams for HP feel free to do so.
    I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

Kawasaki Australia repaired my pitted cams at their cost, on my ZZR1200 and ZRX1200, quite some years ago. No issues since.
      That said, I think that you can continue using your cam without any problems. It is only one lobe, and the "meat" of the lobe is still good enough to push that particular valve down.
      Just my thoughts.
      I suffer from kleptomania. When it gets bad, I take something for it.

Comment

My 02 has a slight pit on a few. Not worried. Also no "porous head" like was suppose to be an issue
        on early 02's. The cams being slightly pitted is no issue. It still has a flat contact area.
        "If it ain't broke, don't fix it...
        but sometimes it just needs a mod"

Comment

I would bet that 90% of the early model ZEDs are still running today with pitted cams and no issues. I would leave alone. My 03 has pitted cams and still runs fine at over 100K miles.

Comment

Yep. The ole girl still looks and runs great. Coming up on 17 years old.
            Ain't got a whole bunch of miles but that's a good run, still reliable
            as hell and hauls ass. I'll probably have to buy another everyday vehicle
            before I can get another bike, but the ole girl is here to stay.
            "If it ain't broke, don't fix it...
            but sometimes it just needs a mod"

Comment

thanks for the response guys, yeah for the 2500 i put into this bike its running strong and just hit 29k miles, unfortunately it also has the porous heads for the number 1 spark plugh hole but i figure some extra dielectric grease will work fine. im going to just finish adjusting the valves and check on it in a few thousand miles

Comment

Ar you seeing coolant in the #1 spark plug well?

Comment

Yeah, just a slight amount...maybe a tsp in the year ive had it

Comment

Maybe not even that much just a slight amount of rust and moisture i have seen on the spark plug wire.

Comment

That doesn't seem like "porous head" to me. It may just be a bit of moisture getting past the seal at the top. I always give a bit of an extra push on the plug caps to make the seal seat better.
                      I also thought that only some 2002 models were affected by that.

Comment

U might be right, it doesnt seem to pool up at all. I do need to find a set of plug wires for a zzr i ended up using a spare from my v65 sabre when i had a crack in the insulation on one (#4 thats bone dry)

Comment

HI, I am a long distance motorcycle courier in the UK, I ride the ZZR1200 C1H every day, all day.

I have had a few of these bikes. All have had pitted cams. No issue. Don't worry about it.

If you really want a seat of the pants HP boost, buy and install the Ivan's carb jet kit.

I think I paid about GBP100 for it.

I would give it a 3 star fitting difficulty - i.e reasonable competence.

Even if you can't or don't want to fit it - paying a mechanic USD200-300 (Most of you are in the USA?) to do it, will literally transform the bike.

It's how the bike was always meant to run.

Basically a 300 Kilogram scrambler.

I clearly remember not being able to wipe the smile off my face, one minute....

And the next, having to have a a quiet word with myself...

along the lines of..."BE CAREFUL - DON'T FOOKING KILL YOURSELF"

Massively more responsive from the get go, and straight through the mid range....

With more precise, immediate power you end up riding way more edgy...a redefinition of your boundaries... what you can now get away with...

BIG SMILE.

To reiterate - "DON'T FOOKING KILL YOURSELF".

All the best - Ride safe.

P.S.

Any UK riders who do, or are considering riding into London UK...

ULEZ - you know what it is.....comes into force 8th April 2019 - GBP12 daily charge. - (total bollocks.)

Your bike will fail the check and you will be subject to the charge by default.

However - if you contact Kawasaki UK and supply your V5 registration document, they will kindly supply you with a EC Certificate Of Conformity.

If you submit the document to ULEZ - Transport For London website - they will re-designate your bike and you can ride freeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

I don't post a lot as you can see, I hope this doesn't constitute a 'hijacking of your thread...' if so please accept my apologies.

Cheers.

Comment

Thant's great emission information for you folks over in the UK.

Much appreciated.

Glad your current and past Zed's have fit the bill for you.

Be safe.
                            I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

Originally posted by zzrzzrzzr View Post
                              HI, I am a long distance motorcycle courier in the UK, I ride the ZZR1200 C1H every day, all day.

I have had a few of these bikes. All have had pitted cams. No issue. Don't worry about it.

If you really want a seat of the pants HP boost, buy and install the Ivan's carb jet kit.

I think I paid about GBP100 for it.

I would give it a 3 star fitting difficulty - i.e reasonable competence.

Even if you can't or don't want to fit it - paying a mechanic USD200-300 (Most of you are in the USA?) to do it, will literally transform the bike.

It's how the bike was always meant to run.

Basically a 300 Kilogram scrambler.

I clearly remember not being able to wipe the smile off my face, one minute....

And the next, having to have a a quiet word with myself...

along the lines of..."BE CAREFUL - DON'T FOOKING KILL YOURSELF"

Massively more responsive from the get go, and straight through the mid range....

With more precise, immediate power you end up riding way more edgy...a redefinition of your boundaries... what you can now get away with...

BIG SMILE.

To reiterate - "DON'T FOOKING KILL YOURSELF".

All the best - Ride safe.

P.S.

Any UK riders who do, or are considering riding into London UK...

ULEZ - you know what it is.....comes into force 8th April 2019 - GBP12 daily charge. - (total bollocks.)

Your bike will fail the check and you will be subject to the charge by default.

However - if you contact Kawasaki UK and supply your V5 registration document, they will kindly supply you with a EC Certificate Of Conformity.

If you submit the document to ULEZ - Transport For London website - they will re-designate your bike and you can ride freeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

I don't post a lot as you can see, I hope this doesn't constitute a 'hijacking of your thread...' if so please accept my apologies.

Cheers.

Thanks for posting! So how many miles or Kilometers have you covered on a ZZR1200? Low end punch, nothing can beat it. You can't dump that much fuel with injection anymore.
                              KN, this ride's for You.

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/p...ps2ecwj35m.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X