C10 bar mod

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C10 bar mod

Does anyone know the length, or increase in length, of the front brake line from reservoir to splitter needed if adding the C10 bars to the preexisting gen mar risers I have on? I've read that all the other lines can just be rerouted. Would that still be the case if mounting on gen mars? Thanks in advance for any info.

Greg

I tried a modded set of C10 bars on my ZZR1200 several years ago. I'm trying to find the post I made about the details, but the site has been moved a few times since then and I'm not sure that post is still searchable... I'm not finding my notes on the computer... sorry... I'll post the link if I can find it.

Here's what I remember from memory, but, please don't spend any $$ based on this... just consider it food for thought..

1. Rerouting the choke cable worked fine with the C10 bars, but, just barely. I had to go back under the tank and readjust things when I discovered that turning the bars to full (left?) lock would cause the choke to engage and revs to go up. Not safe! I doubt very much you could get away with installing C10 bars on top of GenMar risers without a longer choke line.

2. I didn't have any trouble with the throttle lines, but I'm not sure whether there was enough slack to also add GenMar risers...

3. IIRC, the C10 bars had to be modded in 2 ways to fit the Zed... 1. The center hole had to be widened to fit over the front fork valves and 2. The inside (inner, closest to the rider) C10 mounting point lobes had to be shaved down so they wouldn't hit the top of the triple tree (might have been another part hitting... but.. definitely had to machine those lobes). If you mount the C10 bars on top of GenMars, you may be able to avoid those issues.... but of course you run into other issues with line lengths, etc.

4. Brake Lines.... When I did this mod, I also removed the brake line splitter and went with a double-banjo at the reservoir and 2 lines, directly to each front caliper. IIRC, if you're leave the splitter, all you'd need is the longer line from the splitter to the reservoir... Once I had the bars mounted, I simply used a string and routed it where the lines would go, then ordered custom length stainless lines from eBay... Worked perfectly. I bought from these guys... LINK.

Hope that was at least a little helpful... Sorry I can't find my old post..
    “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”...Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Thanks for the info, very much appreciated. I was afraid that if mounted on Gen Mars that I would run into issues with the choke and throttle lines. I was planning on ordering about a 3" longer brake line from reservoir to the splitter. Guess I need to consider the others too, or just mount without the risers.

How did you like the C10 bars? I love the bike, just need to alleviate all the shoulder pain, and just want to get upright again for overall comfort for this old body of mine.

Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by f6rider View Post
        How did you like the C10 bars?
        They were just ok for me... I ran them for a few months before finding a set of Helibars for sale here and switching.
        If I remember correctly, the C10 bars didn't sweep back enough for me. I'm on the short side at 5'8". The Heli's got me the position I wanted.
        Don't recall who I sold the modified C10 bars to... someone here, IIRC.
        “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”...Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Working...
        X