Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aftermarket Header with Stock Exhaust? Or Slips On's?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aftermarket Header with Stock Exhaust? Or Slips On's?

Is getting a black widow header and running it with stock exhaust a mute point?

Or will it be better getting just slip ons?

Also which will sound better? Looking for a throaty sound.

dinky,

The right slipons sound nice and throaty. I had a set of Muzzys on mine.

I've seen a few negative comments on Black Widow on a UK forum. I'd suggest searching for reviews before ordering.

But the problem is there is almost nothing available new except for slipons.
    "You don't get slower with age, you just get more cautious." Michael Rutter

06 Ocean Blue ZZR1200, the coolest colour.
    99 Yamaha R1

Comment

No need to change the manifold. Not much weight savings if any to warrant the cost.

Slip on is definitely the way to go.

A couple of members have the Black Widow cans and I haven't heard anything bad about them.

My wife has one on her FZ 6 R and has had no issues.

JMHO.

I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

Originally posted by BIG O
        A couple of members have the Black Widow cans and I haven't heard anything bad about them.

My wife has one on her FZ 6 R and has had no issues.

JMHO.
        I should have been more specific - this was regarding headers and decat pipes not fitting, then having problems with returning the items.

99 Yamaha R1

Comment

Originally posted by Moise View Post

I should have been more specific - this was regarding headers and decat pipes not fitting, then having problems with returning the items.

Hmmm, could possibly be dependent on the system.

I put the entire Black Widow system on the wife's bike. That included their manifold also.

The kit came in individual pieces (i.e. a separate pipe for each cylinder) All of the parts were numbered and came with nice directions. I personally had no issues putting it together and installing it. An extra set of hands would have been convenient when trying to get all of the pipes put together as they want to swivel in the bracket but other than that, no issues. Our kit even came with nice, new header gaskets. For the money, it was a nice kit.

Don't know about return issues as we didn't have to return anything.

I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

Thanks guys,

I was fighting myself trying to pull the trigger on buying the black widows 4-1 exhaust awhile back then they ran out.

So I emailed them and after a few weeks they started making them again.

I waited about a week or so...just couldn't pull the trigger, and they sold out again.

After emailing them yesterday, they said they won't make them anymore.

I find it hard to believe that soooo many of the 4-1 exhaust headers were sold...yet when ask people on this forum only 1 or 2 people have that exhaust...very strange.

So at least I can get slip ons....black widows or delkevic????

dinky,

Comment

Don't know how many pipe options that Delkevic has for the ZZR.

I know Black Widow has many

https://www.blackwidowexhausts.co.uk...kits-471-c.asp

I found the specific kit that I wanted on the Black Widow site and then cross referenced it on E Bay. Ended up coming from Black Widow but at least if you purchase it through E Bay you might have more options should you have difficulties and need to return the kit (provided Black Widow will not help you)

Comment

Here is a link to the kits available on E bay.

Kinda a PITA to find if you don't know what search terms to enter.

Hope this helps

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...LH_TitleDesc=0

As I said before, I'd just get the slip ons.

Mike

Comment

Yep, I saw those too.

Sometime the website is cheaper...sometimes ebay is cheaper.

But thanks!

dinky,

Comment

Originally posted by dinkyguitar View Post
                    Thanks guys,

I was fighting myself trying to pull the trigger on buying the black widows 4-1 exhaust awhile back then they ran out.

So I emailed them and after a few weeks they started making them again.

I waited about a week or so...just couldn't pull the trigger, and they sold out again.

After emailing them yesterday, they said they won't make them anymore.

I find it hard to believe that soooo many of the 4-1 exhaust headers were sold...yet when ask people on this forum only 1 or 2 people have that exhaust...very strange.

So at least I can get slip ons....black widows or delkevic????

dinky,
                    I don't always believe what I'm told by vendors.

If you go waaay back to the early years of this forum, people dynoed aftermarket full systems. Probably because of the sharp bends needed for the mid-pipe to go around the sump for a RH exit, the only 4-1 that gave a power gain was the Muzzy, which has a straight LH exit.

I looked for a used Muzzy 4-1 for months, then concluded the only way I'd ever find one would be to buy a used ZZR1200!

99 Yamaha R1

Comment

When I did my top-end rebuild, I also replaced the OEM headers (which have a restriction in them where they split for each muffler) with black Widow headers (no restriction). I run them with my Staintune mufflers. Slightly louder and throaty (but not unpleasant), and, according to the butt-dyno, better performance.
                      The Black Widow headers are a well made product.
                      Last edited by BillDownUnder; 09-14-2018, 09:26 PM.
                      I suffer from kleptomania. When it gets bad, I take something for it.

Comment

Originally posted by BillDownUnder
                        When I did my top-end rebuild, I also replaced the OEM headers (which have a restriction in them where they split for each muffler) with black Widow headers (no restriction). I run them with my Staintune mufflers. Slightly louder and throaty (but not unpleasant), and, according to the butt-dyno, better performance.
                        The Black Widow headers are a well made product.
                        So you have these headers?

https://www.blackwidowexhausts.co.uk...ders-380-p.asp

99 Yamaha R1

Comment

Yes.

Attached Files
                          I suffer from kleptomania. When it gets bad, I take something for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Moise View Post
                            Guess it comes down to how much money one wants to/can spend.

$425 just for the headers

Or full kits from $830 up to $1100.
                            Last edited by BIG O; 09-15-2018, 08:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BillDownUnder
                              Yes.
                              So they are a copy of the original headers but without the weird mid section after the collector.

Last edited by Moise; 09-15-2018, 12:29 PM.

99 Yamaha R1

Comment

Working...
                              X