ZZR Kinda Cafe

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ZZR Kinda Cafe

I mostly lurk on this board... trying to mine it for useful information of which I have found an almost endless supply. I would like to say thanks for all those who post as well as respond to inquiries from newbs such as myself.

I purchased a 2004 ZZR 1200 pretty much by accident. I knew very little about motorcyles. Just wanted a nice touring bike with lots of ooomph that I could ride for miles and miles. The bike I ended up meeting most of these goals, but my lack of experience showed quickly with the level of maintenance this particular ZZR required.

With over 55,000 miles on the ODO and little idea of it's history, I just rode it obliviously with a huge smile on my face. Eventually time got in the way and after sitting for six months or so it barely ran. Attempts to sell with now 75,000 miles on it and not running well at all where fruitless... so I decided to turn the bike into a learning experience.

I created a BLOG along the way. I thought some might find it amusing, helpful or even interesting. Others may be left wondering why anyone would do such a thing to a ZZR in the first place.

But for me the project did just what I wanted it to do. Taught me a lot about the ZZR and motorcycle mechanics in general and allowed me to be creative to transform a regular ZZR into something completely different. I was also able to resurrect a bike that was all but written off into a 95 pound lighter cafe style corner ripper. It's still a work in progress but at least I am able to ride it again almost every day.

And that smile I first had when I got this bike? That's well plastered back onto my face once again...

www.zzrcafe.com

Before and 7 months after (front) Before and 7 months after (back)

Certainly an unusual platform for such an ambitious exercise. But kudos for tackling it. Well done.

Comment

Holy smokes!! Is that even the same bike?? That was a lotta work!

While I am master of my sword, I shall never think any man greater than myself.
      ~Eumenes of Cardia

I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth. ~Steve McQueen

I work over by worlds of fun. ~JimmyMac

My photo album - http://zzrbikes.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=146333

Comment

Originally posted by slayman View Post
        Certainly an unusual platform for such an ambitious exercise. But kudos for tackling it. Well done.
        For sure... unusual generally leads to unique though.

Originally posted by CrazyTrain View Post
        Holy smokes!! Is that even the same bike?? That was a lotta work!
        It was. Much more than I anticipated... but a great learning experience.

Comment

Sweet some serious home brew. The title made me think you added a grill or coffee maker but that would have been easy....

Comment

What is it like to ride?

~Eumenes of Cardia

I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth. ~Steve McQueen

Comment

Originally posted by JeffS View Post
              Sweet some serious home brew. The title made me think you added a grill or coffee maker but that would have been easy....
              Ha! For sure. Maybe I will slap a hibachi next time...

Originally posted by CrazyTrain View Post
              What is it like to ride?
              Much more nimble. Just feels more free, if that makes any sense. And I really like the profile shadow it lays down when the sun is low.

Comment

That is some kind of funky!

In a good way though

We once had a member try and turn a ZZR into a track bike.

Oooooooooooooh Jeff!
                I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by BIG O View Post
                    That is some kind of funky!

In a good way though
                    I am sure not everyone's taste... but I am really enjoying it.

Now I just need to find another bike to twist into my world view...

Comment

Originally posted by Elvota View Post

I'll be interested to see how that one turns out!

~Eumenes of Cardia

Comment

Originally posted by Elvota View Post

No disrespect intended.

Wish I had half the skills to pull something like that off.
                        I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

BTW Bill aka Spedxprt is one of our active AZ riders, he will stumble along soon im sure. Im headed to the GC for vacation in late Sept. What part of AZ are you in?

Comment

Cool transformation. I've never seen a ZZR turned cafe before. I've always been attracted to the cafe style. Great work!! Thanks for sharing.

"I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it!"

Comment

Welcome! Thanks for sharing your unique build with us. I have seen a naked ZX-14 before, also in Arizona, but never a ZZR1200. Must be the Arizona heat creating a need to strip down, . Are you in the Prescott area? Let's ride!
                              My ol' ZZR1200 pics:
                              http://zzrbikes.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=156883

Comment

Working...
                              X