My DIY Rear Tire Hugger

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My DIY Rear Tire Hugger

Been working on my hugger for my ZZR1200.

Started with a cardboard frame glued together with hot glue.

I had traced the rear tire profile and made a bunch of framing, then cover it with aluminum tape.

I used silicon spray so the fiberglass wouldn't stick, then started laying fiberglass.

I'm still working on filling all the little holes and low spots using epoxy glue.

Once I smooth it all out, I'll paint it with fiberglass resin with black dye so I don't have to spray paint it.

dinky

Looking good. You have way more patience then I do!
    Our ability to distribute interesting information is out pacing our ability to create it.

Comment

Cool Bro.

I jacked up the fiberglass front splitter on my car when I came in too hot and hit a curb. I was able to use fiberglass resin and filler to repair it. The repair itself turned out pretty good. The issue I had was trying to get the paint to match the rest of the undamaged splitter. Ended up taking it to a shop to be resprayed. You shouldn't have that issue though.

Post up some pics as your project continues

I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

Originally posted by BIG O View Post
        Cool Bro.

I jacked up the fiberglass front splitter on my car when I came in too hot and hit a curb. I was able to use fiberglass resin and filler to repair it. The repair itself turned out pretty good. The issue I had was trying to get the paint to match the rest of the undamaged splitter. Ended up taking it to a shop to be resprayed. You shouldn't have that issue though.

Must have been a pretty tall curb!

KN, this ride's for You.

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/p...ps2ecwj35m.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by jimmymac View Post

Must have been a pretty tall curb!

You know how low the Vette's sit. Then add the front splitter and it's worse.
          I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

Just need to fine tune the shape.

I can't see space gap between the tire and the lip of the fender since the massive stock fender is in the way.

I'm thinking on getting another rear fender and doing a fender eliminator look.

I was originally going to add black dye to the fiberglass resin so I didn't have t paint it, but it's not turning out as I planned.

The resin holds onto the brush stokes and never really settles and I wind up having to sand it smooth again.

It did retain some of the black, but I'll have t spray paint it.

Comment

Indeed I do. Hence Mr Green. I'll bet I've got three and a half Inches of clearance, tops. A dead squirrel could take out the splitter. Mine is pretty worn from dragging, and it even drags pulling out of the garage.
              KN, this ride's for You.

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/p...ps2ecwj35m.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by BIG O View Post
                Cool Bro.

Big O and Luke Duke kinda too hot......

Comment

Originally posted by dinkyguitar View Post
                  Just need to fine tune the shape.

I can't see space gap between the tire and the lip of the fender since the massive stock fender is in the way.

I'm thinking on getting another rear fender and doing a fender eliminator look.

I was originally going to add black dye to the fiberglass resin so I didn't have t paint it, but it's not turning out as I planned.

The resin holds onto the brush stokes and never really settles and I wind up having to sand it smooth again.

It did retain some of the black, but I'll have t spray paint it.

I like that look,DG, especially if it is going on a silver bike

While I am master of my sword, I shall never think any man greater than myself.
                  ~Eumenes of Cardia

I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth. ~Steve McQueen

I work over by worlds of fun. ~JimmyMac

My photo album - http://zzrbikes.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=146333

Comment

Working...
                  X