No announcement yet.

Front Brake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wasn't aware of that fitment at the time, so went with the Nissins and the apdapters. Still 1-finger braking with those.
    The Nissins at the time were a lot cheaper than the ZX9R calipers.
    The adapters cost me US$130 2 years ago.
    Last edited by BillDownUnder; 09-23-2020, 10:51 PM.
    Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement.

Comment

Originally posted by BillDownUnder View Post
      It isn't listed for the 2002 ZZR1200, but is for later years ('04 +).
      I think they changed the rotors slightly. I suspect that aftermarket rotors on the 2002 are really made for later models and therefore require that part.
      It is very thin spacer, but apparently just enough. It sorted mine ('02) out. I used that part number (110091754).

Fiche.
      Gotcha, Thanks for the update fiche. I ordered some spacer/shims today. I'll report back after install to see what it improves on mine.
      "If it ain't broke, don't fix it...
      but sometimes it just needs a mod"

Comment

Originally posted by Moise View Post
        I probably spent more on the Zed's brakes than all of the other maintenance put together. After fitting the EBC rotors and pads, it was good for a while but the shudder was starting to come back when I sold it.

A couple of comments / suggestions:

Do you have the wave patterns on the front rotors offset? It may or may not help but it is in the Galfer installation instructions.

The R1 brakes have been a dream after the Zed. It still has the original rotors after 75,000 miles, although they are now down to the minimum thickness and are due for replacement.

But a few years ago I did have a shudder from the front when braking going downhill. I checked all of the usual things, but all looked good, including the front tyre.

The problem only showed up on certain roads and I just could not find the cause. But after replacing the front tyre it finally went away and has never come back. Weird.
        Are the wave patterns supposed to be offset or matching?

Placed an order for 2 pairs of the Disk Plate Gaskets (11009-1754) as specified for the 03 & later models.
        The Kawasaki site was down, so the dealership couldn't tell me if they were available or back ordered.
        Felt like cutting a set of my own but I don't know the thickness or type of material they are made of .

Will be checking & likely replacing the front wheel bearings and seals along with the gear meter screws in the speedo hosing for a new speedo cable (I cleaned the screws this past spring but they are worn and pretty much toast)

Been checking out all kinds a videos on the topic of brake run out and diagnosis.
        I'm pretty certain the issue is run out on the throttle side.
        Plan is to measure run out and mark up the the rotor, carrier, and wheel mounting face to truly understand what is going on.
        So went to purchase a dial indicator today at Lordco & they don't carry them in stock any more (sad state of a throwaway society).
        Ending up ordering a dial indicator from Lee Valley (due in Oct 8th) & picked up a micrometer while I was in there.
        [Good thing I'm married, otherwise by living on this island I'd have to place an order for a mail-order bride & she wouldn't get here until she already had 3 children in tow.]

I will be servicing the front breaks through and through & might as well service the master cylinder as well with a new piston & cover seal (already have braided lines).
        Seriously considering a switch to the ZX9R calipers - depends on the evenness of the wear pattern on the current pads and condition of the pistons in the Tokico 6 pots as the cost for new pistons and high servicing requirements make the used set of ZX9R calipers look pretty appealing.
        Last edited by bctrout; 09-24-2020, 08:42 PM.
        sigpic

Comment

I offset my wave patterns.
          Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement.

Comment

Here's a link I found on the offset question. https://rolandsands.com/content/pdf/...stallation.pdf
            Last edited by CHARLIE; 09-30-2020, 05:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CHARLIE View Post
              Here's a link I found on the offset question. https://rolandsands.com/content/pdf/...stallation.pdf
              Thanks, that's the same one that I found.
              "You don't get slower with age, you just get more cautious." Michael Rutter

06 Ocean Blue ZZR1200, the coolest colour.
              99 Yamaha R1

Comment

Still waiting for rotor gaskets and dial indicator - now potentially to arrive Oct 10th & 22nd respectively.

In the mean time 'll keep busy getting on the fabrication of a 'flask holder' to fit in the tail in front of my back up fuel bottle.
                sigpic

Comment

Got mine all buttoned back up last night. Rotors offset (wish I would have had knowledge of this the first time) and
                  shims installed. If anybody is interested, shims are 15 thousandths (.015) thick. If your handy and have some shim
                  that thickness, you could fab some up. I had about every size but that, but I didn't want to stack it. Plus, I had to take off to
                  offset anyway so what the hell. I'll road test the ole girl this weekend and report back on any improvements, if any.

Comment

I somehow missed the discussion about the shims between the rotor and wheel. I found them on my 05 when replacing the rotors, and was unsure why they were there. I may have even posted about it at the time, but that was a while ago now!

I have no idea why they are on the later models. My thought at the time was they would reduce heat transfer to the wheel, and left them off when fitting new rotors.

15 thou will make only a slight difference to the alignment with the callipers, and why does it matter anyway whether the rotor is exactly centred?

Has anyone seen shims like that on another bike?

"You don't get slower with age, you just get more cautious." Michael Rutter

06 Ocean Blue ZZR1200, the coolest colour.
                    99 Yamaha R1

Comment

Front brake update. Did about 100 miles today. More tomorrow. As far as feel............daylight and dark. No movement, no shimmy or shake
                      Positive at 20, and 120+. I don't know if it is because of the shims or the rotor offset that made the difference on mine
                      but at this point, I don't care. Going to ride the Cheaha Mt. up and back (probably the scenic road a couple of times)
                      Whole trip for me, depending on how many times I run the scenic 22 miles Hiway 281, is normally about 250 miles.
                      The Nascar, Talladega crap going on between here and there tomorrow too, so I might be taking a different route than
                      normal. Sometimes the LEO population in the area, is a bit too numerous when that is going on. I might be old and slow
                      but the Zed ain't.
                      Last edited by CHARLIE; 10-03-2020, 06:22 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=Moise;n1209277

Has anyone seen shims like that on another bike?

[/QUOTE]

Had them on my ZRX, and ZX12R as standard.

Made all the difference adding them to my '02 ZZR.

Comment

I haven't seen them on other bikes I've had. But, on the Zed, I'm thinking that my improvement was not
                          just the rotor offset, and my brakes are better than ever.

Comment

Do the shims go under the gasket between the wheel and rotor mount? Are that simple washers in various thickness or dedicated shims of some type or manufacturer? You mentions you had many thicknesses on hand to choose from?
                            sigpic

Comment

Part number 110091754. Sits between wheel and rotor. It is a flexible item, ie not solid metal, 1 thickness only as far as I know.

Comment

Fiche:

shows 2 part numbers for front rotor.

A bit of searching shows that:

4108015245C

fits models

ZX1200C1 ZZR1200 2002 USA CALIFORNIA CANADA
                                ZX1200C2 ZZR1200 2003 USA CALIFORNIA CANADA
                                ZX1200-C2H ZZR1200 2003 EUROPE,MIDDLE EAST,AFRICA,UK,FR

and

4108000415C

fits

ZX1200C4 ZZR1200 2005 USA CALIFORNIA CANADA

and my guess is that aftermarket rotors are made for the C4, hence the gasket/shim is needed if fitted to wheel prior to C4.

Last edited by BillDownUnder; 10-05-2020, 01:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X