No announcement yet.

Front Brake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I fitted the adapters as prescribed, and attached the Nissin calipers. I did a similar job on my ZRX, no problems.

However, I find when I tighten everything, that the front wheel drags, it does not spin as freely as with the OEM setup. I understand that there is always some drag, but this is a lot.

I loosened the bolts that attach the adapters to the forks, and the drag goes away. When I tighten the bolts, the drag is there again.

I have also tried some washers between the Nissin calipers, and the adapters, and the drag is a bit less, but still not satisfactory.

The disks seem fine, but I am getting them checked tomorrow for any runout.

I have contacted the supplier for some feedback.
    Last edited by BillDownUnder; 06-24-2018, 12:55 AM.
    Perth, Western Australia.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” - Oscar Wilde

Comment

That's a beautiful upgrade, Bill. Strong work !

Maybe a few episodes of hard-braking will help make the drag go away.

What kind of metal are those brackets made of and who was the manufacturer ? It looks like there's a good amount of torsional force that is applied to that long axis. I'm always wary of load bearing pieces that are painted. Of course the design is good since it works well on your other motos.
      [url=http://www.doverspeedway.com/landing/NFFF/nfff_great_cause.php]See a Nascar race in Dover and support the National Fallen Firefighters Foundation[/url]

Comment

Hard braking - I have been doing that a fair bit. I have changed pads with the set on my ZRX. ZRX is fine, ZZR still still the same. I also fitted ZX12R calipers - same.
        Stopping power is excellent. I do get pulsing when applying the brakes, something I didn't get with the OEM setup on the same disks. It didn't start start pulsing right away, only after a few rides.

I'm booked in Tuesday to have the disks checked, I am confident it will get sorted.

The brackets look like they're solidly made from a strong alloy. I have had no issues with the ZRX. Others who have fitted them to their ZRXs have no complaints.
        We'll see.
        Last edited by BillDownUnder; 06-24-2018, 06:21 PM.

Comment

Just for interest sake, in the parts fiche for the front brakes, there is a gasket behind each disc. However, it is prescribed for the C3 model ZZR1200 only, not the C1 nor C2.
          Does anyone know why?

Comment

I put a set of gaskets of those gaskets on, and no more drag. Wheel spins quite freely.
            The thickness of each gasket was just enough to move the disc ever so slightly away from the wheel..
            Even though they are not listed for my C1 model, perhaps these particular non OEM discs (off a ZX12R early model - my OEMs were warped a long time ago) require them.
            I think that the OEM calipers were more tolerant.

Comment

Ohhhhh man......i need this now......waiting for some test results and longer term feedback.....great mod
              Last edited by JeffS; 06-28-2018, 09:19 AM.

Comment

I had two separate issues to deal with with this upgrade.

1. The drag that I noticed when spinning the front wheel.
                That was solved by adding the spacers behind the disks. As I noted, they were originally only for C3 model ZZR1200s. Mine is a C1.
                However, I think that aftermarket discs are made with the newer models in mind.

2. I discovered that one of my (non OEM) discs was warped after all. I didn't notice it with the Tokicos, but certainly did with the Nissins. I think that tolerances with the Nissins are tighter.
                So, a new set of discs installed.

I did a test ride today, and I was more that happy with the result. After bedding in the brake pads with the new discs, the brakes performed as I expected (just like on my ZX12R I had, and my ZRX1200). Definitely a huge improvement over OEM, and 1-finger stopping.

The ride also gave me a chance to check the performance after installing the stick coils. Starts well, idles nicely, and doesn't hesitate anywhere.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

These front brakes are getting better and better ....
                  No regrets putting them on.

Comment

Thank you for being a great Detective on a front brake upgrade that many will ultimately use. Your hard work makes this site one of the best. You, Bill, ARE one of the best!
                    Sin's a good mans brother.

Comment

Thanks Don, I wasn't looking for any special mentions. Just sharing what I thought was useful.

Although next time I'm in the States, I'll be looking for members to buy me a beer ......
                      I travel there now and then with "she who must be obeyed", who was born and raised in the Bay Area.

Comment

If I buy braided lines now will I need to change them if I convert to Nissins?

Comment

Originally posted by Helmetvonthrob View Post
                          If I buy braided lines now will I need to change them if I convert to Nissins?
                          I wouldn't think so.

Only thing that might make a difference is the banjo bolt/ fitting diameter???????

I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

I used the same braided lines.
                            In some rare cases you may need to turn the fitting, but that was not the case with my setup.

BTW, I run 2 lines from the master cylinder, one to each caliper.

Comment

OEM brakes are work fine.
                              Proud Father of a US soldier

Try Scorpion Helmets

norcalsportriders.com

Pirelli Tires - CT Racing

Dave Moss - Catalyst Reaction

Comment

why not go with the 2000-2002 GSXR1000 calipers they are 6 pot and direct bolt on. I did the upgrade and found it was a big improvement and had no issues with them for over 40k miles.

Comment

Working...
                                X