Front Brake

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Brake

I'm in the process of upgrading the OEM Tokico brakes on my '02 ZZR1200.
    I have always found braking on this bike to be less than satisfactory, even with braided lines, new pads, etc.

I intend to fit a set of NISSIN calipers, from a Concours.
    To do this, I have purchased a set of adapters so that the 108mm C-C Nissin calipers can fit.
    It effectively converts it to a radial type setup.

The adapters come from Taiwan (LINK).
    The Nissins were on eBay, and should be here any day.

I will post more when I get it done.

I replaced the Tokico calipers on my ZX12R (when I still owned one) with Nissins: 1-finger braking, and a direct fit.

On my ZRX1200 (pic attached), I sourced a set of adapters from the same place as these, eBay'ed a set of Nissin calipers, and did the conversion. Once again, 1-finger braking.

"Radial" Nissins on the ZRX. ZZR1200 adapters.
    Last edited by BillDownUnder; 04-03-2018, 12:38 AM.
    I suffer from kleptomania. When it gets bad, I take something for it.

Originally posted by BillDownUnder
    I'm in the process of upgrading the OEM Tokico brakes on my '02 ZZR1200.
    I have always found braking on this bike to be less than satisfactory, even with braided lines, new pads, etc.

I intend to fit a set of NISSIN calipers, from a Concours.
    To do this, I have purchased a set of adapters so that the 108mm C-C Nissin calipers can fit.
    It effectively converts it to a radial type setup.

The adapters come from Taiwan (LINK).
    The Nissins were on eBay, and should be here any day.

I will post more when I get it done.

I replaced the Tokico calipers on my ZX12R (when I still owned one) with Nissins: 1-finger braking, and a direct fit.

On my ZRX1200 (pic attached), I sourced a set of adapters from the same place as these, eBay'ed a set of Nissin calipers, and did the conversion. Once again, 1-finger braking.

I like it...
    '05 ZZR 1200
    '05 ZG 1000

Comment

Nissin calipers are good calipers. Have them on the 14 and 10

Interesting brackets. Still fits the same size rotors?

Staying with stock master? Guess same axial master is ok.

Nissin calipers normally matched with the Nissin radial master with bore size of 5/8"(?).

Not sure what bore size is on stock master.

Should be stamped on master. Smaller bore size = more power, larger bore size = less power, more feel.

Pads?

Our ability to distribute interesting information is out pacing our ability to create it.

Comment

I am still waiting on delivery of the Nissins, coming from the States. They are straight off a 2013 Concours, and according to the supplier, have only 436 miles of use.. With the adapters, if anything like my ZRX, they will go straight on.
        The brackets are made for this bike, and others with similar disks and fittings.

My OEM disks originally had shudder problems when braking. I then replaced them with some China imports which were ok but harsh on my brakepads, always making a grinding noise when braking.
        I replaced them with ZX12R disks a few years back. No shudder, no noise, no issues.

I will keep the same master cylinder, as I did with the ZRX.

I will let you know when I get it done!

Last edited by BillDownUnder; 04-03-2018, 06:47 PM.

Comment

The Nissin calipers are the same ones that are on the c14, zx14 and several years of the zx6 too (and probably more)

Looked at some of my notes.

The Nissin calipers stock are matched with Nissin radial master with 11/16" bore and looks like the zzr1200 has the axial master with 5/8" bore,
          (stamped right next to banjo bolt)

Pretty close, should give a slightly longer throw with harder braking power.

I keep telling myself that one of these days I'm going to learn how to figure the braking ratios, keep notes and try to figure the
          ratios I like best, but my eyes start glazing over with the math.

Our ability to distribute interesting information is out pacing our ability to create it.

Comment

Job done.
            Pics can be found here (saves writing it up twice).
            All up, the fitting took about 20 mins.

Comment

Filled.
              Bled.
              Ridden.
              Bedded.
              Tested.

Faark, what a difference. Night and Day. Chalk and Cheese. The duck's nuts. The ant's pants.

1 finger stopping with these calipers.

:D

Comment

Nice.

looks good, more stopping power on zed = good

Comment

Looks the goods and sounds like it is more than just a cosmetic upgrade. Will have to catch up and have a closer look.
                  Always have a go yourself. Remember that a novice built the Ark. And experts built the Titanic.

Comment

Definitely more than a cosmetic upgrade.
                    The braking is vastly improved. Catch up anytime you like.

Comment

Originally posted by BillDownUnder View Post
                      Definitely more than a cosmetic upgrade.
                      The braking is vastly improved. Catch up anytime you like.
                      Good deal.

Love to see when a DIY upgrade works out well and easily.
                      I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

Originally posted by BillDownUnder View Post
                        1 finger stopping with these calipers.
                        Bill would you suggest replacing the good condition rubber lines with the braided ones when the calipers are replaced?
                        Always have a go yourself. Remember that a novice built the Ark. And experts built the Titanic.

Comment

I would say yes. I replaced with braided as soon as the pocket book could allow, not to mention, after more than 12 years on the bike. Don't think if it as a necessity for the mod, think of it a good maintenance action on lines likely more than 10 years old. The improved braking just happens to be a benefit. +10hp too if you put the stickers on.....

Comment

With braided lines and the standard callipers you can feel them flex as you apply pressure to the brake lever with the bike stationary.

But with a set of decent pads, they stopped the bike well from moderate speeds. I'm sure you'd want better brakes if you regularly ride at triple digit speeds!
                            "You don't get slower with age, you just get more cautious." Michael Rutter

06 Ocean Blue ZZR1200, the coolest colour.
                            99 Yamaha R1

Comment

Originally posted by ZZRRRRRR View Post

Bill would you suggest replacing the good condition rubber lines with the braided ones when the calipers are replaced?
                              Sorry, been away traversing (by 4WD) the desert areas of Central Oz, ie the Tanami Track, and the Oodnadatta Track, as well as working my way to the top of Ayres Rock.

I already had braided lines on the bike before I fitted the new(er) calipers.

Comment

Working...
                              X