Stock Headers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ZZRRRRRR View Post
    Been out over the weekend with the new setup, with some very capable machines. The Zed performed well, a 1/4 the price, twice the fuel performance and kept up all day in comfort.

It is surprising how you can keep up with litre sportsbikes on a Zed, especially when the corners open up. Just don't take any of them for a ride ....

I bet those S-bends on the mid pipe have some nice heat marks. Now I understand why they never discoloured.
    Last edited by Moise; 11-03-2017, 07:38 PM.
    "You don't get slower with age, you just get more cautious." Michael Rutter

06 Ocean Blue ZZR1200, the coolest colour.
    99 Yamaha R1

Comment

Originally posted by ZZRRRRRR View Post
      Here is the end result. As BIG O suggests i have had this section removed and will bolt back on over the weekend. Final results to be posted then.
      I wonder if all models ZZR1200 have that restriction in their headers. Mine's an '02.
      Black Widow tells me that their headers have NO restriction in them at all.

Bill.

I suffer from kleptomania. When it gets bad, I take something for it.

Comment

Looking at the few exhausts for sale they all look very similar to mine? The Black Widow headers look to be tuned length pipe, which would have been the better option for fit and performance in a single or dual system.
        Always have a go yourself. Remember that a novice built the Ark. And experts built the Titanic.

Comment

I have really been wanting to get rid of the dual exhaust myself... clean up the look of the bike. My ZZR has over 70K on it so I am not all that worried about performance gains or losses. I also am on a budget.

What would happen if one were to cut the manifold and just plate it, like in this pic? (saving the side with the mount tab)

Would that work? Cheap, simple genius.... or just an absolutely terrible idea?

Comment

If you are on a tight budget just remove the LHS pipe and put a plug in the end of the header, you wont even see it behind the footpeg. Can always be returned to standard very quickly!
            Always have a go yourself. Remember that a novice built the Ark. And experts built the Titanic.

Comment

Version 2.0. Akra Carbon with modified internals. From a Z1000 with a link pipe lines up well. Sounds nice and looks the part.

Comment

Now that my ZZR1200 is back together, I had a chance to take it for a good run.
                With the new Black Widow unrestricted headers, it goes even better, and the sound is excellent. I have Staintunes attached.

Comment

I loved the sound of the Staintunes on my ZZR1200. Nice work - good on you for keeping the ZZR in such fine form.

"I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it!"

Comment

Just for interest, how many of you run the Black Widow headers?
                    With that restriction out of the way, the sound is extraordinary, not overly loud but a lot more throaty, and the acceleration I get now is excellent.
                    Without seeing that pic of your cut-away, ZZRRRRRR, I would never have bought these.

Headers5.JPGHeadersOn.JPG

Comment

Going to have to catch up and do a comparison!

Comment

I ended up just cutting off the left side, welding on a plate and getting a new muffler. Cheap but works well.

More details and pics if interested...

http://zzrcafe.com/2018/01/4-2-becomes-4-1-exhaust/

Comment

I also turned my stock header into a 4-1. I added a stainless mid pipe and short can. This allows me to cruise around at low rpm and not be annoying however at mid and high rpm it comes alive.

Comment

So Jeff, did you eliminate the restriction?

Comment

Originally posted by JeffS View Post
                              I also turned my stock header into a 4-1. I added a stainless mid pipe and short can. This allows me to cruise around at low rpm and not be annoying however at mid and high rpm it comes alive.
                              What muffler did you end up using?

Comment

Working...
                              X