Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stock Headers

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Stock Headers

    While exhaust discussions are current, I have recently fitted a couple Akrapovic Carbon slipon mufflers to a standard header wilth very little performance gains or a significant gain in the sounds department. (Baffles out)?
    Are there any other restrictions or catalytic gear in the header that could cause these symptoms.? Like the zx14 v zx14r ?
    Last edited by ZZRRRRRR; 08-22-2017, 06:58 AM. Reason: Added info
    Always have a go yourself. Remember that a novice built the Ark. And experts built the Titanic.

  • #2
    Originally posted by ZZRRRRRR View Post
    While exhaust discussions are current, I have recently fitted a couple Akrapovic Carbon slipon mufflers to a standard header wilth very little performance gains or a significant gain in the sounds department. (Baffles out)?
    Are there any other restrictions or catalytic gear in the header that could cause these symptoms.? Like the zx14 v zx14r ?
    Really? Figured that Akras would sound MUCH better than the OEM ZZR cans. As for HP maybe not so much if they were just a slip on. As for the cats, they are in the OEM cans. No cats in the OEM headers. Also, you should have saved A TON of weight taking off the OEM cans. Wouldn't be surprised if it were 20 pounds or more.

    Hope this helps.
    I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

    Comment


    • #3
      The Akras did improve the tone a small amount. The headers have a perforated liner and could be absorbing some of the gases volume.? Is there a chance there could be restrictors between the head and the headers?
      Always have a go yourself. Remember that a novice built the Ark. And experts built the Titanic.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by ZZRRRRRR View Post
        The Akras did improve the tone a small amount. The headers have a perforated liner and could be absorbing some of the gases volume.? Is there a chance there could be restrictors between the head and the headers?
        OEM ZZR cans.

        https://youtu.be/1BkkO5sSbFM

        Akras.

        https://youtu.be/0VZT61Jkddg

        They are QUIET! Can't believe the Akras aren't much better sounding? Bummer.

        Don't know what you mean by "The headers have a perforated liner" ???

        Only restrictors are in the cans.
        I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

        Comment


        • #5
          The bike runs great and goes well with a K&N air filter and have fitted the washers to the carb needles etc. Even with the two end cans removed and the engine running it is only just a little over the top. I might remove them over the weekend and have a thorough look through? A set of Black Widow extractors could be the GO!
          Always have a go yourself. Remember that a novice built the Ark. And experts built the Titanic.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by ZZRRRRRR View Post
            The bike runs great and goes well with a K&N air filter and have fitted the washers to the carb needles etc. Even with the two end cans removed and the engine running it is only just a little over the top. I might remove them over the weekend and have a thorough look through? A set of Black Widow extractors could be the GO!
            If you want some sound go with the Black Widows
            I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

            Comment


            • #7
              Are there any other model or types of extractors/headers that fit the ZZR? Zxr1200etc. With a right hand side exit.
              Always have a go yourself. Remember that a novice built the Ark. And experts built the Titanic.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by ZZRRRRRR View Post
                Are there any other model or types of extractors/headers that fit the ZZR? Zxr1200etc. With a right hand side exit.
                Then you end up with a S-bend after the collector to clear the oil pan. Muzzy made a left exit 4-1, but about the only way you'll find one is to buy a bike that already has one!

                The standard headers are fine with something a bit more free flowing that the stock mufflers. I did think about modifying a set of used headers for a left exit, but my bike with the Muzzys, carb mods and DNA filter was more than fast enough for me!.

                "You don't get slower with age, you just get more cautious." Michael Rutter

                06 Ocean Blue ZZR1200, the coolest colour.
                99 Yamaha R1

                Comment


                • #9
                  Moise do you recall looking back up the header to see if there was any perforated second lining of the mid section.? I have blocked the left hand header exit and fitted a 350mm Delkevic straight through no baffle on still no improvement. Today I removed all the internal matting from the can and again no major sound improvements. Something is happening in the mid section before it gets to the can. The bike runs well and performs like it should!
                  Always have a go yourself. Remember that a novice built the Ark. And experts built the Titanic.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by ZZRRRRRR View Post
                    Moise do you recall looking back up the header to see if there was any perforated second lining of the mid section.? I have blocked the left hand header exit and fitted a 350mm Delkevic straight through no baffle on still no improvement. Today I removed all the internal matting from the can and again no major sound improvements. Something is happening in the mid section before it gets to the can. The bike runs well and performs like it should!
                    Don't know why you are having issues??

                    Once you remove the cans and midpipe the headers should be wide open.

                    Here is a clip of D@D pipes. They are the loudest I have ever heard. I've also heard these pipes in person.

                    https://youtu.be/iAaf6mlEhD0

                    and here is a clip with OEM exhaust as well as with the exhaust removed and just headers

                    https://youtu.be/DjvAz3MKR-U

                    Does your bike sound like this with the OEM exhaust removed?
                    I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Here is a set of the Black Widow exhaust

                      https://youtu.be/XIqx7gBnZpI
                      I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Thanks for the feedback. The video doesn't play at my end to be able to compare?
                        Always have a go yourself. Remember that a novice built the Ark. And experts built the Titanic.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by BIG O View Post

                          Don't know why you are having issues??

                          Once you remove the cans and midpipe the headers should be wide open.

                          Here is a clip of D@D pipes. They are the loudest I have ever heard. I've also heard these pipes in person.

                          https://youtu.be/iAaf6mlEhD0

                          and here is a clip with OEM exhaust as well as with the exhaust removed and just headers

                          https://youtu.be/DjvAz3MKR-U

                          Does your bike sound like this with the OEM exhaust removed?
                          Hi BIG O

                          just found the videos on YouTube. The removed slipons video is the best one to compare. Running mine the same doesn't have the "bark" or the higher noise levels.
                          Videos of the D&D sound great as a dual system. My girl doesn't get close as a single system.

                          Always have a go yourself. Remember that a novice built the Ark. And experts built the Titanic.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by ZZRRRRRR View Post
                            Thanks for the feedback. The video doesn't play at my end to be able to compare?
                            Yeah, apparently with the new software you have to open the video in a new tab and then it will play.

                            Don't know why your headers/manifold don't have the same "bark" as the ones in the video?

                            Weird.

                            Are you in the U.S.? Maybe if in Europe possibly more noise compliant restrictions that might cause the headers/manifold to be different? Just a thought.

                            Maybe post a vid/sound clip of your bike with the the cans off nad just the headers?
                            I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

                            Comment


                            • #15


                              This Bike was delivered directly to Australia and should not have a lot of extra restrictions?

                              Going to remove them this long weekend and see what is happening in that tight mid section. Will end up cutting out that peice and replace with a better flowing section from the collector through to the S bend pick up point and finish at the right hand side exit. I will send through some pictures once opened up and once completed.
                              Always have a go yourself. Remember that a novice built the Ark. And experts built the Titanic.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X