Synthetic Oil or not

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Synthetic Oil or not

I'm due to change the oil on my ZZR now ive read via a few "other" Forums that using Fully Synthetic May cause problems with the clutch, is there any proof to this? I would prefer to change the oil to the Fully synthetic stuff, or semi synthetic. Ive noticed guys on here talking about fully synthetic being used without problems.

Synthetic Yes or No?

Re: Synthetic Oil or not

I've been running full synth in my Connie for 40,000 miles and haven't had a problem yet. Lucas to be specific.
    I'm pretty hard on clutches too. Stocker is holding up well.
    KN, this ride's for You.

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/p...ps2ecwj35m.jpg

Comment

I have been running Motul semi-synthetic 10-40 for years now. I put over 50,000 miles on my ZZR with no problems whatsoever. I have since put over 50,000 trouble free miles on my ZX14 using the same product. I should also note that neither bike ever used a drop of oil or had clutch problems during the entire time I owned them.

"I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it!"

Comment

Using ANY oil with "friction modifiers" will cause problems with a wet clutch. Synth or Dino oil.
        Beware an oil labeled "improves fuel economy" or "extends engine life".

Be sure to read the labels on whatever oil you choose.

The ZZR spec is :
        Grades: API SE, SF or SG or....
        API SH or SJ with JASO MA
        Viscosity SAE 10W40

Lots of folks here use Rotella-T6 (T6 is the full synth version) which is a 5W-40, JASO-MA. It's a diesel engine oil, so it isn't labeled with "S" classes (actually it shows "SM"), but API class CJ-4 is spec'd for high-speed 4-stroke engines with EGR (exhaust gas recirculation). Somebody will be along shortly to explain it better, but, I've been using T6 for 6 years with no problems.

The API specifications for the Zed are outdated. I'm not sure you'll find too many oils marked SE, SF, SG or SH... SJ is still current production.
        http://www.pqiamerica.com/apiserviceclass.htm
        This link will open PDF file --> http://www.api.org/certification-pro...GLISH_2013.pdf
        “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”...Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Mobil 1 15-50. 60K on 2 bikes no problem. I used T6 couple times too. Seems to shift smoother with Mobil1 to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Greentween View Post
            Mobil 1 15-50. 60K on 2 bikes no problem. I used T6 couple times too. Seems to shift smoother with Mobil1 to me.
            I would use the Racing 4T version... Not sure about the non-racing version.
            Non racing is SJ, but not specifically JASO-MA.
            Racing version is JASO-MA.

http://www.mobil.com/Italy-English/L...1Racing4T.aspx
            Applications
            Mobil 1 Racing 4T is specifically recommended for lubrication of four-stroke motorcycle engines in high performance motorcycles.

Specifications and Approvals

Mobil 1 Racing 4T meets or exceeds the requirements of the following industry specifications 10W-40 15W-50
            API SN,SM,SL,SJ SN,SM,SL,SJ
            JASO MA1 2006 MA1 2006
            “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”...Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

In the unlikely event that it does start to slip, you can fix it by changing back to dino oil.

The Zed shift quality is so much better with a full synthetic.
              "You don't get slower with age, you just get more cautious." Michael Rutter

06 Ocean Blue ZZR1200, the coolest colour.
              99 Yamaha R1

Comment

IMG_3377.jpg

I'm running the Mobil 1 Racing 4T Syn 10w40 with a K&N Oil Filter in my Zed and all is good. Shifts are nice & smooth and she definetly idles & run much quieter than it did prior to the oil change.
                Last edited by GBrown; 07-16-2014, 08:05 PM.
                Get Busy Living or Get Busy Dying !!!!!!

Comment

Yep, Mobil 1-4T here as well. Ran Rotella T for a bit, but have connections on the Mobil stuff now. 12 years and still going.
                  "If it ain't broke, don't fix it...
                  but sometimes it just needs a mod"

Comment

Personally I have been a big fan of Amsoil which from what I know is the first open market synthetic motor oil. Does anyone here know anything that I should know that may not be so good about Amsoil? Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by GaryN. View Post
                      Personally I have been a big fan of Amsoil which from what I know is the first open market synthetic motor oil. Does anyone here know anything that I should know that may not be so good about Amsoil? Thanks
                      Just the cost.

Wally usually has the M1 and T6 for a manageable price.
                      For me Amsoil has always bee higher priced. Otherwise amsoil should be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by ossianuk View Post
                        I'm due to change the oil on my ZZR now ive read via a few "other" Forums that using Fully Synthetic May cause problems with the clutch, is there any proof to this? I would prefer to change the oil to the Fully synthetic stuff, or semi synthetic. Ive noticed guys on here talking about fully synthetic being used without problems.

Synthetic Yes or No?
                        Mobil 1 in my bikes since 1985.....................go figure nbk

Comment

The main reason I use a full synthetic is because the gear changes are so much smoother and I hardly ever miss shifts.

99 Yamaha R1

Comment

I'm inclined to try Castrol 4T 10w-40 at $7.18 / qt compared to Mobil 1 at $11.80 / qt. (amazon 6pk pricing w / free shipping. Don't know where to get it any cheaper)

61gYbf8eDzL._SY679_.jpg
                            2004 ZZR1200 moonlight gray, Shinko 011 Verge tires, 1.25" bar risers, color matched Corbin Beetle Bags, stock exhaust, KLEEN system removed.

Comment

There's a reason the Mobil is more expensive - they use better base stock. It's $99 for a 4 litre pack here!!! Needless to say, I use something cheaper...

99 Yamaha R1

Comment

Working...
                              X